Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: August 06, 2013 07:12AM

I was visiting the zoo today and stopped by the tapir enclosure. One was sleeping right next to the glass. I noticed it has cloven hooves, more like a pig than a horse, which made me wonder if they are considered unclean animals?

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: August 06, 2013 10:00AM

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Tapir
looks like they are not kosher. Would a self respecting Jew ride, touch, raise unclean animals?

Posted by: nailamindi ( )
Date: August 06, 2013 12:04PM

I don't know if they're clean or unclean, but I can tell you that they are NOT delicious. Just for the record.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2013 12:04PM by nailamindi.

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: August 06, 2013 12:08PM

Posted by: Jersey Girl ( )
Date: August 06, 2013 12:29PM

Silly, you don't eat them, you ride them:-) They are very clean animals. But God help you if they need to poop, I saw one at the zoo go into the water to do it, then swish his tail to float the poo away. Really makes it hard in the heat of battle!

Posted by: egomet ( )
Date: August 06, 2013 01:11PM

Posted by: anon for now ( )
Date: August 06, 2013 01:14PM

Dirty filthy work horses is what they are.

Who would eat a critter that you can use to pull a chariot? That wouldn't be too smart.

Posted by: fudley ( )
Date: August 06, 2013 04:18PM

Put it in your backpack and save it for later....yum. Tapir's have a skunk-like secreting gland. Their meet is reported to taste like floating turds.

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: August 06, 2013 04:29PM

Tapirs excel in one department. They have a very long Joseph Smith.. er, I mean penis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_hDvnM_xao

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2013 04:29PM by rationalguy.

Date: August 06, 2013 04:38PM

I did a search for verses in the BoM that mention horses. Only one sort of could be interpreted as the Nephites eating the horses. So I guess you could raise a heard of tapirs as pack animals and stay kosher. Is there any evidence Native Americans used tapirs as pack animals?

Posted by: spanner ( )
Date: August 06, 2013 05:27PM

See the bottom section of this page for a discussion on Tapirs, and their suitability as pack/domestic animals (spoiler: they are not suitable):
http://www.mormonmesoamerica.com/horses.html

In addition to the info there, looking at vet records for care of Tapirs in captivity shows that they are nearly blind in daylight (they are nocturnal), suffering serious eye and skin damage when exposed to light. They also have very tender feet with four splayed hooves on each foot around a central soft foot pad, which are designed for walking on mud and soft surfaces. Their feet ulcerate with over activity and if they are kept on hard surfaces.
http://www.tapirback.com/reprints/aazv1.htm

The concept of riding Tapirs or using them to pull chariots is ridiculous.

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: August 06, 2013 06:23PM

That might have actually been plausible.

Date: August 06, 2013 07:08PM

Except llamas are more closely related to camels than horses, but strangely camels are not mentioned in the BoM. Maybe that's what cureloms are supposed to be.

I did find it interesting that the BoM has God threatening the Gentiles that if they are wicked he will take away all their horses.

3 Ne 21:14 Yea, wo be unto the Gentiles except they repent; for it shall come to pass in that day, saith the Father, that I will cut off thy horses out of the midst of thee, and I will destroy thy chariots;

Well, looks like God missed his chance to take all the gentiles horses away. Not many people relying on horses for transportation these days.

Posted by: crom ( )
Date: August 06, 2013 06:42PM

I get tired of the FARMS archeology. All these disparate elements are thousands of miles apart.

Posted by: erictheex ( )
Date: August 06, 2013 06:55PM

only if they have been cumom'd or violently curelomed.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.