Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: fluhist ( )
Date: August 06, 2013 10:53PM

I saw this mentioned in one thread and wondered if there are any researchers who have looked at this (non LDS of course). With a quick look it would make sense of some things, but in others no, at least to me, so I would be very interested in seeing what is written about it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: johngaltspeaking ( )
Date: August 06, 2013 10:58PM

For what it's worth, a quick search of Google left me empty handed.

Posted by: diablo ( )
Date: August 09, 2013 12:13PM

If it was this thread: http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,982072,982072#msg-982072
then I made an educated guess that he lied about contracting the devil's drip from his many carnal relations.

Yes, I made it up but I don't feel bad because Joe Smith is a dick face and is hopefully in Hades up to his neck in boiling excrement.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: August 06, 2013 10:58PM

And as readers here know, I hang with some pretty sharp authentic historians, and none of them have either to the best of my knowledge.

Let's keep the rumor mills quiet here; they're pretty much the domain of the faith promoters.

Posted by: fluhist ( )
Date: August 06, 2013 11:18PM

I agree, I don't want to start a rumour that is unfounded, which is why I asked. I actually felt there would have been more problems with all the women he married and thier subsequent pregnancies etc, plus incidents of blindness in children to prove it. And from a quick look, I couldn't see that. It is something that is probably quite unproveable, and in all liklihood incorrect. Thankyou!!!

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: August 06, 2013 11:26PM

It's unproven, but certainly not impossible. He died before tertiary symptoms would have begun to show strongly. There are accounts that he frequented brothels and consorted with prostitutes.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: August 06, 2013 11:28PM

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,983042

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2013 12:09AM by steve benson.

Posted by: spanner ( )
Date: August 06, 2013 11:42PM

While it may have been a risk eventually, there is no evidence that he spread the disease.

One does wonder about sexually transmitted diseases in Utah during the polygamy period. Likely there would have been no change in frequency among prostitutes and single men and other at risk groups, but a husband who got infected would pass it on to several wives, rather than just one unsuspecting wife.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: August 07, 2013 12:02AM

"Mutant Mormonism: The Genetic Catastrophe of Polygamy-Poisoned Bloodlines," at: http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,983084

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2013 12:02AM by steve benson.

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: August 07, 2013 12:03AM

He did talk about a flaming sword...

Posted by: StoneInHat ( )
Date: August 07, 2013 04:03PM

LOL!

Posted by: Lasvegasrichard ( )
Date: August 07, 2013 03:09AM

There should be an exhumation of what's left of his remains . And why they are at it they should exhume his brother Samuel , who died mysteriously a month after Old Joe , to see if BY had him poisoned .

Date: August 09, 2013 06:31AM

+ a million

I would love to see the results.

Sidebar:

How did these guys NOT have the clap?.
They had to have had it.
They had to.
There was no protection at the time except for the sacred PJs and while it may prevent crabs and crotch wrotch any exchange of bodily fluids is going to be spreading some nasty microbes around. This was a very unclean time especially when they were fleeing the United States. No TP, tampons, hot water, daily cleansings, Axe body spray, etc.

Imagine your existence with no TP.
Taco Bell would not exist.

You get the picture.

Nasty stuff.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: August 07, 2013 03:56PM

There is a rumor that George Albert Smith died as a result of complications resulting from syphilis

Date: August 09, 2013 06:59AM

He should have used this.

http://store.healingifts.com/moteaorcaorp.html

Black gold, Mormon tea.

The Polygamy Hillbillies.

{cue banjo}

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: August 09, 2013 11:40AM

The first-line apologetic defense to the OP's question is likely to be, "If he did, it would have been 'spiritual syphilis'"

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.