Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: August 07, 2013 10:18PM

We married in the Logan Temple in 1962. I was a new member, just over a year. He was off his mission, and someone I discounted initially as he was too "old"! (He'd been drafted then called to served a mission.) We raised our family in the LDS Church. With some of our children, it was like a bad vaccination, as the saying goes. Just didn't take. Others stuck with it, served missions. Eventually, most have left the church in one way or another.

This is the first wedding anniversary without him to celebrate with me. It's a very odd day. It's hard to be festive. I keep thinking he is out shopping and will be home so we can go to dinner but first sneaking into the house trying to hide a package, that is a surprise! (Like I didn't know!)
These are the days I tear up. It's a hard day.

Our 50th wedding anniversary, last year was such a fantastic event, planned and carried out by our adult children.
So, today I relive that day basking in the love of family and friends: visualizing the decorations, the food, the flowers, the many friends and relatives some we didn't see very often, the photographs, and the wonderful entertainment by the Cantrels, Johnny Cash and June Carter Cash Tribute Artists. He rallied for the day - walking as fast as he could with his walker, with a huge smile on his face. While his health deteriorated, his mind did not. Until the very last, when he passed away in January of this year.

He remained a believer to his last days, giving me instructions on his services which he approved at Christmas time when all of our children came for a final visit. We had a wonderful bishop who helped us carryout his wishes in exactness. Most of the children and grand children participated in the LDS Service (eulogies/prayers) and LDS Dedication of the Grave and the Honor Guard with our oldest son, retired Army Major, presenting the flag from his casket to me. That is a moment that is most precious to me and one I'll never forget.

I am struggling to figure out how to live as a single woman - a widow. I found one of the "good guys" - a true gentleman, who lived the Boy Scout Oath and Law (able to repeat it up until his health failed.) He was genuinely kind, and a great example of support and unconditional love for his children. He taught them to drive. He would stay up late typing a paper in his office for the children. He was an Electrical Engineer with a Math Minor all of which was very helpful to the children in many of their studies. We had thousands of shared experiences that pop into my head -- something different every day.
He graduated from BYU with a BES in 1966 and I got my "Put Hubby Through" degree.
Just recently I got a call from the BYU Library that a book was dedicated in his name. It's a bit humorous as it's not something he studied! "From Republic to Empire, Rhetoric, Religion and Power of the Visual Culture of Ancient Rome"
I bought the book for our anniversary gift!

Even though we spent many of the last years with different belief systems, we negotiated a truce! We agreed to disagree. I respected his rights to his beliefs and he respected my rights to mine. Much of it never needed to be spoken.

Fortunately,I have a very supportive family (we support each other), and many supportive friends, some widows also that have been willing to share their wisdom.

This is a new kind of life. It takes all of my strength to get through it. I take it one day at a time. I'm grateful he made it to our 50th anniversary. I will always wish it was many more.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: August 07, 2013 10:19PM

Some of the rest of the story:

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,983585

Posted by: rutabaga ( )
Date: August 07, 2013 10:24PM

Beautiful Susie, I don't what else to say.

Posted by: spanner ( )
Date: August 07, 2013 10:36PM

+1

All the best SuzieQ

Posted by: iris ( )
Date: August 07, 2013 10:55PM

Your post brings tears to my eyes. What a lovely tribute to your husband.

Posted by: Lenina ( )
Date: August 07, 2013 11:04PM

Fortunate you found one of the "good guys." Your lives together were the best of the best!

Posted by: crom ( )
Date: August 07, 2013 11:07PM

I really enjoyed reading that. That's wonderful stuff there.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: August 07, 2013 11:13PM

Thinking of you on your anniversary. 50 years! You must have done something right. :-)

Posted by: fluhist ( )
Date: August 07, 2013 11:13PM

Thankyou for sharing SusieQ. It is a beautiful story. You did get one of the 'good guys' and I am truly happy for you.

I can imagine how hard it is for you today, so please just remember I am thinking of you.

The lovely memories are precious, but it doesn't hurt any less does it?

TAke care!

Posted by: qwerty6pack ( )
Date: August 07, 2013 11:33PM

Great job sharing a wonderful story!

You're an angel, you are the reason I cannot resist visiting this forum; you and the members who are so much the same.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

:-)

Posted by: releve ( )
Date: August 07, 2013 11:37PM

What a lovely story. Thank you for sharing your bitter sweet day.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 07, 2013 11:40PM

A Wonderful statement of your Love for hubby; It's a true reflection of what's going on Inside You, Susie...

Best Wishes,

GNPE

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: August 07, 2013 11:55PM

Posted by: sunnynomo ( )
Date: August 08, 2013 12:01AM

I want to be you when I am grown up. You are one of the neatest people ever. Thanks for being the great example you are.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: August 08, 2013 12:18AM

What a wonderful accomplishment that is....thinking of you on this difficult of days. But I know you can smile when you have thoughts of your time together.

Posted by: Mr. Happy ( )
Date: August 08, 2013 03:04AM

Thanks for sharing SusieQ.

Just a couple of days ago marked the 11th year since my sweetie died of cancer. We were both 44 years old at the time...way too young. She made me promise that I wouldn't pass away before her. She didn't want to carry on in a life without me. I didn't understand the magnitude of what she meant at the time, but I sure do understand it now. Adjusting to the loss of your loved one is something no one can prepare for.

Fortunately, time is a great healer. Your husbands passing is still fresh, but I can say to you...with time, it will get better. Those tears you have from the loss will someday turn into a smile, and a tear for the remembering. Your sadness and loneliness will turn into a type of peace, contentment, and joy for the time that you did spend together. And although that pain in your heart will never go away, it won't be as sharp and will soften and turn to warmth.

Death is so final. If I could I would give up years of my life for just one more day with her. Not because of things I didn't do, or things I didn't say, but because it would be worth it to feel that "joy" just one more time. She used to tell me how lucky she was to have me in her life. I let her think that. I never told her that in reality it was ME who was the lucky one.

Hang in there SusieQ. It will get better...one day at a time. Keep sharing those tidbits about your life with your hubby. It will help you get through the tough times, and help others who will someday be in your shoes.

Thanks.

Posted by: Feeling Intellectual ( )
Date: August 08, 2013 03:42AM

Surpassing half a century of marriage - HUGE congrats! That was quite an achievement! Five decades of making memories together. Sounds like your hubby was a great guy! The world certainly needs more of them.

Books listed on Amazon.com that might be of interest to you include:

"Widow To Widow: Thoughtful, Practical Ideas For Rebuilding Your Life"

"From One Widow to Another: Conversations on the New You"

"When Husbands Die"

"Healing a Spouse's Grieving Heart: 100 Practical Ideas After Your Husband or Wife Dies"

"Widows Like Me: True Stories From Widows Trying To Occupy Sanity"

Best wishes for a different - and great - future for you!

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: August 08, 2013 04:01AM

Thinking of you

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: August 08, 2013 04:03AM

Happy anniversary! I am sorry for your loss and loneliness.

I recognize that this is a difficult day, but you are truly fortunate to have had what you did with your husband.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2013 04:04AM by The Oncoming Storm - bc.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 08, 2013 04:16AM

As hard as the experience must be, you thankfully still have the memories. Take care.

Posted by: charles, not logged in ( )
Date: August 08, 2013 09:31AM

SuzieQ, your post is so poignant. I hope your kids at least called today to see how you are? Do give yourself time to grieve, but, as someone once adviced me, keep the grief on a schedule so as not to wallow in it.

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: August 08, 2013 09:40AM

My heart to yours.

Thanks for all the great insights and posts, too!

Posted by: cognitiveharmony ( )
Date: August 08, 2013 10:03AM

Thank you so much for sharing that.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: August 08, 2013 10:10AM

Love your story, SusieQ. You are certainly one of the lucky ones. Take care.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: August 08, 2013 10:15AM

"He was genuinely kind, and a great example of support and unconditional love for his children."

What a lucky lady and fortunate family. Happy Anniversary.

Posted by: adamisfree2006 ( )
Date: August 08, 2013 10:30AM

Great story. I love your writings on FB also. This post resonates so much with me as we are celebrating our parents 50th wedding anniversary this Saturday.

It saddens me to think of the time when my wife or I pass. It will be sad & lonely with out her since we are such great friends.

Cherish the great memories!

Posted by: Jersey Girl ( )
Date: August 08, 2013 12:52PM

This has to be a hard day for you, remembering all the good years you had. My parents were married 58 years when my Dad passed away, just a week or so before what would have been their anniversary. I know that was really hard for my Mom. I am so glad we had a big 50th anniversary for my parents, before all the older relatives passed away and my parents were still in good health.

My thoughts and prayers with you today.

Date: August 08, 2013 06:25PM

My thanks to all of the lovely comments and shared stories and experiences and wisdom.

I'm overwhelmed with the kindness and support.

Thank you again to each and every one of your comments. They mean so much to me.

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: August 08, 2013 06:36PM

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: August 08, 2013 06:47PM

I'm so glad you have such wonderful memories of your dearest! He sounds like a real gem!

Posted by: Kendal Mint Cake ( )
Date: August 08, 2013 07:01PM

His influence will live on through all of you. I'm glad you found a lovely husband and have a great family.

Posted by: NeverMo in CA ( )
Date: August 08, 2013 07:07PM

I can't even imagine how hard it must be to lose one's spouse after a very long and happy marriage. I hope your family will rally around you today and on future anniversaries.

Posted by: danboyle ( )
Date: August 08, 2013 07:11PM

I am so sorry for your loss....I have read your posts over the years and loved every one of them. Your post on getting along in a marriage when religious beliefs are no longer the same helped me a lot.

Looking forward to hearing more from you, and wishing you the best.

Dan

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.