Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 08, 2013 05:21PM

http://emp.byui.edu/marrottr/Miscarried-Stillborn%20Ensign.pdf

I thought God was no respecter of persons. I guess no "breath of life" = No Mormonism required. If you are fully encased in a female when you die you don't need to be recorded, baptized etc. Funny. I thought the whole Motherhood was equal but not greater than LDS Priesthood? Priesthood saves the souls born by women. I guess their aborted attempts need not sign up for The Plan of Salvation.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: JasonK ( )
Date: August 08, 2013 05:33PM

Don't be daft. This simply reiterates Mormon doctrine that children who die before the age of eight are innocent and d not need their work done. The link acknowledges that miscarriages and stillborn births become complicated theologically.

My first son was born prematurely and died soon after. My wife miscarried her fourth pregnancy. The embryo never developed beyond the blastula stage.

A family friend lost her baby at nine months when he strangled on the umbilical cord prior to birth.

Religions have struggled to answer the disposition of these souls since the beginning of time. However imperfect, and though I no longer believe, at the time I found comfort in Mormon theology.

Date: August 08, 2013 06:26PM

JasonK Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This simply reiterates Mormon
> doctrine that children who die before the age of
> eight are innocent and d not need their work done.
> The link acknowledges that miscarriages and
> stillborn births become complicated
> theologically.

These two sentences together make no sense. So is it their innocence? Then it IS NOT complicated "theologically."

Posted by: JasonK ( )
Date: August 08, 2013 06:51PM

What is indisputable is that children who die before the age of eight do not need any saving ordinances.

But when does the spirit enter the body? At birth? Before birth? What if a miscarriage is a blastula, or a blighted ovum (only an amniotic sac)? Spontaneous abortions very often happen at the end of the first trimester (this is about when the woman's body stops "seeing" the fetus as part of itself and as something invasive). What is their status? If the spirt enters a fetus before birth, can it do so to one that has no hope of life?

Date: August 08, 2013 07:52PM

JasonK Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> But when does the spirit enter the body?

So I guess The Brethren have spoken? Not until a "breath of life" for Mormons? They can't even be recorded as "children of record" unless they are BIC????

"Church policy does permit a family to record stillborn children on their family group record if they wish to do so. If the stillbirth takes place after the sealing of the parents, those children can be identified on the record as being born in the covenant (BIC)."

"It should be noted, however, that no temple ordinances are performed in behalf of a stillborn child."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.