Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: welshgypsy ( )
Date: August 08, 2013 07:22PM

Hope all of you are well.
I saw a thread re: welfare square inequities a couple of days ago but hadn't time to comment that day. I wanted to share my experience briefly, it will corroborate and support the experience of others.
I am back in British Columbia now, but about a year ago was living and working in SLC. At that time I was already 1.5 feet out the door of the Morridor. My ward knew I was leaving, but I had not yet resigned. I was working for an LDS employer who preferred LDS employees but it was not an absolute stipulation. When the Morvine ( mormon grapevine- is there another better term, lol?) passed the word to him, I was fired without notice and was denied unemployment benefits. Ultimately, being a single lady, I began experiencing some emergent situations financially. I packed and made plans to go back to my home roots, but still, was challenged in the interim. I went to my Stake President who, much like Wolf's, turned down my request for assistance. I was told, " since you are leaving the church, go take care of yourself. We understand you used to be ( half spitting) CATHOLIC ( spit.) ( * his spit, not mine.) Ask THEM. 2) we have a poor family in desperate straits who need hehlp much more than YOU do. 3) go help someone else, be your best self, and a miracle will come along. 4) dont come back. As I was working in a helping profession, #3 was a bit of a kick in the teeth! Ultimately, I decided to go to Welfare Square and ask for temporary work there, sometimes they ( in the past) hired people " down on their luck" at a very low wage. Just as wolf related, so I can corroborate some of that experience, i was told " there is no transient bishop" "we dont hire people"," you can take care of yourself" and , in my case, " go ask the ( spit) Catholic church (spit.)" I was also " politely advised" that I would not be welcome at the Employment Centre there, nor at ANY employment Centre, as I was " not kindly disposed to the church." Long story short, I DID see a very wide variety of individuals passing in and out of the gates of Welfare Square ,all carrying out loot and looking happy and satisfied. It is all so odd.
==
ps I did want to comment upon the " poor family". I was "told" that Dad was working a low income job mowing lawns, mum was working in fast food, and there were five children, but " do you have a cell phone? then you are better off than they are", said the Stake President. Really??
Hm. Lets do a bit of math. Two incomes ( albeit minimum wage) = two incomes. Five children = at leats $500 a month in food stamps as well as welfare cheques, tax credits, etc etc etc. I was a single lady without employment a nd not a great deal in savings.
I wanted to share this experience as way of affirming what many others have experienced and shared. It would see TSCC is tightening the hatches, locking the gates, and tightening the screws ( sorry, redundancy.)
To the stake president: " make an effort to help someone else and be compassionate, and a miracle will come along."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2013 07:33PM by welshgypsy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: fluhist ( )
Date: August 09, 2013 08:32AM

I am really sorry you have been through all this. You deserved to be treated with compassion and the respect due any human being in distress. I hope things have improved for you in BC, and that being on home ground has helped as well. Take care love!

Posted by: Chicken n. Backpacks ( )
Date: August 09, 2013 10:11AM

More to the point, if you could prove you were fired for (non)religious reasons, why not sue?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.