Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: August 08, 2013 09:12PM

Apparently there is some misunderstanding about whether LDS leadership permits (or doesn't) the use of the Samoan language in LDS meetings, and apparently it is serious enough for legal action.

http://www.radioaustralia.net.au/international/radio/program/pacific-beat/court-battle-over-mormon-ban-on-samoan-language/1173440

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2013 09:12PM by left4good.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lostmypassword ( )
Date: August 08, 2013 11:46PM

Not everyone speaks Reformed Egyptian.

Posted by: redbullet750 ( )
Date: August 08, 2013 11:56PM

5-6 years ago I remember an official statement being read in my college singles ward regarding singing during testimonies. I saw this as a direct slap in the face to Pacific Islanders, as they would regularly get up at the pulpit and sing for their testimony. They were the only ones that did this. I always enjoyed the change up from the blathering testimony template everyone else performed.

OP's story is right up the church's alley... bully the membership into submission and conformity. So glad to be out from under their thumb.

Posted by: templeendumbed ( )
Date: August 08, 2013 11:59PM

The 11th article of faith is only for external PR purposes. Once you are part of the sheeple, pay pray, and obey your ward boundaries.

Posted by: fluhist ( )
Date: August 09, 2013 12:09AM

This sort of thing is not unusual for the Samoan people. They tend to like to run things themselves (what a unique idea!!). There were several Samoan Wards in the Brisbane (Australia) Stakes when I was last active oh 20 years ago. I know there was a lot of controversy over them. The preisthood 'powers that be' in the area didn't like the Samoans having such a big say in the wards, and the fact that they wanted their own Samoan speaking wards. But they pulled it off. I wasn't fussed, it didn't affect me at all. I liked the Samoan sisters a lot, they were a talented and loving group.

When my fourth child was baptised,there was a Samoan boy baptised at the same time, and he was baptised and confirmed in the Samoan language. I thought it was quite nice actually. If you don't speak English very well, how can you 'bless' someone in it?

Guess I was a rebel even then and didn't know it!!

Posted by: JohnStockton12 ( )
Date: August 09, 2013 01:02AM

I feel so bad the white man went and lied to all those nice people over in the islands throughout the Pacific.

I love how tight-knit the poly wards are. It really is a big family in those wards. I was able to see what they were like on a mission. When the church collapses, I hope those good people get a building and get to continue their closeness and culture in it without the lies of Joe Smith in their life.

Posted by: spanner ( )
Date: August 09, 2013 02:13AM

Note that it is an Australian unit that has banned Samoan. A Kiwi lawyer is making the complaint for some reason.

Here in NZ there are Samoan wards in the main cities. Since white Mormons are a distinct minority, I strongly doubt that Samoans would be prevented from using Samoan in church, although from experience, Maori bishops and SPs are just as capable of being arrogant pricks as any Utahn.

My TBM mother teaches seminary to a group of about 8 Samoans. She calls them her grandchildren and has way more contact with them than with any of her apostate kids or grandkids. When I visit there are always some of her "other grandchildren" around. Their parents came over to NZ to work in the freezing works here, they work long hard hours so the kids gravitate to my parents place. Nice kids but totally brainwashed.

I can't confirm this is one of our Kiwi Samoans, but his name is a big Mormon name. This has been big news lately:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErL5MRgEMmE

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.