Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: August 13, 2013 09:24PM

Firstly: A Marvelous Work and a Wonder was written by the wonderfully goofy apostle who probably knew no guile, Le Grand Richards. (One of my TBM roommates always referred to him as The Big Dick 'cause of his name.) Richards seemed too goofy and nice to be a bad guy

Secondly: She says she was once a pompous ass (http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,987852,988475#msg-988475), and I bear solemn witness that that is likely not true. She's a FB friend whom I've actually met (unlike other FB friends). So don't believe her. She's just being wrong again.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: releve ( )
Date: August 13, 2013 09:47PM

I have never had the pleasure of meeting her, but she writes like a village elder, so I'm sure that you're right about her being wrong when she calls herself a pompous ass.

Posted by: fluhist ( )
Date: August 14, 2013 04:35AM

I LOVE the reference to the village elder releve, I told her that here amongst the Aboriginal community she would be an honoured elder, an "Auntie", so I couldn't agree more!

Cludgie, I am sure she saw herself as a pompous ass 'inside' but well may have presented a different side to the world. I can relate a little. But it has taught her well and she has a lot of wisdom as a result, and more power to her!!

She is a sweetie!

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: August 14, 2013 02:51PM

Thanks, you guys.

Perhaps I might say I am a recovering pompous ass. I wince with embarrassment when I recall the certainty with which I gave my opinions when I was in my early thirties and thought the lack of tragedy in my life was the result of my righteousness.

There is nothing more humbling than recalling your own Mormon certainty and the embarrassingly thoughtless comments you made from your vantage point as a goddess in embryo.

"Remember who you are!"

Ugh. I'd rather not.

I am hoping you are all coming to the Exmormon Conference in October where we will have a chance to meet in person!

Both cludgie and fluhist tried to leave RfM and I talked them out of it!!! Now look at you-- stars shining bright with wit and clarity so others can see what it's like to own your own life.

Anagrammy

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: August 14, 2013 03:01PM

Totally Off Topic.

But you brought up the name LeGrand Richards. When I was on my mission, a companion of mine told me this story of this special witness for Jesus Christ. My companion said that back in the early 70s LeGrand was scheduled to come to a special fireside in his ward in California. Since he was an apostle, my companion thought it would be a "marvelous work and a wonder" to invite all his nonmember friends to this special evening of spiritual insight. He said that after about ten minutes on some spiritual topic, LeGrand, out of the blue, asks, "Who wants to hear animal calls?" and spent the next hour or so doing different animal impersonations. Companion said he couldn't even look at his friends for months.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: August 14, 2013 04:43PM

I was wrong about that, but hey, it's so hard to keep the assholes straight.

LOL

Ana

Posted by: fluhist ( )
Date: August 14, 2013 07:55PM

Thankyou Anagrammy, for talking me into staying on the site, and also for being there for me. It is much appreciated. Thankyou for the star reference, heh heh, thats a new one for me. BUT I will accept it, heh heh.

How I would LOVE to be at the conference, but the 11 thousand mile trip is a bit of a problem!! Is there a way my best wishes could be passed onto all there? I would love that!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.