Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: August 14, 2013 10:35PM

I blame Steve Benson for clearing up for last couple intangible nonsensical kinks....
Yes, I blame Steve Benson for my Rabid, skeptical Atheism...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: August 14, 2013 10:36PM

God, for being such a complete fuck up.

Posted by: Uncle Dale ( )
Date: August 14, 2013 10:45PM

I blame myself for having believed Church leaders
who told me lies about Joseph Smith and the history
of Mormonism. I really should have been more alert
to the possibility that they were knowing liars.

As for faith -- it is still an important part of my
life. I have faith that my wife really will continue
to love me. I have faith that we are all part of a
vast, wonderful and incredibly complex existence.

Sometimes I go a little overboard, and blame myself
for all the injustice and suffering in the universe.
But then the mood passes and I recall that it is
egotistical to let Vedantist Philosophy have that
much influence in life.

UD

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: August 14, 2013 10:48PM

Believe it or not I have to thank Spencer W. for making it very clear that it was all dangerous bullsh!!

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: August 14, 2013 10:56PM

Myself, for my relentless curiosity.

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: August 14, 2013 11:00PM

Fact

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: August 14, 2013 11:02PM

Myself, why didn't I research online sooner? Oh and "Sister Wives" for mentioning JS and polyandry.

Posted by: spanner ( )
Date: August 14, 2013 11:03PM

Boring seminary teacher - so I actually read the PoGP and realised it was nonsense.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: August 14, 2013 11:09PM

There are a lot of people who filled me in on what's going on with mormonism.

I have to give a lot of credit to Richard Packham though. He was the one who put out the information that not only convinced me, but also my husband.

As a result DH and I left together. My worst nightmare would have been my husband staying and me not being able to do that.

Nightmare didn't happen. Thanks Richard

At the same time, cannot ignore Steve Benson. He certainly had an influence in my decision. Also John Dehlin, and all of the historians that wrote about mormon history.

The one who had the MOST influence though was Joseph Smith. He totally and completely convinced me that he was a con man and a pervert. Too bad the Mormons themselves can't get up the courage to tell the real story about that piece of slime. If you know Joe, you will never be a Mo.

Posted by: templeendumbed ( )
Date: August 14, 2013 11:10PM

Pedophile Smith Jr., but probably T.G. Madsen for giving me the impression it would be good to look into the life of P.S. Jr., as a way of strengthening my testimonkey. That isn't the case.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 14, 2013 11:11PM

Hugh Nibley. I actually read his footnotes.

Thanks, Hugh.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: August 14, 2013 11:11PM

Of course, they never taught me to rely on faith. I had fallen from the very beginning

Posted by: sizterh ( )
Date: August 14, 2013 11:12PM

I really feel my parents not giving me enough love or attention made it possible for me to walk away.

Posted by: lucky ( )
Date: August 14, 2013 11:13PM

My personal *Jesus*, who kept telling me that MORmONS are
( FUCKING ASSHOLES and GOD DAMN LIARS that He can't stand) not all that they claim to be, not even close. After so many years of being subjected to the cruelty and abuse of my MORmON male parent and his MORmON church in the name of MORmON Jesus -who my personal Jesus can't stand, I finally had to admit that my Jesus was entirely correct.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: August 14, 2013 11:23PM

I didn't have a faith downfall - I have more faith than ever. It's just not faith in Mormonism.

Posted by: armtothetriangle ( )
Date: August 14, 2013 11:46PM

+100

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: August 14, 2013 11:25PM

I don't blame anyone.
I changed my mind about my choice of beliefs by faith after doing my own research.

Besides, it's not about faith in general. I have plenty of that!

I just don't place any faith in religions.

I'll borrow and use universal truths/concepts wherever they are found.

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: August 14, 2013 11:57PM

Best answer. I agree (even though I wrote a long detailed post about my experience.)

DT

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: August 14, 2013 11:27PM

A couple bishops, who both had significantly more arrogance than inspiration.

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: August 14, 2013 11:54PM

A high councilman who was with me on a work project. I was familiar with this man who was very highly regarded by most members as a spiritual giant who knew everything about "the gospel" and was very outspoken.

At some point during the evening it was just the two of us working on a fence out in a field away from everyone else. Somehow the Book of Mormon and Joseph Smith became the topic of discussion... And in one quick jab of a sentence he started me on my journey.

He said: "Joseph Smith was a whoremonger."

Five words. Just five words.

My reply was one of astonishment. I simply asked him to explain his comment, which he proceeded to do in a very detailed manner.

Within 15 minutes I knew Joseph Smith was a polygamist. Abused young girls and even married other mens wives. When I say I KNEW, I mean it. This man detailed names, dates, accounts and the sources of those accounts.

This man was committed and believed all of these things to be true. He later informed me that he didn't let these facts lead him to doubt the truthfulness of "the gospel."

Needless to say I didn't either–right away. Other incidents with leaders led me to determine if there was any hope for members who fell away and left the church. Could they find happiness?

Then I found Mormon Stories...

The chicken was in the pot and John Dehlin said "cook it."

I was done.

DT

Posted by: Alpiner ( )
Date: August 14, 2013 11:58PM

A career in quality assurance, where I spent my days picking apart products to ensure they were 99.999% reliable. Then realizing that I had yet to turn such a critical eye on my religion, which was the foundation for my whole life's decision-making paradigm. A large chunk of what I did was analyzing behavioral paths leading to failure conditions -- on other words, determining *why* people make the choices they do.

Special thanks to Richard Packham, who explains everything in such an agreeable, matter-of-fact way that made the information presented easy to digest.

Also to William Law, who though long dead, proved the inspiration for further research. Trying to figure out why he behaved the way he did (I went so far as to track down the only library copy of his journal available in Utah County) led me to understand better what happened in Nauvoo.

And to Todd Compton, whose "In Sacred Loneliness" is a dry, analytic account of some of the most heart-wrenching and tragic relationships on the frontier. It was reminiscent of reading crime reports, where the jargon and lack of emotion mask the pain and tragedy underlying the events.

I've enjoyed the works of a few individuals here. Steve Benson has provided some fascinating insider insight to church operations, and he cites his sources. I may not always agree with his conclusions, but his research is always compelling.

I have the likes of Ed Decker and his evangelical jagoff friends for staying in the church as long as I did. Their shoddy workmanship and obvious agenda masked the real problems underlying Mormonism for a long time.

There are those who are influential -- such as the Tanners -- in the Mormonism scholarly world, but I've not yet read any of their work.

Posted by: qwerty6pack ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 12:07AM

Joseph Smith

His wives (other guys wives, girls, twins, mother daughter combos).
Book of "Abraham"
Felony convictions
Pedophilia
Manipulations
Drinking
Shooting at people.
Sending others to shoot at people.
Threatening (Emma mostly, with "Shall Be Destroyed" but also Helen Mar Kimball).

Paul H Dunn was a key figure.

Temple blood oaths were an accelerant.

Spencer W Kimball "The Miracle of Forgiveness" was actually the condemnation of humanity.

Lots more...

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 12:25AM

I blame my TBM, Utah, Mormon-Royalty, RS Prez MIL. If it weren't for her shining example of busy-body nosiness, I might never have discovered the "true" church!

;o)

Posted by: notanymore ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 12:29AM

Whoever posted a reply on a CNN article (Romney campaign) about the problems with the Book of Abraham. Wish I could thank that person today!

Posted by: Testiphony (can't login) ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 12:29AM

I'd have to lay some of the blame(read: credit) on the feet of M. Russell Ballard. During a priesthood GC session on my mission, he told us missionaries that when we got home we needed to understand that we were released from our missions, not released from the church.

What that did was establish a precedent from the 15 itself that leaving was an option. Up till that point I knew I was dissatisfied with moism and planned on leaving eventually. He basically encouraged me to leave ASAP.

Otherwise it was that first kid I talked to on day 1 with the AP's. I was supposed to be learning to aggressively hassle people about their moral choices, but all I could think was how on earth did I know what was best for that kid? I hated the aggressiveness of those AP's and was embarrassed to be seen with them. They were so cluelessly out of touch. I never used their aggressive style and did not like baptizing people.

Posted by: releve ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 01:59AM

Joseph Smith, because he couldn't get one simple story straight. Who, What, When and Where are the elements of a good story. The story he told varied from version to version in all four elements. I don't think that could happen if you were telling a true story.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 10:40AM

All he/she/it had to do was answer my freakin' prayers. I know there are a lot of people praying out there, but I thought God could multitask.

Date: August 15, 2013 10:56AM

Did you forget to take a number? :)

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 10:55AM

Daniel C. Peterson was the first Mormon I ever heard admit the vicious antimormon lie that the BoM was translated by a seerstone in a hat. That sent me looking and discovering what would collapse my already sagging shelf.

My Bishop was hugely instrumental in showing me that to the church I was a commodity, that it didn't matter what I read by whom as long as I performed my duties and honored my covenants, and that it was a sin to learn the truth about the church or to believe past prophets.

My shelf was sagging, sometimes my faith was flagging, but I was wholly unprepared for the proof that sent me bagging. Thanks guys!

Date: August 15, 2013 11:00AM

Thank you quinlansolo. I just want to say I love this thread but it should have been called "Who do you CREDIT with your escape?"

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 11:10AM

A better question (ala Robert Millet) or the question that should have been asked.

This thing falls apart like a good crescent roll with any real and serious questioning.

Yes, there is better communication today through improved technology.

There has been a strenuous effort by LDS Inc to conceal its history.

However, as a BIC of 'pioneer stock', though this history was actively hidden, my relatives should have been living through it.

Someone, somewhere along my long ancestry should have called BS. It is not as though it was hidden in obscure libraries, they were actually living there.

A loss of some concocted faith is less important than discovery of truth. However, it should have happened better than a century ago, and I should not have been BIC, because someone in my family should have been paying at least a little attention.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2013 11:11AM by deco.

Posted by: iris ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 11:20AM

Abraham Lincoln and my study of history (mostly American) with many books' timelines during the 1800s. AL signed the Morrill Anti-Bigamy Act of 1862. Lights went on. What about the 12th Article of Faith? Even though Utah was only a territory, it was subject to the laws of the US. I always hated the thought of polygamy when I was growing up and into adulthood so tried to ignore the subject when studying church history. I knew JS was a polygamist but didn't know the extent to which he lived it. Then I learned about the anti-polygamy laws in place when JS lived and I thought how could one organize a church with 13 articles of faith and not at least live those articles? It didn't make sense to me.

There were many other discoveries/events that soured my feelings for the church and the church leadership like Prop. 8, and even with that it still took me another year and a half to determine I'd had enough.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 11:20AM

FAIR

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.