Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: templeendumbed ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 05:48PM

Reading a thread today about the big M and thinking back on earlier threads regarding other churches not questioning youth about their M doings, I thought the time has come to get the word out for all churchco. youth not to confess to a thing.

Churchco. is not going to change their policy on letting bishops and SPs get their jolleys from hearing these stories and piling on the guilt. The youth have no idea how this information will not just shame them, but also follow them.

My question is what kind of campaign could we undertake that would get the youth to learn not to confess anything to their penishood leaders, because the only thing that is certain - it is not for their benefit.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Albinolamanite ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 05:52PM

If you google the word mormon, this website is the 5th result. The best thing anyone could do is to keep contributing to this site.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 06:00PM

I agree with that. Also, a good sex-education program in school can do wonders. It was through sex-ed that I learned that masturbation is an entirely normal and healthy behavior. My instructor showed us examples of the old scare campains against it (i.e., it will grow hair on your palms!) Seeing the silliness of those claims gave a lot of creedence to what he was teaching.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 07:33PM

I also think sex education helps, and that includes taking Human Sexuality in college. I shocked my TBM ex-husband by not freaking out and reassuring him that masturbation is a healthy thing when I walked in on him. What he did in the bedroom by himself was not my business, and I certainly was not going to rat on him to the bishop.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2013 07:36PM by adoylelb.

Date: August 15, 2013 06:09PM

I was thinking something more like a youtube video that explains all the reasons the youth should not confess to anything, some people sharing their experiences with very detailed questions, being shamed - just all the horror stories ever told.

Most importantly the video needs to explain that this is the kind of thing that only churchco. and scientology do.

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 07:51PM

If you were making a video, you could have some youth telling something to his/her bishop. Then have the bishop announce it his at dinner table or at a church meeting. Before you know it, everyone in the church knows and is laughing at or judging the youth.

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 07:55PM

When I was on my mission I had some doubts, mentioned to my MP about fossil records and the whole death before Adam thing. Can't remember what his non-helpful response was, but I distinctly recall my ZL roommate coming back from the ZL conference and relating how at one point the MP mocked "an Elder" saying in a whiny voice "but what about the dinosaurs".

He may not have identified me, but that breach of trust has stuck, in my mind,

Posted by: msp ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 10:40PM

I recall a topic a little while back on producing a video like this. It seemed those involved were quite far into planning, though they moved discussion to somewhere off the site, so I'm not sure what became of it. If you were to make a new topic about it I'm sure one of those involved will see it and respond!

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 07:47PM

Why just youth? Regardless of age you shouldn't confess anything to a morg bishop.

Date: August 15, 2013 08:37PM

Good Point. I guess I focused on the youth mainly because this is an enormous impropriety on the part of the church, whereas with adults its a huge impropriety. Also, I think more of the general population would freak about the youth interviews.

Date: August 17, 2013 11:31PM

I am topping because I think we need to keep youth (people in general) from confessing anything to the cult, not just masturbation.

Any other ideas out there?

Posted by: Rowell back ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 08:04PM

I think instagram quotes on funny pictures would work best.

Something like:
99.9% of people masturbate.
100% of non Mormons are asked about it by their church leaders.

99.9% of people masturbate.
0% need to confess it to their church leaders.

Posted by: Cowardly lion ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 08:39PM

THAT A GOOD IDEA! What about a exmo. site for the youth? Bad idea???

Posted by: StoneInHat ( )
Date: August 17, 2013 11:41PM

I was thinking something similar along the lines of Facebook. I wonder how many friends I'd alienate doing this though.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 08:46PM

I would like to see people start talking about the "file" that is kept on each young man. If a youth knew that his file begins with his 12 year old interviews and is PERMANENT, he would never confess anything.

Unfortunately, most TBM 12 year olds just don't have a clue what its like to be tracked and labeled and processed through a system like a Holstein. Measured, evaluated, labeled, results projected, statistics maintained, etc.

Mormon youth are groomed to have no boundaries or borders and to allow adults to ask sexual questioning is part of it. Remember, having no boundaries means youth are less likely to report abuse to their parents and more likely to accept it, think they misread it, or think it was their fault.

It's up to parents to protect their children from sexual predation and as the whole society goes, so go the Mormons. We have seen this with the gay issue.

People will someday be shocked that they accepted so much nontransparency from Mormons who took their money. This will come after the whole facade cracks and the embezzlements and misuses of tithing money is being prosecuted in the courts.

Anagrammy

Posted by: jong1064 ( )
Date: August 18, 2013 07:58AM

Anagrammy,are you serious about the files? This is the first I've heard of this.

Posted by: A ANON ( )
Date: August 16, 2013 11:59AM

Best reply:

"I've never had a problem with masturbation."

Date: August 17, 2013 11:46PM

I've discussed this with my teen daughter. I told her not to discuss anything sexual with the Bishop, not the "M" word, not pre-marital sex, petting, oral sex, nothing! I told her to talk to her mom or I if she has any questions. DW is onboard with me on this one. She agrees that sexual issues are of a family nature and are private and Bishop has no authority in the matter. DW and DD are both TBMs, but feel that anything considered a sin is between them and the Lord and the church has no place in it.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: August 18, 2013 12:06AM

Produce a YouTube video

"Mormon Interviews"

Teach the youth how to speak to power by a simulated interview.

Promote it on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2013 12:06AM by gentlestrength.

Date: August 18, 2013 03:45AM

I like this one!

Is there anyone with the appropriate skills to do this?

Date: August 18, 2013 03:53AM

I don't know how, but there has to be a way to get a big message out there to let the youth of churchco. know that they should not share anything with a skeevy insurance salesman behind closed doors.

I really just want to get the creative juices flowing among those that are on the board that are good at making videos. I have thought of contacting Mr. Deity to see if he could come up with a great take on it. I just feel this is something that is one of the most important elements needed to shut the cult down from current insiders.

I only know that it's churchco. and syentalligy that require this kind of crap.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: August 18, 2013 11:47AM

I nominate fidget to make a video.

She could just talk and give the down low to young people that they should NEVER give sexual information to ANY adults other than family members.

Fidget has a great confessional style and she's young/hip. I can see her giving good advice to naive boys and girls, telling them that adults sometimes use the information AGAINST them or to embarrass them.

Every young person should know that adults live in a blurry world when it comes to sex and they should trust NO ONE with their fantasies, their gender identification issues, or their activities unless it is a professional counselor or their parents.

NO ONE ELSE.

What we're trying to do here is to create peer support for having boundaries. We could definitely create an internet wave.

Anagrammy

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: August 19, 2013 07:01PM

Aww thanks Anagrammy :)

Date: August 19, 2013 07:08PM

Fidget if you were up for this I think it would be great! Some ideas were shared and I was going to summarize some of the thoughts into another thread.

There are other thread that want to pressure churchco. into making a policy change, but I would like to see the members force this change.

If we had a video, infographic or meme, we could get youth to start sending it out to their mormon friends through twitter or whatever the youth of today are up to that show the inappropriateness, betrayal of confidence, shame, and how culty it is.

Posted by: tapirsaddle ( )
Date: August 18, 2013 12:10AM

How are these questions of youth even legal?

Date: August 18, 2013 12:14AM

I wonder if we could get an attorney to challenge the chruch on this.

Posted by: tapirsaddle ( )
Date: August 18, 2013 01:04AM

I would join a class action suit in a heartbeat.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: August 18, 2013 01:14AM

The next question: Are there any attorneys out there that can add to this conversation? Question #1 where do we start?

Date: August 18, 2013 01:36AM

Good question. The guilt from this issue alone drove me to attempt suicide. I'd love the church to pay for my therapy sessions.

Posted by: Mateo Pastor ( )
Date: August 18, 2013 07:37AM

I think we should publicize the masturbation interviews of 12-year-old boys by middle-aged mormon bishops without getting any lawyers involved about whether these interviews are legal. Because TSCC is a global institution and laws vary in different countries and states. Questioning the legality of their actions is a losing game. It's always legal somewhere. Questioning their appropriateness is much more efficient. Most people, whether in America or Europe, Africa or Australia, don't want their boys and girls to be asked such questions.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.