Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 06:24PM

Falls Temple tonight !! Is this normal for Temple cleanings? Shouldn't they be wearing normal clothes for the duty??

I would've gone with to the Mall and gone to the movies while the down this boring mundane task but their nothing worth since Summer movies are almost over!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: stbleaving ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 06:26PM

Remember, you must wear your Sunday best to the temple!

Maybe they'll be allowed to change into workaday clothes once they're inside, or maybe they'll be in all white temple clothes for cleaning.

Meanwhile, you should go see Elysium (speaking of summer movies), then return and report.

Posted by: Southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 06:40PM

stbleaving Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Remember, you must wear your Sunday best to the
> temple!
>
> Maybe they'll be allowed to change into workaday
> clothes once they're inside, or maybe they'll be
> in all white temple clothes for cleaning.
>
> Meanwhile, you should go see Elysium (speaking of
> summer movies), then return and report.

I saw Elysium on Monday night. It'd basically free healthcare and illegal immigration aren't breaking the law.

Posted by: stbleaving ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 06:46PM

Ah, thanks for the report on Elysium. So it's an allegory for our times, eh?

Posted by: Southern idaho inactive ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 06:47PM

stbleaving Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ah, thanks for the report on Elysium. So it's an
> allegory for our times, eh?

Yup

Posted by: lucky ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 06:43PM

Our ( DUMB ASS) mission leadershi-t wanted us to wear white shirt and slacks to do laundry on P-day too.

and WHO had been the absolute worst offender of wearing dumpy ass raggedy hippy style clothing ( bleached out overalls with holes in them, tee shirts, and sandals, I mean this guy was almost dressed like Jesus !!!! ) on P day? - one of the AP's.

Gee. I wonder where the mission admin got the idea to make the missionaries dress nicer on P day?

Then there is my aunt and uncle who wear their (stupid) missionary name plates EVERYWHERE, and I mean everywhere. Given how they are, I could NOT be surprised if they have them on while asleep in bed at night.

Posted by: thomasd ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 07:16PM

no big deal, It's the way they respect the temple. When they're in the temple actually doing the cleaning, they'll be dressed in white. While most people see the temple as BS busy work, it's important to them, so whatever floats their boat.

Posted by: paintingintheWIN ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 07:25PM

dk if its one night a week or more often.

But what I DO know is, though, now she's retired, she left her work family. Her children grew and moved to region with better air quality (although her elderly mother & a sister are in town.) & I think her fav sister retired, returned to a medical position in Africa & plans to serve until the end & never come back. & she's on a regional art museum board, still a gallery artist.

so what I do know is what she told me, she said, we're like family. Its been X years (five, ten whatever) the same people. We always bring food, have a nice dinner, tables clothes when we get to together- every week we eat a nice meal together. We care about each other.

So if there is any luck, your parents will be joining a team like my aunt is running, not some actual cleaning service experience.

IT also seems to me, that it seems entirely plausable that it would be better serving running a vacume around the oxens' feet at the baptismal font and adjusting the ph or changing the filter adding chlorine or what not (no that's a swimming pool I think they drain the font at night) anyhow I Figure some of these seniors would the heck rather be eating and running a vacume asking about each others golf game, their friends' funeral, and whose recovered from hip surgery comparing notes on eye surgeons walking in the hallways-
than sitting through another hour after hour of memorized temple films. If you ask me.

because doing the service is boring- & these guys have done it alll repeatedly.

being with friends, knowing old names from the stake your whole life, meeting others just like you from another stake- especially not in Utah might be a gathering point.
YOu can always join them to your golf game, or invite them to your art studio or to see you art show opening. When I think of my aunt I see the best- an artist all her life, its one of the only shared callings with social add on I recall since her husband had so many distant admin jobs and callings.

If she says its fun for her, I won't contempt it. I am content to support her social connections within her life directory- this may be her non ultra convert not extreme lds way of connecting to her more rigid tmb networking husband to this day. Hey- its dinner! SAme facees. She says she knows more about some of them than their own relatives she thinks, and who isn't going home for thanksgiving dinner they invite each other, that it has evolved into a kind of family.

just fyi. may be at a temple near you I think not- she is an all American original, state university sorority girl who converted to marry. possibly other cleaning crew leaders aren't thinking alot about art, commradery and hospitality like a life long sorority girl administrator's wife administrator herself - high class culture... so no, once she got involved or called , it was not it was never actually about keeping the temple clean. I don't know anyone whose every been influenced by her who wasn't changed- its about art and beauty and making the experience beautiful- even a breakfast or a stroll down a hallway light rays art- that's life through her eyes.

Just wish we were, had been or could be, more sympatico. but that's just me I recognize the marvelous when I witness it.

hope your folks are near it & not an assignment they dread.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.