Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: freckles ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 06:39PM

A friend of mine posted this quote on fb today. Made me so irritated. How do those of you who are still closet unbelievers stop yourselves from commenting on things like this? "When faced with a trial of faith—whatever you do, you don’t step away from the Church! Distancing yourself from the kingdom of God during a trial of faith is like leaving the safety of a secure storm cellar just as the tornado comes into view."

Neil L. Andersen

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: stbleaving ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 06:41PM

If it's a one-off thing, ignore it. If it's constant, either block their feed or unfriend them. If they're a family member or a friend IRL, consider having an in-person conversation with them.

Posted by: brett ( )
Date: August 16, 2013 10:47AM

Mormons are always going to put pro-mormon posts on FB. It just goes along with being Mormon. It's up to you to decide how you want to react to it. If it was me, I would just accept that this is the case and ignore it. Otherwise, do what Stbleaving says and unfriend them.

Posted by: Xq ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 06:45PM

I would respond with a variant metaphor of the danger being a gas leak in the cellar.

Posted by: jerry64 ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 06:53PM

Or flooding, there have been cases of people drowning while trying to take shelter from a storm.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 06:53PM

Using their argument.

Better the unknown of the coming tornado than the certainty of the pack of hungry wolves in the storm cellar, ready to feast on sheep.

Posted by: snuckafoodberry ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 06:57PM

I think it's terrific they find a need to post it. Now why would they need to post such a thing? Do they know people jumping ship? Doubting?

Posted by: iflewover ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 07:07PM

Fear, fear, fear! Let them know that a "trial of faith" is nothing to worry about. How can asking a few questions and pondering other positions put one in danger?

So tired of religions and government selling fear all the time. Equally tired of so many people lining up early to buy it time and time again.

That's it: Simply state you've purchased a lifetime supply of fear already and don't need anymore thanks.

Posted by: Z ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 07:13PM

This also fits right in line with the circular logic that I find to be so common with Mormonism. "Keep on believing and accept it as true despite your doubts, and eventually you will actually believe it and accept it as true!"

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 07:18PM

Don't listen to the guy telling you to stay locked in the storm cellar when he himself is unaware that the sun is shining outside...

Posted by: spanner ( )
Date: August 16, 2013 10:35AM

+1

This is the answer

Posted by: mrcoffee84 ( )
Date: August 16, 2013 11:35AM

Good answer. Ignorance will get you nowhere worthwhile. The sun has been shining ever since I left that dark, stinky and pitiful thing you call a cellar.

Posted by: judyblue ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 08:03PM

Except that the storm cellar is nothing more than a grave and the tornado is actually just an uplifting breeze.

Posted by: judyblue ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 08:04PM

I mean, really. If the storm cellar is the church in this metaphor, and the tornado is the trial of faith, then the tornado is coming from INSIDE the cellar. That's probably the last place you should be!

Posted by: armtothetriangle ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 08:06PM

+1

Posted by: 2+2=4 ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 09:07PM

"Distancing yourself from the kingdom of God during a trial of faith is like leaving the safety of a secure storm cellar just as the tornado comes into view"

Actually, leaving a dishonest cult-tactic organization is very smart. It's a lot more like getting out of a building when you smell and see smoke coming in under the doorway:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KE5YwN4NW5o&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DKE5YwN4NW5o

Your fb friend is a victim of social coercion and is allowing others to do his thinking for him.

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 09:13PM

It's not leaving a church because there is no church. It's leaving a corporation.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 10:20PM

"It's your turn to clean it!"

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: August 16, 2013 12:55AM

Posted by: houseonsand ( )
Date: August 16, 2013 01:04AM

My TBM friend who sat next to me in school today made a few comments about how I had bought 2 mountain dews that morning.
The said friend claims to have never had caffeine in his life.
I felt like saying "Hey, F--- off." but I just mildly laughed it off.

In all honesty those people who say "don't leave the church" are really trying to help the best way they know how. They have been told that you won't go to CK if you stop coming to church, and they are also told to be a missionary and example.

Posted by: anonny ( )
Date: August 16, 2013 01:10AM

In reply to the no caffeine comment. I'm so sorry! You have no idea what you're missing! Thomas Monson loves it. He has some every day. I'm sure it's why he's still able to get out and about.

I suppose you've never had sex either? It's so sad that people choose to go through life and not live it.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: August 16, 2013 01:18AM

"Don't leave the church; we still want your money!"

Posted by: anon4this ( )
Date: August 16, 2013 03:29AM

Reply something like this " I hope you are doing alright with your testimony if you have any questions pray pray and obey"

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: August 16, 2013 04:07AM

Does this apply to everyone or just mormons? Mormons are usually happy when people leave their current church for mormonism. If people can join mormonism, why can't they leave? Do mormons believe, we don't have that right? Can you ask them?

Posted by: nickname ( )
Date: August 16, 2013 04:18AM

The metaphor only works if whats outside is actually a tornado and the basement is actually a safer place to be. To me, it looks like the TBMs are rather ridiculously cowering in a damp, dark basement, when there's a beautiful, welcoming, sunny world outside.

I also just realized that comparing your religion to a basement is a funny metaphor, since basements tend to be the least pleasant part of most houses.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 16, 2013 06:38AM

+100

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: August 16, 2013 11:07AM

+100 also. And it's not so much like hiding in a storm cellar as hiding in a basement bathroom, squeezed in near the toilet.

I wonder how they'd like it if we offered the same information to their investigators i.e. "During a trial of your Catholic faith, cling closer to Catholicism and don't listen to outsiders, like JWs or Mormons, who are like a tornado, attacking the safety of your place in the secure storm cellar protection of the Catholic church."

Mormonism - treating people in ways they'd never tolerate being treated since 1830.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: August 16, 2013 08:17AM

The church is no shelter from the storms. Instead, it takes from you your time, your money and your self-confidence.

Your LDS friends will only stay by you if you stick with the church. Their friendship is contingent on a common belief system. I lost nearly all my Mormon friends when I left. Even your own family may abandon you.

A foolish man builds his house upon the sand. The LDS Church is just a sandy desert.

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: August 16, 2013 11:30AM

The storm is the church.

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: August 16, 2013 11:39AM

The Mormon church is a fraud !

It has been a fraud from its very beginning right, into present times.

Posted by: cognitiveharmony ( )
Date: August 16, 2013 11:41AM

These guys are orwellian artists. They know that under any type of scrutiny the logic of their metaphor would fall apart. They prey upon the people who are too weak to challenge them. This disgusts me.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: August 16, 2013 11:52AM

This has 1984 written all over it.

- You were born in the storm cellar.

- You've never actually seen a storm because you've never been allowed outside

- Every time you want to go outside, your family scares you by saying there's a tornado coming

- They tell you all day how dangerous tornadoes are and how irresponsible and ungrateful you'd be for leaving the safety of the storm cellar your family has provided

- Everyone relies on one family member to keep them updated on the status of the storm(s)

- No one knows where he gets his information, but they trust him

- When you finally go outside and find it's sunny and beautiful, you want to tell your family but they won't listen

- They say you're delusional and tell you to get lost in the storm

"We've always been at war with east asia. There's always been a tornado outside"

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 16, 2013 04:44PM

Someone has to clean the ward house bathroom for her. She can't do it *every* week.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.