Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 07:25PM

But it says a lot to me personally, that I intuit my chances for finding unconditional love is much greater outside of Mormonism than in it however unconventional it may be.

I feel I've been so much better appreciated as a human being outside of Mormonism than within it.

There is that "equalizing effect" in Mormonism with all the rules of engagement and preconceived notions about my soul, my time, my money and all The Lord has given me that limits unconditional appreciation for who I am.

But I think a lot in Mormonism changed in 32 years 1971-2003.

"Four, they have to learn somehow that they are more important than their mistakes; that they are worthwhile, valuable, useful; that they are loved unconditionally.

I knelt with my own family, at the conclusion of a great family home evening, the night before our lovely daughter was to be married in the temple. I think she wouldn’t mind my telling you that after we had laughed and wept and remembered, she was asked to pray. I don’t recall much of her prayer, the tears and the joy and the sweetness, but I remember one thought: she thanked God for the unconditional love she had received. This life doesn’t give one very many chances to feel exultant and a little successful, but I felt wonderful that night, and thank God that she really believes and understands what she said. We cannot, my dear brethren, condition our love by a beard or beads or habits or strange viewpoints. There have to be standards and they must be enforced, but our love must be unconditional."
http://www.lds.org/general-conference/1971/10/love-unconditional?lang=eng

"Understanding that divine love and blessings are not truly “unconditional” can defend us against common fallacies such as these: “Since God’s love is unconditional, He will love me regardless …”; or “Since ‘God is love,’ 35 He will love me unconditionally, regardless …”"
http://www.lds.org/ensign/2003/02/divine-love?lang=eng

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: fluhist ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 07:29PM

Now THAT makes SENSE, why isn't that around today??

Posted by: David Jason ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 08:47PM

Come on if I had the desire I could pull a couple Uchtdorf quotes that have the same message. He has had some good talks.

Date: August 16, 2013 12:32PM

Date: August 16, 2013 03:15PM

"I am not suggesting that we accept sin or overlook evil, in our personal life or in the world. Nevertheless, in our zeal, we sometimes confuse sin with sinner, and we condemn too quickly and with too little compassion. We know from modern revelation that “the worth of souls is great in the sight of God.” 4 We cannot gauge the worth of another soul any more than we can measure the span of the universe. Every person we meet is a VIP to our Heavenly Father. Once we understand that, we can begin to understand how we should treat our fellowmen.

One woman who had been through years of trial and sorrow said through her tears, “I have come to realize that I am like an old 20-dollar bill—crumpled, torn, dirty, abused, and scarred. But I am still a 20-dollar bill. I am worth something. Even though I may not look like much and even though I have been battered and used, I am still worth the full 20 dollars.”"
http://www.lds.org/general-conference/2010/04/you-are-my-hands?lang=eng

Unconditionally $20 - $2 for The Lord equals $18 unconditionally valued. Just because we can't measure the "worth of a soul" is NOT the same thing as saying, "that they are worthwhile, valuable, useful; that they are loved unconditionally." You can put lipstick on Russell M. Nelson but he still won't look good. Uchtdorf might look good in lipstick, but he is just Nelson lite. He isn't saying to love unconditionally but to value the worth of those poor crumpled and abused souls.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.