Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: bulldogge ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 08:51PM

Hi,

I just joined your board. Spent time in the church but was never baptized, although from what I've read, I seem to know more about the inner workings and beliefs of the church than a lot of actual members.

I have used your main page as reference, many, many times. Also, although I've never been baptized, I've always danced along the edges of the religion. I have family who are Mormons, I spent a few years in the church but was too young to be baptized without my parents permission, and they weren't about to give it.

Also I grew up in Calgary, AB. and it's something like Utah, where a lot of the people hiring are Mormon. There are Southern Alberta Mormon job sites, Mormon adoption, To be honest, I've thought of actually taking the plunge simply for the business connections this would provide.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Frightened Inmate #2 ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 08:57PM

Hey, I served in the calgary canada mission! Maybe I even tried to convert you with one of my patented "missionary lessons" :)

I'm glad that you never joined, and I'm glad that you took the time to educate yourself on the real history of the LDS church.

I'm curious if I ever served in your area, are you actually in Calgary or one of the suburbs?

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 10:40PM

Calgary shout out!

Ever in the NW inmate?

Date: August 15, 2013 10:45PM

Sure was. I humbly served in the Bowness area as a district leader (don't act like you're not impressed). I was there for 3 months and it was a decent area for the lord's work.

Date: August 15, 2013 10:47PM

You made it three months in Bowness and didn't get stabbed? I am impressed!

Date: August 15, 2013 10:54PM

Well, I was wearing my garmies, so that's probably why.

Date: August 15, 2013 10:57PM

Well hope you liked it here anyway.

Date: August 15, 2013 11:01PM

I really did. Okotoks and McKenzie towne areas were my favorite. I've often entertained the idea of moving back up there, so if some of you Calgarians just promise to watch my kids a couple times a month I'll pack up the wife and kids and we'll move northward ;)

Date: August 15, 2013 11:02PM

Long as it's not so you can go to the Temple.

Posted by: Rambo ( )
Date: August 16, 2013 11:29AM

I grew up in 8th ward. Bowness was part of that ward. I went to high school in bowness but I didn't live there :)

Date: August 21, 2013 01:35AM

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. I was in First Ward (Glenmore area?)

Right now I'm living in Chilliwack BC and absolutely hate it. So I'm pretty much willing to do anything to get back to Alberta. Also I'm in my 40's and we've never had children. My sister thinks if I join the church I'll magically become pregnant like she did, personally I think it has more to do with hubbys schedule. 200 days a year away from home greatly reduces the chances of conveiving.

So I look at jobs in Southern Alberta and I find a closed website for Mormons only, I look at adopting in Alberta and I see a church adoption agency. This is why I wonder if it's not better to join.

Yeah, I know it's a stupid reason, but it worked for my sisters ex, he went from being a bum that my father had to bail out to being a millionaire snowbird. I even know an ex bishop who told me that he doesn't believe what the church teaches, but he likes the connections and focus on the family. I asked him if that was the testemony he gave, he laughed.

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 01:58AM

I've lived in Calgary twice.

In the early 80s as a teen, I lived in Parkdale, between the Foothills Hospital and the Buffalo Jump for 5 years. I do remember teasing Mishies with my friends and spraying them with shaving cream (sorry if that was anyone on here! lol).

And again in Calgary just a couple of years ago. I lived in the Beltline area for a year.

I like Calgary in a lot of ways. People are very friendly there and I love the thunder storms. But the west coast is home.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2013 01:58AM by spaghetti oh.

Date: August 21, 2013 03:14AM

See, I'm the exact opposite. Then again, I've got arthritis that acts up when the humidity goes up and an allergy to mold, mildew, and cottonwoods.

So yeah, the "wet" coast was a really REALLY bad choice for me.

Oh, and I really miss the thunderstorms. I would stand out on the deck and just watch them. I also miss how it cools off at night there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2013 03:16AM by bulldogge.

Posted by: msp ( )
Date: August 15, 2013 10:48PM

Hey, and welcome! It's good to see another Albertan on the board. I myself am from Edmonton, and I can relate to to the kind of south-Alberta LDS community you mentioned.
Just my two cents, but I couldn't recommend joining the church for social/occupational benefit. Once you're in (as you know), you'll have responsibilities shoved on you and have to pay your 10%.
However, I think if you called yourself an "investigator", you could reap (some of) those lds-exclusive benefits without any of the burden of actually being lds. I'm not sure what it's like where you are, but I've found the lds members in my area to be very kind and sincere people, very much unlike those in most of the stories I read here on the board.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2013 10:49PM by msp.

Date: August 15, 2013 10:50PM

Btw having moved to Utah from Lethbridge, then fleeing to Calgary four months later, Utah is way worse than Calgary.

Date: August 21, 2013 01:36AM

Okay, thanks. I just feel like everyone I meet in a position of power is Mormon.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: August 16, 2013 08:58AM

Sure, join the Mormons for the business connections.

The best status to have in the community is a jack Mormon. That way your name is on the rolls and you blame yourself or your wife for your inactivity.

Never use the Word of Wisdom as the reason or they will give you countless blessings and want details of your addiction(s).

"My wife doesn't support paying tithing and I've gotta live with her, you know? It doesn't seem right to attend when I don't pay."

There is no Mormon on earth who will utter the words, "Come and participate anyway without paying." So you will be home free.

Of course your wife must refuse to discuss it with them. Never let the mishies come over with a tithing presentation, for example.

When it comes to supporting your family, you must place yourself in the most favorable light--like burnishing your resume.

Anagrammy

Posted by: iflewover ( )
Date: August 16, 2013 11:09AM

Ana! Holy smokes, never thougth I'd see the day I'd disagree with you, but here it is.

The first time I went through the temple, when Adam said, "The woman thou gavest me and commanded me to keep gave it to me. And I did eat", I threw my Coke at the screen. Ok, I mentally threw my Coke at the screen...they took it from me as we entered the Endowment Room.

So, long way of saying that anytime I see a dude trying to pawn off his responsibilities and choices onto his mate/wife, it rankles me big time.

OP: I agree with the rest of Ana's assessment with one slight twist: Just keep flirting with the idea you are about to join the church...without ever joining. You can work that angle for years and they will keep tripping over themselves to put their best foot forward. Job offers, extra business/contract, you name it...work them like a rented mule.

They love nothing better than a Golden Contact to add to their cap.

Date: August 21, 2013 01:43AM

Hmm....... even with the number of Mormons I know? Hubby and I have messed with the LDS family members.

In a room with 2 family members, the Bishop, and two missionaries, I asked if a Mormon living in a country that allowed polygamy could practice polygamy. Bishop and BIL said yes, Sis and missionaries said no. The argument was still going on when we left.

BTW, it was a legitimate question that I have never got a complete answer for. From what I was told in the 70's the reason polygamy was outlawed was because of the "law of the land", and was part of joining the US. This used to be common knowledge, and this is where my question came from.

Date: August 21, 2013 01:39AM

Well I'm the "nasty wife" so can I put all the money in hubbys name and then say that he's the one not willing to tithe? He is the main breadwinner in the house. Then again, I'm also in an interracial marriage, so I guess that's frowned on.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 16, 2013 11:17AM

you're willing to jump in and fully participate longterm.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 01:51AM

First, welcome to the board. Second, I'll tell you what I tell my kids. If you decide to participate in Mormonism, you'll be hounded for the rest of your life. They will want your time, 10 percent of your money and your underwear. They will think they can tell you how to live, whether or not you are worthy and how to raise your children. And, they'll have no shame in going after your kids, if you fail to stay active.

If losing so much of yourself is a fair trade for the business connections you'll make then go for it. Take it from someone who has lost a lot of friends by leaving Mormonism. I think it's good riddance to bad rubbish. I prefer my integrity to any so-called advantages Mormon friendships gave me.

Date: August 21, 2013 03:18AM

The way I'm looking at it is....

Sure the take 10%, but if you're making 25% more, are you going to miss it?

The underwear? I don't know how comfortable it is, but can they really tell? I'm too old to be wearing spaghetti strings (getting granny arms).

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 05:45AM

Yes, they can tell. They'll give you the once over and pat your back and squeeze your arm, feeling for garment lines. You need this, really?

Date: August 21, 2013 06:25AM

It's a desparation thought. I really do need to leave where I am, and I want to go back to Southern AB. No, I don't "need" to be Mormon, but as I said, when it seems like all the jobs are controlled by them.

Although telling the Mormon family that I would convert on the spot if they found DH a good paying job hasn't come up with anything, so maybe it's not as important as it seems when you're looking at it from 500km away.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.