Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: itsbeenawhile ( )
Date: January 29, 2011 02:30PM

We are wanting to move closer to family, they are in California and Nevada...we currently live in Missouri. Not too impressed with what is going on in those states, politically, economically and in schools...so we are considering Utah and Idaho as well. Now being an exmo, I cringe about being around tons of mormons...my kids are young and don't even remember that church, are there cities that are better to live in for exmo's?? Thanks for the help and advice!!

Heather

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elee ( )
Date: January 29, 2011 02:35PM

Park City, in Summit County which is just east of SLC is very non-Mormon. But also very spendy as it's a ski resort community.

SLC has many neighborhoods and areas where you won't be besotted by Mormons. Anywhere in SLC proper, so The Avenues, downtown, Central City, Sugar House, South Salt Lake are all good bets.

The west side, i.e. West Valley City, Taylorsville etc...are fairly diverse as well, and the real estate is less expensive, but their's a baby boom going on over there, so the schools are absolutely over-loaded.

Millcreek, Holladay, Cottonwood Heights and even Murray and Midvale are likely good bets.

Stay away from: Sandy, West Jordan, South Jordan, ABSOLUTELY ANYWHERE in Utah Valley, and you'll likely be just fine.

Posted by: LochNessie ( )
Date: January 29, 2011 03:14PM

SLC proper is probably your best bet. Least amount of mormons and some very open people. I would avoid the suburbs, they're packed full.

Posted by: itsbeenawhile ( )
Date: January 29, 2011 02:48PM

Thank you sooo much! That helps a ton! Anymore advice???

Posted by: Steven ( )
Date: January 29, 2011 02:48PM

..hey don't forget Missouri has some of the lowest Cost of Living in the nation. I lived in Utah as a TBM attending YBU, and hated being around morgbots even then. I would also cringe about being around them now. However, I think TSCC is on a downslide, so I don't think it would be as bad now. Good luck.

Posted by: vasalissasdoll ( )
Date: January 29, 2011 03:11PM

I'm not sure if it's still the case in Utah right now, but it's a nightmare to find a good job in S.E.Idaho. No economic recovery in sight.

Posted by: Davo ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 12:24AM

We've lived in Utah County for all of the 30 + years of living in Utah (from Cal.). Raised all 6 kids in Utah County. We resigned from Mormonism about 12 years ago. All the kids are out except one who married a TBM. He loves her parents and family and attends church only because of them and maintaining a good relationship with them. He goes along to get along as they say.

As for church contact, it's never been a problem for wife and I.

The normal attendance % for wards in the area is about 80% so I think the members are kept so busy they are not on the lookout for people to reactivate or convert. We've never had missionaries come around. We did have young men come to collect FO whereupon I pretended to fill out the form and stuffed a 100 dollar bill in the envelope and sealed it. It was a Monopoly bill left out from playing the game from the night before. They never came around again. That was about 3 years ago.

Tho we've never had a problem living here. Others may. We're retired and are not that active in community events which probably shields us somewhat.

I'm one that might consider living here to be a good thing were I looking from outside at the possibility. But then I don't mind mixing with Mormons. They don't intimidate me in the least. Knowledge is power I guess because I don't mind "mixing it up" with them on their religion either. That hasn't happened in the 12 years since resigning membership but I would consider it good fun.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.