Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Kendal Mint Cake ( )
Date: August 16, 2013 05:20AM

He was pretending to be surviving on his wits in the wild, and he'd just caught plenty of fish to eat. You saw the pig happily living its own life and then he just killed it, because he had the power to do so.

This immediately made me think of priesthood males. They sometimes make decisions affecting women's lives on a whim, just because they are the ones with the power. It gives me the creeps.

My brother and father decided who I could and couldn't date.

The bishopric at a nearby ward debated whether they should allow their single women to date non-members because of a dearth of English LDS men (they decided not to, as they would be given away in the eternities).

My father and then when I married, my husband, were always asked for permission before I could be asked to accept a "calling".

Twelve year old boys have authority over the oldest "sisters", who are required to demonstrate their subservience by their dress (no pants at church).

I heard a man joking about his future polygamous wives when his own wife was sat there.

My dad and brother talk over and ridicule women, even though the women are highly educated and they are not.

Mormon males get to decide whether a woman or child should be punished for being raped, and when the rapist is a Mormon, whether he should get away with it or not.

Unqualified Mormon males get their say about what women with life-threatening pregnancy complications should do.

I got taught by a Mormon male who later became stake president that any good Mormon girl would die rather than let herself be raped. He now has at least one daughter.

I remember hating the feeling of those priesthoodly fingers on my head as I was given a calling. It felt creepy and oppressive, and that's because it was!

Just like I wish that pig could have bitten that saddo on the bum and ran off, the "sisters" should realise what century they are in and get out of this oppressive depressing cult.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: August 16, 2013 10:03AM

Wow, Kendal Mint Cake, you sure know how to write a list and build it to a powerful last line.

Unfortunately only Mormon women can change things for themselves. I wish your words could be read in every Sacrament meeting to get things jump started--but as long as standing up for yourself is a sin...there's not a lot of hope.

Date: August 16, 2013 10:52AM

Watching that show brought out the same horrified feelings of injustice I felt at church, where the priesthood holders thought they held dominion over the earth and every other creature in it including women, and acted accordingly.

I was brought up to be a perfect little mousey obedient "sister", but even in Primary I started to have these feelings of injustice and disgust, which I attributed to my lack of worthiness.

The priesthood make the decisions and the females live with the consequences. I don't think I could sit there silently in their church meetings anymore. I've finally grown up and found my voice.

It's all so unjust, and the women who keep others down are just as bad.

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: August 16, 2013 01:34PM

I'm not out of the closet yet, but if anyone ever asks me again whether my wife can have a calling I'm going to say that she doesn't need my permission.

Posted by: snuckafoodberry ( )
Date: August 16, 2013 01:40PM

God how I hate them!!!
And the women who stay and spout their Shittt.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2013 01:41PM by snuckafoodberry.

Posted by: Quoth the Raven Nevermo ( )
Date: August 16, 2013 01:55PM

If it was in the wild it was a feral pig and it is incredibly destructive. They need to be killed. They are over running Texas and nearby states.

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: August 16, 2013 01:58PM

And they're tasty, too.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: August 16, 2013 02:01PM

Just because it is cute, doesn't mean it isn't destroying the environment. Pigs are old world animals. Wild pigs have no place in our ecosystem. That said, I believe they should be killed as humanely as possible, and the meat used to feed people whenever possible.

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: August 16, 2013 02:03PM

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: August 16, 2013 02:02PM

What about feral mormons? :)

Posted by: southern should login ( )
Date: August 16, 2013 06:26PM

A catch and release sterilization program should do.

(kiddinnng! I am not a eugenics advocate!)

Posted by: southern should login ( )
Date: August 16, 2013 06:27PM

Which show was it, if you don't mind me asking?

Date: August 16, 2013 02:21PM

He was on an island. The pig was happy til he turned up and ruined Piggy Utopia. He didn't have to kill it. No worries though, I think something will eat him before long - all the animals he meets try to bite him.

Posted by: antonymous ( )
Date: August 16, 2013 04:15PM

Are you a Kendal girl?
I was in Kendal Branch many moons ago ( late 90's).
It's always good to hear of other uk morms escaping the Morg.

Date: August 16, 2013 04:27PM

I love Kendal and the Lake District, and I like chocolate covered Kendal Mint Cake! I'm not from Kendal, but I don't want to give out too much IRL info. It's a small world in UK mormonism, so I don't even want to disclose which stake I was in because this Board is monitored.

Posted by: antonymous ( )
Date: August 16, 2013 05:07PM

I think my ward / stake has given up on me. The bishop didn't have a very easy time when he came visiting.
No-one else has visited in over a year! There is only one member who genuinely cares enough to keep in touch and visit, but Harrogate is a very insular and cliquish ward anyway. A disproportionate number of callings go to Americans off Memwith Hill RAF base and generally they don't mix. Still, their loss not mine!!!

Date: August 16, 2013 05:40PM

Keep flying under the mormon radar! And think yourself lucky you didn't get roped into the Pageant!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.