Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: August 18, 2013 01:07AM

Early in the BOM we see:

And I did read many things unto them which were written in the books of Moses; but that I might more fully persuade them to believe in the Lord their Redeemer I did read unto them that which was written by the prophet Isaiah; for I did liken all scriptures unto us, that it might be for our profit and learning.

It is one of the smartest subversions against the reader ever, and oft repeated because it is so effective at controlling the morgbots.

We were constantly told to liken the scriptures to ourselves, the ponder in "search, ponder, and pray" is to consider how to apply what you read to your own life.

As opposed to what you might ask? Asking yourself whether what you read is actually true, or whether it makes sense or even follows its own internal logic! Heaven forbid we do any critical thinking, let's just skip straight to inventing lessons to learn.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: August 18, 2013 01:14AM

We could just as easily ponder the works of Tolkein, Emerson, George Lucas, etc, and come up with many profound, life-changing personal revelations that could guide our lives.

My friend did her doctoral thesis on "Winnie the Pooh" as a model for life. It made absolute sense. Better sense than the Book of Mormon.

Posted by: egomet ( )
Date: August 19, 2013 08:28AM

forestpal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We could just as easily ponder the works of
> Tolkein, Emerson, George Lucas, etc, and come up
> with many profound, life-changing personal
> revelations that could guide our lives.
>
> My friend did her doctoral thesis on "Winnie the
> Pooh" as a model for life. It made absolute
> sense. Better sense than the Book of Mormon.

Don't forget The Gospel According to Peanuts http://www.amazon.com/Gospel-According-Peanuts-Robert-Short/dp/0664222226

Posted by: upsidedown ( )
Date: August 18, 2013 01:46AM

Your right. There are so many people trying to follow that little directive without thinking things through and being logical. If people only realized that they would also have to really believe that they are going to have to believe that a persons skin changes color in this book of mormon then they would realize that you cannot liken pure bullshiat "unto yourslef". And no matter how much you do ain't nobodys skin ever going to change color. It can't be done....because it's a stupid book.

If you are playing the game of "search, ponder, pray and liken the scriptures unto us" Then you have to first make the assumption that what you just read in the book was true. No one goes around likening Harry Potter unto themselves because they are rational enough to realize it is FANTASY. The book of mormon is not true....it is every bit as much fantasy as Harry Potter so it really can't be very helpful to liken it unto yourself.

Posted by: Carol Y. ( )
Date: August 18, 2013 10:51PM

Posted by: sonofman ( )
Date: August 19, 2013 10:00AM

There has definitely been an increased emphasis on the living prophets.

Posted by: perceptual ( )
Date: August 19, 2013 03:23AM

I searched on the internet, I pondered what I read, then I prayed that I never fall into the trap of a cult again.

Posted by: Jesux of Nazdaq ( )
Date: August 19, 2013 08:34AM

Good catch. It's like the "Faith is the first principle" Now, moving onto repentance. Everyone just assumes the first principle is true,the easiest and wants to move one quickly, so that first one is swallowed without much thought.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.