Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 18, 2013 04:24PM

once you tell them to stop doing it.

Legally, you don't have to turn in a formal letter of resignation if your only goal is to stop having home teachers or other church representatives showing up at your home.

The mormon church has an expectation that everyone on their lists will invite visiting teachers, home teachers, missionaries, and other morg visitors into their homes without exception.

However, that idea ignores the fact that everyone has a right to determine who can enter their home and under what conditions they may do so.

There is no legal requirement to follow a church's expectations just because someone happens to be on their list. If that were the case, then any church could go to the police and tattle that a Baptist was not keeping the Sabbath holy or that a Catholic was not sacrificing anything for Lent.

The point? Some posters think that if you don't resign, you must allow the mormon church to treat you like a member. Not so. If you have resigned emotionally and told them not to send home teachers and still do it, you can report them as trespassers.

Of course it's fairly easy to follow their resignation procedures which often means they will leave you alone. But before there was a formal process, I told them to leave me alone and they did once they knew I meant what I said.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 18, 2013 05:14PM

Cheryl, I didn't say you must allow them to treat you as a member if you don't resign. And there are certainly legitimate reasons for not resigning, including family or job issues.

However, staying a member and trying to get LDS inc to stop treating you as a member is far more work than simply resigning. Your own experiences with them is the best example of that that I can think of.

As long as you are a member, there is always the chance that they will do what they normally do with members. Resigning doesn't guarantee you will never hear from Mormons again, depending on your life circumstances, but it is simple and effective, and way ahead of whatever comes in second place. Nobody's going to call me to ask if I will clean the chapel. Guaranteed.

Here's the original thread that inspired this post by Cheryl. I stand by what I said there.
http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,993509

Date: August 18, 2013 05:26PM

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 18, 2013 06:09PM

if that's the way they treat members then why would anyone want to be a member ?

Date: August 18, 2013 06:32PM

That's the biggest reason I can see for wanting to be a member.

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: August 18, 2013 10:23PM

I haven't resigned, and they leave me alone for the most part. This was accomplished by using a common Mormon tactic, but in reverse. Passive-aggressive behavior. I simply showed little interest in what they had to say, ignored their entreaties and testimonies and rolled my eyes at them. Now they don't really like me. Mission accomplished!

Date: August 19, 2013 03:10AM

as long as I realize what I'm doing and don't make a habit of it.

Posted by: lucky ( )
Date: August 19, 2013 03:12AM

LDS Inc does a lot of things that they don't really have a right to do ......

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.