Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: perceptual ( )
Date: August 19, 2013 03:53AM

I asked my dad and he said "The Law of Consecration is from God, and Communism is from the Devil", and he seemed kind of pissed so I didn't ask for a better explanation.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: August 19, 2013 04:01AM

In Communism, goods are owned by everyone and distributed back to the people according to their need. Supposedly. The result: the same gray apartment for everyone except the higher ups.

In the Law of Consecration, the LDS church receives your promise to give them everything whenever they ask for it. This is why you cannot refuse a calling. You already promised all your time to them in the temple. The result: your request for anything back is viewed with suspicion because you have already been using your money, time and talents all this time when you promised it to them. Geesh! Now you want help with medical bills???? Really????

Anagrammy

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: August 19, 2013 04:42AM

Posted by: QWE ( )
Date: August 19, 2013 09:47AM

I thought about this as a TBM. Although, a strange thing is that the church holds extreme right-wing, conservative, etc. views, whilst communism is strongly left-wing. You'd expect the church to emulate fascism rather than communism based on how it is today.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: August 19, 2013 09:59AM

Communism was originally a religious idea, and it goes back quit a ways, with about the same miserable failure rate. What made communism unique was that they were going to try the same economic plan, but with all the church stuff removed. Still didn't work. That is not to that all of Marx's ideas were equally bad, but the final product that he dreamed of is probably never going to exist.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: August 19, 2013 09:54AM

The spelling..

Posted by: Exmo7 ( )
Date: August 19, 2013 09:55AM

When I was in yw's one of the leaders had to give the lesson on the law of consecration. She was a sweet, hippy sort of woman. All the leaders at the time were all best friends, downeast wearing, lots of big costume jewlery types. Needless to say she didn't fit in very well.

So about the middle of her lesson she starts comparing LoC to communism. They didn't even let her finish her thoughts before they were jumping down her throat & correcting her in front of the girls. She kept trying to explain herself but they weren't trying to hear it. The rest of the lesson went downhill after that. The poor girls were so uncomfortable.

She called me that night in tears trying to explain. She kept saying, "they just wouldn't le t me finish!"

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: August 19, 2013 10:01AM

In communism, the KGB drags you away in the middle of the night. Under the Law of Consecration, you just get your throat slashed by a Danite.

Posted by: Brethren,adieu ( )
Date: August 19, 2013 10:20AM

Wait a minute...So, does this mean that Mitt Romney was a communist in disguise?

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: August 19, 2013 10:25AM

I think George Orwell wrote a couple of books about this.

Posted by: elciz ( )
Date: August 19, 2013 10:29AM

Who runs it. In the Law of Consecration the Big 15 are the board members who would run everything, with Boyd K. deciding what reading material and videos you can enjoy. In communism, Vladimr Putin would run it.

Posted by: Done! ( )
Date: August 19, 2013 10:34AM

I remember reading things by Ezra Benson and Hans Verlan Andersen saying that the difference in the give and take. Communism is based upon what the government"takes." The law of consecration is supposedly based upon what people "give." Funny that I used to think that was true. Now I can't see a difference. They are both about control.

"Thank you big brother for the increase in the chocolate ration" - Winston

Posted by: Done! ( )
Date: August 19, 2013 10:37AM

And Mitt Romney is a communist. I have never seen him in a disguise.

Posted by: David Jason ( )
Date: August 19, 2013 10:59AM

I never understood this reasoning. So Communism is a human version of God's commandment. So it's of the devil!?!?!

That seemed so stupid to me. Well since the true order of prayer isn't the same as our normal prayer does that mean it's of the devil?

I found this to be the dumbest logic ever as a member. So we shouldn't try to practice Gods law on earth? I guess there's exceptions to every rule.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.