Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Rowell back ( )
Date: August 19, 2013 02:19PM

I was asked by my bishops in 3 different states if I masturbated when I was a youth.

Not once was it explained to me why it was considered a sin or wrong.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 19, 2013 02:20PM

They know and spout what they are told to.

Ron Burr

Posted by: exdrymo ( )
Date: August 19, 2013 10:27PM

Wanking is a sin because they told you not to do it. Just like drinking coffee or tea.

The single stone tablet stored away in the mormon ark of the covenant in the President's vault has exactly one commandment chiseled on it (in reformed Egyption, of course): "Thou shalt OBEY".

All the other rules are simply Mormon Gemara.

BTW, Asking why something is a sin is also a sin.

Posted by: Mnemonic ( )
Date: August 19, 2013 10:38PM

+1000

The three commandments of Mormonism in order of importance ...

Pay

Obey

Pray

Date: August 19, 2013 10:55PM

While that is a popular triplet in the Exmo community, it's not official doctrine. ;-)

You have to pay and pray only because they TELL you to. So they are extensions of "obey". Tithing has been suspended temporarily in the past, for example.

Posted by: Charlie ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 04:02PM

Actually it used to be taught that "Obedience is the first law of heaven."

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 07:59PM

I really think you mean Mormon "Gamera." That's much cooler.

Gamera is really neat. Gamera is fun to eat.

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 08:00PM

Gamera is really neat, he is filled with turtle meat, we all love you Gamera!

Posted by: Uncle Dale ( )
Date: August 19, 2013 10:46PM

The same question occasionally arose in discussions I recall
from my years in the Reorganized LDS Church.

It was not a matter for a bishop's review (which is financial)
but rather a concern some members shared with the pastor of
their congregation.

I'm not sure if there was ever a general consensus formed on
this issue, but some of the things I do recall hearing....

1. Masturbation can become a barrier between partners in a
marriage -- the act itself can displace or distort normal
intimate relations between the couple.

2. Taken to excess, it can become a preoccupation that
overrides other, potentially more important parts of life --
maintaining mental and physical health, etc. Thus, as an
element of sexual addiction it can be destructive.

All such talk pretty much pertained to the situation of
married adults, who sometimes brought their personal
problems to the pastor for discussion/help. I do not
recall any such talk applied to young unmarried members,
or even to older unmarried RLDS.

One tangential doctrine I did encounter, from time to
time, is that ANY excess or addiction which turns us
away from God is wrong -- and that guilt or indifference
is the usual consequence. Some folks called this "sin."

UD

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 08:01PM

I think it's probably only a barrier if one is brought up to believe so. A lot of men and women who are married or are sex partners encourage it and help each other out. It is unnatural only if we teach ourselves that it is.

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: August 19, 2013 10:49PM

It's a sin because it makes Boyd K. Pecker, Marky Peterson, and Vaughn J. Featherstoned insanely jealous because they got pecker issues.

Date: August 19, 2013 10:57PM

Also--Mormons tend to have big families and there's always a line for the bathroom.

Posted by: The timeisnow ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 07:56PM

Ha ha! Lol! Thanks for the smile!

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: August 19, 2013 10:55PM

I was once told Genesis 38:9 Onan and the spilling of "seed".

Posted by: spanner ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 08:06AM

BUT, did you know that that was not translated correctly. In the JST, Joseph corrected it to:

" 9 And Onan knew that the seed should not be his; and it came to pass, when he married his brother's wife, that he would not lie with her, lest he should raise up seed unto his brother."

So Onan's sin was not spilling seed, or coitus interruptus, it was not bonking a woman he was religiously obligated to bonk.

Would you expect anything else from Joseph?

I don't think he was defending masturbation though, i suspect he was approving coitus interruptus as a potential method of birth control if needed (say, when bonking maid after being commanded by God)

Posted by: Charlie ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 04:06PM

As I understood it, Onan was obligated to raise up seed to his brother because he none. Therefore, he was obligated to do so. Onan wanted to retain all property for his own offspring and spilled his seed on the ground to make sure there was not a pregnancy. Onan's sin then would be greed in addition to violating the inheritance laws.

Posted by: lurkerguy1 ( )
Date: August 19, 2013 11:01PM

That's an easy question to answer. It's a sin because it feels good! Plain and simple.

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: August 19, 2013 11:08PM

Wanking spills future tithe payers.

Posted by: houseonsand ( )
Date: August 19, 2013 11:09PM

I was always told/read, "procreative powers are sacred, only to be used in marriage" also, that it can lead to homosexuality and exhibitionism.

Posted by: JasonK ( )
Date: August 19, 2013 11:21PM

"Masturbation is the introduction of the more serious sin of exhibitionism and the gross sin of homosexuality."

"It [masturbation] too often leads to grievous sin, even to that sin against nature, homosexuality. For, done in private, it evolves often into mutual masturbation -- practiced with another person of the same sex -- and thence into total homosexuality."

Spencer W. Kimball

Posted by: Sperco ( )
Date: August 19, 2013 11:34PM

This is why I think SWK was gay. I only think of women when I masturbate. If he comes to the conclusion that masturbation leads to homosexuality, then he had to have had some kind of same sex attraction.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 12:35AM

That's exactly what I was thinking.

Ana

Posted by: JasonK ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 12:37AM

I don't think he was gay, I think he was incredibly naive, very gullible, not especially smart and was probably the 5% of men who actually never did masturbate.

Someone confesses they're gay and says they masturbated (why not?) and SWK turns the correlation into causation.

There's also major confirmation bias going on. His typical ward member doesn't show up in his office and announce that he masturbated as a teen and occasionally when his wife is on her period. ALL he hears confessions from are people guilty of greater sins (or even crimes.)

(General Authorities fall for this crap all the time. Anyone remember the GA who talked about his friend, the grandchild pedophile, who blamed Playboy? And the GA not only bought it, he also believed that the guy had stopped!)

Posted by: MCR ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 02:56PM

Really! Like while your pulling it and imagining a woman, naturally you're going to invite some guy to pull it instead.

Posted by: houseonsand ( )
Date: August 19, 2013 11:45PM

Often into mutual masturbation? WTF?

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 12:17AM

WTF is right. This man was a prophet? A prophet of what? It doesn't seem like he even had enough life experience to be a father.

Unbelievable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2013 12:19AM by Doubting Thomas.

Posted by: rainwriter ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 12:06AM

I've heard it mentioned in a couple of my religion classes that "procreative powers" are only to be used between husband and wife with in the bonds of matrimony. So, masturbation before marriage, after marriage because it's not between both partners... that "the powers of procreation are only to be employed with in the bonds of matrimony" idea (where does that quote come from? I can't remember) also is why single women can not have IVF or artificial semination, because they're not married and they're messing around with their powers of procreation outside of marriage. Seriously, that was a key point taught earlier this year in BYUI's Family Foundations class.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 12:22AM

Control. Pure and simple.

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 12:46AM

Whenever I read LBJ I remember the Saturday Night Live special episode based on the Lewinski scandal. They had little "historical facts" that showed between sketches.

One read: "LBJ's mexican whores called him 'El BJ'"

Posted by: Louigi ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 01:27AM

SWK....I feel sorry for his wife...no french kissing...no decent foreplay...no oral sex....no positions other than missionary. No wonder God blessed him with boils and but problems!!!

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 09:20AM

Once again, a little research into American history reveals a lot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Harvey_Kellogg

Posted by: oldklunker ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 03:42PM

Mr. Kellogg was a nut case...and must have schooled BKP in the art of mind numbing stupid ideas.

Posted by: nersibu ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 04:52PM

27 ¶Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery:

28 But I say unto you, That whosoever a looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

Posted by: Albinolamanite ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 04:57PM

Not only do I invite a male friend along when I masturbate, I also like to have a companion when I exercise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jby0I-zLj9c

Posted by: sonofman ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 08:15PM

I had to be a little creative to think of reasons why it was harming anybody. Eventually I decided that it must be that if I kept doing it I would not be able to control myself when presented with the real thing, which made me terrified of attractive girls and women.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.