Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: erictheex ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 12:15AM

My son is dating a mormon girl. He went to church with her on sunday, they are both 17. The bishop's wife returned and reported (complained):

The stake had special teachers who came down from the stake as special envoys from the SP.

This couple is in their 60s? and the topic was marriage. The lesson broke down into two parts:

1) marry only a member because its the only way to get to heaven

this led to part two:

2) marriage is between man and a woman and the world is trying to get the youth to sympathize with the world and accept the concept of equality by falling into the tolerance trap (which I guess is a doctrine now)

They were not counting on the fact that EricJr was going to be there...

They said marriage is between a man and a woman, that is the way god has ordained it, it's what we believe.

EricJr says: You cant just come in here, meet us and tell us what "WE" believe..I thought God's celestial marriage was polygamy by the way.

The room got uncomfortable and the teacher replied that polygamy is not a doctrine anymore.

Bad move.

Junior responded that god cannot change his doctrines and if he does then the youth can just wait around until he changes it again to accept gay marriage.

Jr is a debate champion by the way. I giggled and told sister gossip that I did not realize that the stake is that worried about losing the youth to their own consciences. I asked Jr tonight what happened and without too much bragging he told me the same story from his perspective, he said "I guess they assume that if you are there, you must already be stupid"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2013 12:32AM by erictheex.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 12:30AM

EricJr is freakin' awesome. Way to go!!! I hope that my kids can get to the point where they are confident enough in themselves to also stand up and speak out just like him.

I wish more people would grow a pair and stand up against the BS when they hear it.

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 12:32AM

Your son is ace!

> "I guess they assume that if you are there, you must
> already be stupid"

... and funny!

Posted by: vodkamdew ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 12:34AM

Posted by: Heynonny ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 01:03AM

..we know they are lying about their stance on gay marriage. Should not the media be made aware of this particular occurance?

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 10:35AM

"I guess they assume that if you are there, you must already be stupid."

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 10:42AM

Back in the 60s, the MIA theme one year was "To Thine Own Self Be True". There were posters with inspirational pictures and that tagline. It was kind of a big deal.

They'll never make that mistake again. The implied message is that integrity is more important than obedience. No, no, no!! Obedience uber alles.

Nice to hear about a Mormon kid that sees the BS for what it is. I'm surprised the SP even tried to beat that dead horse. Didn't he get the memo from Central Command?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2013 10:43AM by Brother Of Jerry.

Posted by: releve ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 10:59AM

EricJr gets my vote for statement of the day. Congratulations on raising such a smart, confident kid.

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 11:06AM

That is freaking awesome - wish everyone took debate training, that's an amazingly useful ability to be able to identify logical fallacies at the drop of a hat.

Posted by: Loyalexmo ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 11:46AM

Exactly...I've never understood how they can say the things they do about gay marriage and "God's doctrine" when lots of other things that have been doctrine, like blacks not having the priesthood or polygamy, have changed. If they are always receiving new "revelations," can't this part of the doctrine just change too?

Your son is awesome.

Posted by: elciz ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 01:03PM

So Boyd's talk about the evils of too much acceptance and tolerance is gaining traction in the morg? Lord. The one thing we need to do is to learn to get along and the way to do that is to accept people and learn to love them. And they teach the opposite. Lord almighty!

Date: August 21, 2013 12:55AM

THank you he is a good egg. An argumentative one, but a good one. Her family who originally was charged with fellowshipping EricJr is now backtracking their fellowshipping efforts...loud laughter.

Posted by: romy ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 01:05AM

Is your son a mo or a nevermo?

I would think a mo that clued in wouldn't still be at church and I wouldn't think the bishop's wife would call the parents of a nevermo visitor??

Whatever he is he sounds pretty awesome.

Posted by: amos2 ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 01:19AM

secular society tolerates cultish sects as freedom of religion even though most observers agree they are abusive.
LDS inc is no less than a corporate racket, tax-sheltered as a "charity".
two can play that game.
perhaps we HAVE fallen into a tolerance trap...of tolerating abuses in the name of freedom...like predatory religions.
maybe we should stop tolerating them and call a spade a spade...that LDS inc is a business scam that not only deserves to be taxed...but sued!

One day society will stop tolerating blatantly demonstrable falsehoods and abuses in the name of religious freedom.

Posted by: pathos ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 12:05PM

Brilliant +1

Posted by: Lydia ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 02:34AM

This gave me a morning smile - thank you Ericjnr

You have got to love a smart, confident, educated teenager!

Posted by: bulldogge ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 02:43AM

Going back to a point I made on another post,

The declaration made for Utah to enter the US was to disallow any illegal marriages and follow the law of the land.

So wouldn't that mean it's okay for Canadian Mormons to have a homosexual marriage? After all, it's legal up here.

Date: August 21, 2013 11:12AM

this is another lds doctrine that is as firm as Packer at a gay parade.

They follow the law of the land. They quote it that article of faith all day long.

HOWEVER

They don't follow it when it does not suit them (prop 8), illegal polygamy in Mexico and Utah during young's reign, tax laws, shell corporations, etc

Now that gay marriage is a reality they will have to take a position on how to discriminate legally married couples. This of course, will be until they get THE revelation of our lifetime...

Posted by: brett ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 11:34AM

Has TSCC backed away from polygamy being practiced in the celestial kingdom?

Posted by: ness ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 12:45PM

I think it's one of those "we don't teach it" unless you are in the "know"

I did not hear about it until I was 18 in Single's Ward. The Bishop said "Yes, there will be polygamy in the CK, but sh! don't talk about it, you didn't hear it from me"

*Wink wink

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 11:55AM

Your son is the BEST! Way to go EricJr. But we need a shout-out to you as well because one of the best sentences in the story was "I giggled and told sister gossip that I did not realize that the stake is that worried about losing the youth to their own consciences." The child clearly gets his intelligence and integrity from you. The two of you both rock.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.