Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Fallen Moroni ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 12:49AM

In light of the recent posts about Mormon leaders' subjecting children to sexually invasive interviews, I've created a new Facebook page to draw attention to the issue (and hopefully put a stop to it).

On Facebook, search for:

No More: End Mormons' Sexually Invasive Interviews of Children

I'll continue to add to/improve the site in the coming days.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: August 20, 2013 12:51AM

** the word "Children" got cut off in the subject line **

Posted by: jonathantech ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 12:56AM

Just signed up

Posted by: Rowell back ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 12:56AM

This has been on my ming a lot this week.

I was furious when my 12 year old daughter was asked if she masturbated when she didn't even know what it was.

It should be a parents right to sit in on the youth interviews.

It's creepy to think that a grown man is ALONE in a room with MINOR CHILDREN asking them these types of questions.

Posted by: templeendumbed ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 01:37AM

AWE - EFFIN - SOME.

I don't facebook, but I hope that in the future we can do some shocking, humorous, informative videos that will get this cult behavior across to morg. youth and more generally members. I had a post to try and solicit ideas and people with video-making skills to get some kind of media campaign going.

I'm very glad someone was able to do this. Good Job FM!

Date: August 20, 2013 01:44AM

Thanks! I'll continue to add material to the page and hopefully draw more attention to the issue.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 02:15AM

You've done a good job with the information posted so far. I've seen how this practice has damaged my nephew, while my SIL chirps about how the bishop is "helping" her son. Thanks for starting this page.

Posted by: spanner ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 07:49AM

Hey FM, one of the posters here recently sent a letter to leaders of other congregations describing the interviews and asking whether it was accepted in other faiths. Got a lot of comments back - mostly horrified. That may be really useful for your project. Name of poster escapes me, s/he was concerned for their kids.

Date: August 20, 2013 09:52AM

Cool, I'll see if I can find it -- sounds like great material.

Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 10:56AM

That was copostmo. Hard to say what kind of sharing permission he received.

Posted by: copostmo ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 03:07PM

My email to Christian pastors, along with the responses I received, is here:

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,925430

All of the responses are completely anonymous (I removed any identifying information), so I don't see a problem sharing them.

FYI: You can read more about my interaction with the bishop and stake presidency regarding this issue here:

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,925488

Feel free to use anything from that post on your Facebook page.

Posted by: A ANON ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 10:38AM

Requiring a "confession to authority" is one of the most basic assertions of control and superiority. It is at the foundation of brainwashing. See the history of POWs in Korea, citizens in the Cambodian revolution -- and members of Scientology etc.

The message is always this:

"You answer to me. Even in the most intimate of matters. I am the person in charge here, and you must never forget it. I am virtually a God to you, because God speaks to you through me."

See:

http://www.lds.org/ensign/1978/11/the-blessing-of-church-interviews?lang=eng

and,

http://www.exmormon.org/mormon/mormon316.htm -- "Breaking the will of the members"

Confessions are the main tool that the Alpha Male uses to asserts his power and importance over the herd. And it is particularly powerful when used against young people with their parents' consent!

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 01:21PM

A ANON Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The message is always this:
>
> "You answer to me. Even in the most intimate of
> matters. I am the person in charge here, and you
> must never forget it. I am virtually a God to
> you, because God speaks to you through me."
>

THIS!!!

Date: August 20, 2013 10:30AM

http://exmormonmavens.com/owe-explanation/

Put this on the page. It's what should be done for kids!

Date: August 20, 2013 10:31AM

---

It might be good to have the official page post it too, but I posted it anyways

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2013 10:34AM by jonathantech.

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 10:53AM

This practice really pisses me off. Seriously grizzly bear anger. And I'm a nevermo who never went through it and I don't have kids to worry about or protect... I can only imagine how many of you feel. Grrrr....

I signed up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2013 11:09AM by spaghetti oh.

Posted by: iflewover ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 11:00AM

Fallen Moroni - I believe you may one day point back to this day and say, "I did that" when the cult finally stops/modifies this practice.

Nothing moves those old fucks faster than social pressure.

Stand for something indeed. I can't wait to see them fold like the wet napkins they are.

Truly cool...thank you!

Posted by: Rambo ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 01:15PM

THIS NEEDS EXPOSURE!!!!!

This had a huge impact on my life growing up. I felt extreme guilt having to be interrogated about my sex life since I was 12. Asking 12 year olds about masturbation is wrong and this needs to be stopped. Have the balls to like this page and help put a stop to this type of practice.

Thankyou for setting this up.

Posted by: Cinnamint ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 01:21PM

Just liked it and shared it to my page. Thank you!

Posted by: tapirsaddle ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 02:21PM

Topping cause I don't have facebook.

Posted by: Rambo ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 03:37PM

Topping!!!!

Posted by: order66 ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 03:45PM

Date: August 20, 2013 08:38PM

Posted by: templeendumbed ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 09:00PM

FM,

Is there anyway possible to orient this more toward the youth refusing to disclose anything rather than trying to get perverts like packer to make a policy change.

I think this would be a great step in helping many youth of today to break the cult chains of the future.

Also, if someone with facebook access could make the point that the only other group that requires this is the cult of syentallugy.

I also need to add that it is still AWE EFFIN SOME

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2013 10:14PM by templeendumbed.

Date: August 20, 2013 10:06PM

Great idea, thanks!

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 09:07PM

May I suggest you Tweet or provide a link through Facebook to celebrities and high profile personalities that would be friendly towards your cause. You also might want to include a few reporters and bloggers with high profiles.

I will trust you can think of a few that will come to mind, but let me give you a couple to approach:

Amy Adams
Katherine Heigl
Julianne Hough
John Stewart
Lawrence O'Donnell
Rachel Maddow
Marie Osmond
Dustin Lance Black
Shawn King

Go get 'em! These things go viral when high profile personalities grab the cause. Do you have a minute mock interview video on YouTube as well? Such a resource can vibe easily linked on Twitter and Facebook, allow for education to adults about the interviews and then also educate adolescents about how to handle such questions in these interviews.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2013 09:19PM by gentlestrength.

Date: August 20, 2013 10:07PM

Great thoughts, and much appreciated. This is only the beginning -- there's a lot more I'd like to do to raise visibility.

Posted by: DeAnn ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 09:08PM

Just "liked" the page: number 81.

Anything else we can do?

Recommend the page to others we know?

Posted by: DeAnn ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 09:12PM

Ok. Just invited about 20 others to "like" this page.

Date: August 20, 2013 10:04PM

Yes! If you visit the Facebook page, click on the gear/sprocket icon near the upper-right corner. Select "share" from the drop-down menu -- a pop-up window will appear where you can write your own message and then post the "No More Interviews" page to your wall for everyone to see.

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 09:26PM

LIKED THIS PAGE. My teen daughters had been inactive for four months for one and two years for the other. The executive secretary kept calling my house and insisting that I put my daughters on the phone so he could pressure them to come in for Bishop’s interviews. I was still going, but very unhappy. He finally found the spine in my marshmallow nature. I told him “NO. And don’t ask again.”

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.