Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: colorado ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 08:52PM

https://rsc.byu.edu/archived/no-weapon-shall-prosper/book-mormon-and-origin-native-americans-maternally-inherited-dna

Recently a member of my stake presidency sent me this article and said that it provided him all the answers he needed regarding DNA and the BoM. The article is from 2011 so I am sure it has been discussed here before, however, I could not find a reference when I searched the RfM database.

I have attached his conclusions here, as well as a link to the entire article above, and would like some help from those of you who are DNA savvy to help explain the problems of the science (and conclusions) found in the white paper.

Conclusions

The Book of Mormon is not a volume about the history and origins of all American Indians. A careful reading of the text clearly indicates that the people described in the Book of Mormon were limited in the recording of their history to events that had religious relevance and that occurred in relatively close proximity to the keepers of the annals.

The fact that the DNA of Lehi and his party has not been detected in modern Native American populations does not demonstrate that this group of people never existed or that the Book of Mormon cannot be historical in nature. The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.[76] Further, the very idea of locating the genetic signature of Lehi’s family in modern populations constitutes a truly untestable hypothesis since it is not possible to know the nature of their genetic profiles. Without our knowing the genetic signature to be located, any attempt at researching it will unavoidably result in further assumptions and untestable hypotheses. What were the characteristics of Lehi’s DNA and the DNA of those who went along with him? What haplogroup(s) did they belong to? We will never know. Yet this key point seems lost on those who insist on using genetic evidence as a means to validate or reject the Book of Mormon as a historical narrative. Attempting to make such conclusions is a miscarriage of logic comparable to collecting and analyzing the DNA of thousands of people living in the area surrounding a hypothetical crime scene from which no DNA could be retrieved from the individual who committed the crime, thus creating a comprehensive database of all these people. Will the database include the DNA signature of the criminal? If so, how could the perpetrator be identified among the thousands of others? Similarly, would a database composed of thousands of Native American DNA samples provide the necessary evidence to validate the existence of a small group (perhaps as few as two mtDNA haplotypes) that migrated from the Old World and settled somewhere in the Americas? Conversely, could haplogroup X be undoubtedly inferred as the ultimate proof of the genetic legacy this group left, without ever knowing their actual original DNA signature? Mitochondrial DNA is a powerful tool in reconstructing the history of our race, as demonstrated by the numerous publications that have been produced over the past two-and-a-half decades. However, as has been amply demonstrated, knowing a great deal about the genetic composition of modern-day Native American populations does not give conclusive evidence of the validity or the implausibility of the Book of Mormon’s historicity.

An additional caveat is the lack of professional training in population genetics by those promoting a supposed discrepancy between the genetic evidence and the Book of Mormon account. Some of them claim that their conclusions are strongly supported by trained experts who have been consulted for unbiased opinions about this particular matter.[77]This should raise some concerns, though, since it is fairly obvious that most people outside of the circle of Mormonism have very limited knowledge of the Book of Mormon and its contents. As a further counterpoint to the critics’ arguments, these experts seem to be in agreement that DNA lineages from a small Old World group migrating to an already heavily populated American continent would disappear.[78] Moreover, it is also noteworthy that what these scientists know about what Latter-day Saints believe has been provided mainly as one-sided background information from the critics themselves. To offer a personal anecdote, my scientist colleagues have asked me about DNA evidence and the Book of Mormon on several occasions. I respond with a simple summary in which I explain that the DNA lineages of Lehi’s colony could have been lost due to genetic drift since the number of people involved was probably fairly small compared to the size of the resident Amerindian population. I also explain that it is not possible to distinguish those lineages from post-Columbian admixture, simply because 2,600 years is not enough time for Book of Mormon mtDNA to differentiate Lehi’s descendants from their Eurasian counterparts. My colleagues typically reply that they are not convinced that I have accurately represented what Latter-day Saints believe—namely, that Lehi’s posterity comprises all Native Americans. These personal experiences give context for evaluating “genuine experts’ opinions,” based as they are on what the critics may have shared as background information regarding the Book of Mormon and Latter-day Saint beliefs. Ultimately, the critics’ arguments hold up only when they prescribe what it is that Latter-day Saints believe. Since neither the Book of Mormon nor Church doctrine indicates that all Native Americans descend from the Book of Mormon people, the critics’ arguments are on a weak footing at the outset.

In light of the information provided in this essay, it should be evident that the work of reconstructing the history of Native American populations using molecular data is still under way. Some questions can be answered, but many more remain, and spur further research. The genetic evidence of the peopling of the Americas is not fully understood, and it has evolved substantially over the past two decades. DNA research, and particularly mtDNA data, has been produced in great abundance during this time period and has provided an initial glimpse into the history and prehistory of the indigenous peoples of the Western Hemisphere. This is truly an exciting time to study the genetic history of Native Americans, for there is much yet to be understood. For example, how is the high frequency of haplogroup B in Southeast Asia and western South America reconciled with its rarity in the native populations of north Siberia and Alaska? The scarcity of archaeological evidence for human settlements on either side of the Bering Strait provides a degree of intrigue, considering that mainstream scientists currently accept Beringia as the likely refugium for Paleo-Indians during the last ice age, leaving open the possibility for alternative routes into the Americas.[79]

Mitochondrial DNA is doubtless a powerful tool that can reveal details about the expansion processes leading to the colonization of the world, including America’s double continent. However, it is not well suited as the ultimate tool to assess the historicity of religious documents like the Book of Mormon and the Bible. If the DNA of Lehi and his family cannot be confidently detected in the modern Amerindian population, does it mean that they never existed? The principles underlying this question can be further extrapolated to other religious scenarios. Can we use DNA to decisively prove that the great biblical patriarchs—Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob—ever existed? What were their own and their descendants’ mtDNA haplotypes? What about the other great Old Testament figures, such as Joseph of Egypt, Moses, and Isaiah? Can we use DNA analysis to prove that Jesus Christ lived? The New Testament mentions that Jesus had brothers and sisters (Matthew 13:55–56; Mark 6:3) through whom Mary’s mtDNA could have been transmitted to future generations (and if not through Mary, perhaps through some of her female relatives). Where is their DNA in today’s population? Would it be acceptable to conclude that these are fictional historical figures and the biblical text a hoax because of the lack of genetic evidence?

As I already commented on another occasion, “I find no difficulties in reconciling my scientific passion about Native American history with my religious beliefs. I am not looking for a personal testimony of the Book of Mormon in the double helix. The scientific method and the test of faith are two strongly connected dimensions of my existence, working synergistically in providing greater understanding, knowledge, and from time to time even a glimpse into God’s eternal mysteries.”[80]Anyone using DNA to ascertain the accuracy of historical events of a religious nature—which require instead a component of faith—will be sorely disappointed. DNA studies will continue to assist in reconstructing the history of Native American and other populations, but it is through faith that we are asked to search for truth in holy writings (Moroni 10:3–5).[81]

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 09:00PM

I am unable to discuss this scientific fact with Mormons because I am confident that I was taught and that it was Church doctrine and history that the lands were not inhabited prior to the arrival of the Jaredites and Lehi's family, that the lands of North and South America were filled with the descendants of these families (like the sands of the sea), and that huge civilizations were destroyed during times of warfare where millions perished.

Since they have adapted their doctrines to try and apologize for the science not supporting their doctrine I know I am negotiating with intellectually dishonest people who do not have a commitment to integrity, but a commitment to their Mormon faith--whatever that may be at the moment. I do not know anymore what they will commit to as doctrine in public.

Posted by: Checker of minor facts ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 10:20PM

This is a very good point! You have put into words just what I have felt about it for a long time now.

Posted by: ASteve ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 12:54PM

+1

Apologists today try to bs away away from the fact that Lehites left no trace by claiming they were a small population. But according to Mormon doctrine, including all four scriptures, they were the ONLY people left after the Jaredites, who were killed off. ANyone here before the Jaredites, was killed in the Noachian flood. So they are actually arguing that the church is not true, to prove that it is.

Date: August 22, 2013 12:24PM

What's the best word for I don't believe what I taught because of what you and I now know, and I also refuse to acknowledge that I taught what I used to believe because of what you and an now know?

Posted by: upsidedown ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 09:22PM

There are a few threads that address the DNA subject. There has not been one quote or doctrine or hint at "other people" being on the American continent in the history of the church. The book of Mormon continually says the the land has been saved for the inheritance of Lehi Family and the Jeradites as a "land of promise". That has been the story from the time of Joe Smith down to Gordon Hinkley. Then when DNA testing (science) advanced enough to prove there is no way that anyone ever populated the Americas with millions and millions of people...the church has changed it's story, and changed it's doctrine.

Simon Southernton has a good blog that will keep you reading for hours that addresses the topic and is up to date.

Link:

http://simonsoutherton.blogspot.com.au/2013/07/swedish-rescue-official-church.html

Posted by: GenY ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 09:55PM

There are many examples of the D&C and Joseph Smith referring to the Native Americans as Lamanites. This has been the church's teaching/understanding through many apostles and prophets. Only until recently, because of scientific discovery and understanding has the DNA issue been a thorn in their side forcing them to alter their views of who the Lamanites are, subtley changing the BoM intro, etc.

Posted by: upsidedown ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 10:19PM

From Simon Southernton's blog that I linked to above.

"We Don't Need Lehite DNA, We Need non-Asian DNA
It is nonsensical to claim that because we don't know what the DNA of Lehi's family looks like we cannot possibly find Lehite DNA today. We know that Lehi and Mulek were members of two different Israelite tribes and that they and their families lived in Jerusalem. It is perfectly reasonable to assume that both the Lehites and Mulekites were Israelites, or at the very least closely related to people living in the Middle East. We know a considerable amount about the DNA lineages of living people whose ancestors were Israelites reaching back 2600 years ago. Israelite DNA lineages belong to the same family groups found in European populations: the H, I, J, K, N, T, U, V, W, and X groups. Other Middle Eastern populations such as the Syrians, Egyptians, Lebanese, and other Arabic groups have similar mitochondrial DNA lineages belonging to these families. Essentially all Europeans and Middle Easterners possess one of these lineages.

LDS apologists didn't need ancient Asian DNA to be convinced that American Indians are essentially all descended from Asian ancestors. So why do we need ancient Israelite DNA? John Butler has loudly trumpeted the missing Lehite DNA argument; yet he was persuaded “that almost all Native Americans tested thus far possess genetic signatures closely resembling modern-day Asians”.

One of the attractions of working with DNA is that it carries its own history within its sequence. People who are related to each other carry DNA that shares common spelling changes that have accumulated throughout time. Anthropologists don’t need an ancient DNA sample to confirm relatedness because related DNA lineages by definition share common DNA spelling changes that occurred in their ancestors. Modern populations carry everything we need because these informative DNA spellings are rarely lost over the generations; rather, they are inherited down the generations.

The other obvious problem is that we don't have any Native American DNA lineages that are even candidate Israelite DNA lineages. Those that don't belong to the five lineage families (A to D, X) are derived from Western European or African populations and arrived after Columbus. This is especially true for Mesoamerica, a place where many apologists believe the Book of Mormon was played out. Virtually 100% of Native American DNA lineages are Asian in origin. They belong to large lineage families that have common ancestors with Asian lineages going back about 15,000 years.

Even if Asian lineages miraculously found there way to Israel 3,000 years ago and were picked up by the Lehites, they would be distantly related to the Asian lineages that found their way to the New World over 15,000 years ago. For the same reason contemporary Asian A lineages, for example, are easily distinguished from contemporary Native American A lineages."

http://simonsoutherton.blogspot.com.au/2013/07/swedish-rescue-official-church.html

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 10:59PM

In other words, they are moving the goal post.

Date: August 20, 2013 11:42PM

Whatever it takes, Church is True.

Posted by: MCR ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 09:49AM

Not only are they moving the goalpost, but the central question has been answered, so, to keep the dialogue going, they're simply blowing smoke.

As was pointed out in the Sourthernton blog, you don't need to know anything about Lehi's DNA particularly. All you need to know is that Lehi was an Israelite and go looking for that DNA. It's not there. End of story. And as was also pointed out, DNA doesn't dilute or disappear.

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: August 20, 2013 11:46PM

"The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."

Which is why I still believe in Unicorns, Bigfoot, UFOs, a Obelisk orbiting Jupiter, Leprechauns, Nessie, and the brains of FAIR apologists.

Posted by: anon for this ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 12:02AM

Dr. Perego dehumanizes the very people he studies. In this video he states that those before 6,000 years ago were not human.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ilin4lt0nQ

You could ask your member of the Stake Presidency why Mormonism is so willing to dehumanize the very people that it used to claim were special.

Read more here:
http://signaturebooks.com/2012/09/mormon-scientist-concedes-native-american-origins/

Posted by: runtu ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 11:10AM

What a bizarre video from Perego. He almost seems embarrassed to be spouting the religious nonsense in a desperate effort to reconcile it with science.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 12:25AM

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,996481

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2013 12:25AM by steve benson.

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 08:55AM

> The Book of Mormon is not a volume about the
> history and origins of all American Indians.

I guess we can all agree on that!

> A careful reading of the text clearly indicates that
> the people described in the Book of Mormon were
> limited in the recording of their history to
> events that had religious relevance and that
> occurred in relatively close proximity to the
> keepers of the annals.

True, but that has no bearing on the question of genetic origin. Wheter a person writes a lot or a little has absolutely nothing to do with his or her DNA. This is a smoke screen.

> The fact that the DNA of Lehi and his party has
> not been detected in modern Native American
> populations does not demonstrate that this group
> of people never existed or that the Book of Mormon
> cannot be historical in nature.

No, but it does demonstrate that there is no genetic evidence of Lehi and his party having actually existed. That decreases the likelihood of the BoM being historical. It is not a neutral statement on a 50/50 proposition.

> Further, the very idea of locating the genetic signature of
> Lehi’s family in modern populations constitutes
> a truly untestable hypothesis since it is not
> possible to know the nature of their genetic
> profiles.

Lie much, Ugo? Of course it is possible to know the nature of a band of related people from Jerusalem around 600 B.C. It may not be possible to get an exact map of their genome but surely somthing can be said of the nature of the genetic profiles?

> Without our knowing the genetic
> signature to be located, any attempt at
> researching it will unavoidably result in further
> assumptions and untestable hypotheses. What were
> the characteristics of Lehi’s DNA and the DNA of
> those who went along with him? What haplogroup(s)
> did they belong to? We will never know.

We shall never know because we are talking about imaginary characters from a badly written 19th-century religious fable. Unless proven otherwise, of course. You see, Ugo, the burden of proof is on you!

> Yet this key point seems lost on those who insist on using
> genetic evidence as a means to validate or reject
> the Book of Mormon as a historical narrative.

Examples? Quotations? Or is this just a cheap straw man, Ugo?

> Attempting to make such conclusions is a
> miscarriage of logic comparable to collecting and
> analyzing the DNA of thousands of people living in
> the area surrounding a hypothetical crime scene
> from which no DNA could be retrieved from the
> individual who committed the crime, thus creating
> a comprehensive database of all these people. Will
> the database include the DNA signature of the
> criminal?

Uh, you just said that "no DNA could be retrieved fom the individual who committed the crime". Were you drinking, Ugo, when you came up with this nonsense?

> If so, how could the perpetrator be
> identified among the thousands of others?

It couldn't, you just said so yourself. What's your point man? You're not making sense, Ugo. Although you probably think this is all a very clever analogy. Or at least hope that your TBM readers will.

> Similarly, would a database composed of thousands
> of Native American DNA samples provide the
> necessary evidence to validate the existence of a
> small group (perhaps as few as two mtDNA
> haplotypes) that migrated from the Old World and
> settled somewhere in the Americas?

The database wouldn't, but Old World DNA would. The absence of Old World DNA reduces the likelihood of the BoM being historical and with each record that is added to the database, that likelihood decreases.

> Conversely,
> could haplogroup X be undoubtedly inferred as the
> ultimate proof of the genetic legacy this group
> left, without ever knowing their actual original
> DNA signature?

Don't know. I do know to beware when people start using terms like "undoubtedly" and "ultimate". It usually means they are running out of arguments and are trying to force an issue.

> Mitochondrial DNA is a powerful
> tool in reconstructing the history of our race, as
> demonstrated by the numerous publications that
> have been produced over the past two-and-a-half
> decades. However, as has been amply demonstrated,
> knowing a great deal about the genetic composition
> of modern-day Native American populations does not
> give conclusive evidence of the validity or the
> implausibility of the Book of Mormon’s
> historicity.

Again, maybe not conclusive evidence but it does severely reduce the likelihood. The question you must answer, Ugo, is whether that very small likelihood is enough for you to base your life choices on.

> An additional caveat is the lack of professional
> training in population genetics by those promoting
> a supposed discrepancy between the genetic
> evidence and the Book of Mormon account. Some of
> them claim that their conclusions are strongly
> supported by trained experts who have been
> consulted for unbiased opinions about this
> particular matter.[77]

Right, on to the ad hominems. I hope you have very concrete examples and proofs.

> This should raise some
> concerns, though, since it is fairly obvious that
> most people outside of the circle of Mormonism
> have very limited knowledge of the Book of Mormon
> and its contents.

"Fairly obvious", that's your argument? The burden of proof is on you, remember?

> As a further counterpoint to the
> critics’ arguments, these experts seem to be in
> agreement that DNA lineages from a small Old World
> group migrating to an already heavily populated
> American continent would disappear.[78]

I can't check the reference so I'll give you that point - on the condition that you point out where in the BoM it says that the promised land was "already heavily populated".

> Moreover,
> it is also noteworthy that what these scientists
> know about what Latter-day Saints believe has been
> provided mainly as one-sided background
> information from the critics themselves.

That's quite an accusation to make to you fellow scientists, Ugo. Can you back that up with solid evidence?

> To offer
> a personal anecdote, my scientist colleagues have
> asked me about DNA evidence and the Book of Mormon
> on several occasions. I respond with a simple
> summary in which I explain that the DNA lineages
> of Lehi’s colony could have been lost due to
> genetic drift since the number of people involved
> was probably fairly small compared to the size of
> the resident Amerindian population. I also explain
> that it is not possible to distinguish those
> lineages from post-Columbian admixture, simply
> because 2,600 years is not enough time for Book of
> Mormon mtDNA to differentiate Lehi’s descendants
> from their Eurasian counterparts. My colleagues
> typically reply that they are not convinced that I
> have accurately represented what Latter-day Saints
> believe—namely, that Lehi’s posterity
> comprises all Native Americans.

Well, I happen to agree with your colleagues. My conjecture is that it is you, Ugo, who is labouring under a false assumption, namely that FAIR's lies and distortions accurately represent what Latter-Day Saints believe.

> These personal
> experiences give context for evaluating “genuine
> experts’ opinions,” based as they are on what
> the critics may have shared as background
> information regarding the Book of Mormon and
> Latter-day Saint beliefs.

No, they do not. Have you ever heard of peer review, Ugo? That's where and how you should make your case, not by drawing on "personal experiences". Too bad, though, that there is not a single peer reviewed article in the entire body of scientific literature about the historicity of the BoM. Must be a conspiracy...

> Ultimately, the
> critics’ arguments hold up only when they
> prescribe what it is that Latter-day Saints
> believe.

I see what you're doing here. It's called projection! The only ones who need to control the debate is you, Ugo. Otherwise, you could simply submit your research to a peer reviewed journal. You do profess to be a scientists, don't you? Publish or perish, Ugo.

> Since neither the Book of Mormon nor
> Church doctrine indicates that all Native
> Americans descend from the Book of Mormon people,
> the critics’ arguments are on a weak footing at
> the outset.

Who's prescribing what Latter-Day Saints believe now, Ugo?

> In light of the information provided in this
> essay, it should be evident that the work of
> reconstructing the history of Native American
> populations using molecular data is still under
> way.
> Some questions can be answered, but many more
> remain, and spur further research. The genetic
> evidence of the peopling of the Americas is not
> fully understood, and it has evolved substantially
> over the past two decades. DNA research, and
> particularly mtDNA data, has been produced in
> great abundance during this time period and has
> provided an initial glimpse into the history and
> prehistory of the indigenous peoples of the
> Western Hemisphere. This is truly an exciting time
> to study the genetic history of Native Americans,
> for there is much yet to be understood. For
> example, how is the high frequency of haplogroup B
> in Southeast Asia and western South America
> reconciled with its rarity in the native
> populations of north Siberia and Alaska? The
> scarcity of archaeological evidence for human
> settlements on either side of the Bering Strait
> provides a degree of intrigue, considering that
> mainstream scientists currently accept Beringia as
> the likely refugium for Paleo-Indians during the
> last ice age, leaving open the possibility for
> alternative routes into the Americas.[79]

What, if anything, does this have to do with the fact that none of this "abundance" of research supports the BoM as historical in any way? Are you looking for gaps to park you god in, Ugo?

> Mitochondrial DNA is doubtless a powerful tool
> that can reveal details about the expansion
> processes leading to the colonization of the
> world, including America’s double continent.
> However, it is not well suited as the ultimate
> tool to assess the historicity of religious
> documents like the Book of Mormon and the Bible.

Well, maybe not the "ultimate" tool but is has you apologists on the run for the better part of 20 years now, hasn't it?

> If the DNA of Lehi and his family cannot be
> confidently detected in the modern Amerindian
> population, does it mean that they never existed?

In all likelihood: yes, that's what it means. Especially when combined with all the other tons and tons of evidence against the BoM as history.

> The principles underlying this question can be
> further extrapolated to other religious scenarios.
> Can we use DNA to decisively prove that the great
> biblical patriarchs—Abraham, Isaac, and
> Jacob—ever existed? What were their own and
> their descendants’ mtDNA haplotypes? What about
> the other great Old Testament figures, such as
> Joseph of Egypt, Moses, and Isaiah? Can we use DNA
> analysis to prove that Jesus Christ lived? The New
> Testament mentions that Jesus had brothers and
> sisters (Matthew 13:55–56; Mark 6:3) through
> whom Mary’s mtDNA could have been transmitted to
> future generations (and if not through Mary,
> perhaps through some of her female relatives).
> Where is their DNA in today’s population? Would
> it be acceptable to conclude that these are
> fictional historical figures and the biblical text
> a hoax because of the lack of genetic evidence?

Yes, that is very much acceptable. In fact, the vast majority of the world's population doesn't believe in the same religious fairy tales as you do, Ugo.

If you want to be a scientist, do science. If you're going to appeal to the bible to make your point, I cannot take you seriously as a scientist. Sorry, not my rules :-)

> As I already commented on another occasion, “I
> find no difficulties in reconciling my scientific
> passion about Native American history with my
> religious beliefs. I am not looking for a personal
> testimony of the Book of Mormon in the double
> helix. The scientific method and the test of faith
> are two strongly connected dimensions of my
> existence, working synergistically in providing
> greater understanding, knowledge, and from time to
> time even a glimpse into God’s eternal
> mysteries.”[80]

Good for you that you can stick your head that deep into the sand but that isn't an argument in favour of BoM historicity. If anything, it's a testament to your own gullibility and irrationality.

> Anyone using DNA to ascertain the
> accuracy of historical events of a religious
> nature—which require instead a component of
> faith—will be sorely disappointed.

Yes, that is why the members are leaving your church in droves.

> DNA studies
> will continue to assist in reconstructing the
> history of Native American and other populations,
> but it is through faith that we are asked to
> search for truth in holy writings (Moroni
> 10:3–5).[81]

Then why the hell are you posing as a scientist?

Posted by: jong1064 ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 01:22PM

Rt, your responses helped me to understand Ugo's nonsense better than anything else I have read. And I enjoyed your sarcastic jabs. Maybe you should send this to him. What an idiot! He should be barred from whatever science-y group thingies he belongs to.

Date: August 22, 2013 10:01AM

Thanks, you're welcome. I'm not an expert on DNA but that is seldom necessary to refute apologetics. Just basic reasoning skills and a working knowledge of common fallacies will do. The sarcasm follows naturally...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2013 10:02AM by rt.

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 10:06AM

Perego's two main arguments are the same the apologists have had for a decade.

1) We don't have Lehi's DNA, so no match can be made.

Ugo specifically wrote: "the very idea of locating the genetic signature of Lehi’s family in modern populations constitutes a truly untestable hypothesis since it is not possible to know the nature of their genetic profiles...What were the characteristics of Lehi’s DNA and the DNA of those who went along with him? What haplogroup(s) did they belong to? We will never know."

Reply:
=#=#=
As Simon Southerton has written, "Blog title: We Don't Need Lehite DNA, We Need non-Asian DNA.
"It is nonsensical to claim that because we don't know what the DNA of Lehi's family looks like we cannot possibly find Lehite DNA today. We know that Lehi and Mulek were members of two different Israelite tribes and that they and their families lived in Jerusalem. It is perfectly reasonable to assume that both the Lehites and Mulekites were Israelites "

In fact, the BoM claims exactly this:

Alma 10:3 "Lehi, who came out of the land of Jerusalem, who was a descendant of Manasseh, who was the son of Joseph who was sold into Egypt by the hands of his brethren."

1 Ne:5:14 "Lehi, also found upon the plates of brass a genealogy of his fathers; wherefore he knew that he was a descendant of Joseph; yea, even that Joseph who was the son of Jacob"

Mulek was a descendant of royal blood, as son of King Zedekiah, whose genealogy is given in the Bible.

Hel 8:21 "And now will you dispute that Jerusalem was destroyed? Will ye say that the sons of Zedekiah were not slain, all except it were Mulek? Yea, and do ye not behold that the seed of Zedekiah are with us, and they were driven out of the land of Jerusalem? But behold, this is not all"

Hel 6:10 "Mulek, which was after the son of Zedekiah"

Mulek's city Zarahemla was the largest of the nephite cities.

Mosiah 25:2 "Now there were not so many of the children of Nephi, or so many of those who were descendants of Nephi, as there were of the people of Zarahemla, who was a descendant of Mulek, and those who came with him into the wilderness."

There shouldn't be any question about DNA if you believe what the BoM says. Apparently, turely and the GAs don't believe their own BoM anymore.

DNA testing is much more sensitive than it was just two years ago. And even then, it was sensitive enough that we can find the Lemba. They descended and separated from Jews around 600BC (same time as Lehi and Mulek), they mixed with a subcontinent of Africa and yet we can find the small founder moment from their (diluted) Jewish line.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/israel/familylemba.html

Given that the BoM claims that Mulek descended from the Royal Jewish line (king Zedekiah) and founded the largest city (Zarahemla), his alleged DNA is or would be very well known, just as it is with the Lemba. And it is very absent in native Americans.

In the Lemba case, the sensitivity of the DNA tests are so high that they can identify, 2600 years later that the "Buba clan which, in Lemba oral tradition, had a leadership role in bringing the Lemba out of Israel." A single family line among many in a diluted sea of a sub continent...
=#=#=

Ugo's second argument:
2) Genetic drift/dilution means the DNA is lost

Ugo specfically wrote: "the DNA lineages of Lehi’s colony could have been lost due to genetic drift since the number of people involved was probably fairly small compared to the size of the resident Amerindian population."

Reply:
-+-+-
Dilution is a lame argument for founder events (such as a completely different Y-DNA or mtDNA Haplogroup) entering into another population. The BoM alleges they lived and flourished (multiplied exceedingly, filled the land, etc) over a 1000 years.

Even mormon geneticists have shown evidence that dilution is a weak (pun intended) argument.

In his haplotypic study, Ugo Perego himself contradicts the dilution argument. He writes that there is a
"novel X2 branch...named X2g, and its presence in Native Americans most probably indicates an additional and very rare Native American founder..."

( See http://www.genetree.com/documents/achilli_perego_distinctive_perego_et_al_paleo_indian_migrations_2009_current_biology.pdf )

The haplogroup X2g, as I understand, is theorized to have entered the lineage through this rare individual founder much more than 10,000 years ago.

Okay, if 10+kya X2g can be found today, I'm sure there's a detectable haplotype from the Davidic line that can be seen from entry into a population 2,600 ya.

In fact, in the book, Genetic Diversity Among Jews by Batsheva Bonn-Temir and Avinoam Adam, Oxford University Press, 1992, chapter 4 is titled Types of Mitochondrial DNA among Jews.

Studies found that mtDNA variability from Jewish women was smaller than among other population (including Caucasian, Asian, Australian,African). Interestingly, they found that Native Amerindians have lower mtDNA heterogeneity values / variability. A lot of work in Jewish mtDNA focuses on Ashkenazic Jews, which have 14 different mtDNA types.

(See also,

The Matrilineal Ancestry of Ashkenazi Jewry: Portrait of a Recent Founder Event
http://www.familytreedna.com/pdf/43026_Doron.pdf

MtDNA evidence for a genetic bottleneck in the early history of the Ashkenazi Jewish population
http://www.familytreedna.com/pdf/Behar%202004%20mtDNA.pdf )

For paternal matching (think of recent advances in admixture studies) see:
http://www.familytreedna.com/group-join.aspx?group=Davidic
where they've identified Y-DNA12, Y-DNA37, or Y-DNA67 markers as royalty, going all the way back to David. How fortunate for the Mulek searchers!

If there's not enough here to go on for finding traces of Mulek's lineage among Amerindians, when they can find a single introduction of X2g by a rare founder 10+kya, then the FAIRies better just keep their excuses to themselves.

Finding Mulek should be easier than anything. But he's no where to be found!

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 10:50AM

"Losing a Lost Tribe" continually emphasizes the text of the Book of Mormon that demonstrates that the Book of Mormon is written with the understanding that Lehi and his family arrived into an uninhabited land.

Any people like the Mulekites or Jesus, are also from Israel. There is no explicit mention of any other people.

The DNA evidence undermines the basic assumption under which the Book of Mormon was written--that is the understanding of 19th century Bible believers.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 12:19PM

May I say again I'm sick of the "careful reading of the text" argument; what that really means is "a sifting for alternate meanings of the text".

How can anyone with any integrity ignore what is actually in the BoM in sentences that DON'T NEED a "careful" reading, because they are SPELLED OUT RIGHT THERE IN PLAIN LANGUAGE even for the CASUAL READER.

The LDS church prides itself on getting god stuff straight from god--why should anyone have to read BETWEEN THE LINES!?!?

Whew...I feel better now.....

Date: August 21, 2013 12:42PM

Thank you all for the suggestions. When I finish my response to him later today, I will post it here.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 03:38PM

Nibley's Disease, aka "Apologists' Atrophy."

I actually read the entire article in the wee hours (and sent a heads up e-mail to Simon Southerton inviting him to comment). Unfortunately, even fits of sporadic laughter couldn't keep me awake long enough to compose a coherent reply.

(two minute break while I grab my second cup of industrial strength Folgers)

In the first 40 paragraphs or so we were subjected to a lot of irrelevant "background information" that was a mix of legitimate science information and utter hornswaggle. I'm grateful my close friend Jesus Smith chimed in; his background in molecular biology is much better than mine, as is his knowledge of LDS Lore and Doctrine. He was one of the truly faithful while I never progressed beyond "ward project." I am well-versed in apologists' tactics, however, so we should have a really clear picture of why this bluster is essentially nonsense.

The fall back position for BOM defenders (excluding the Meldrumites, a whole 'nother can of shinola) is the insistence the book makes no statements about others in the New World despite the BOM's claim it was to be "kept from the knowledge from other nations."

From 2nd Nephi 1:8-9

>And behold, it is wisdom that this land should be kept as yet from the knowledge of other nations; for behold, many nations would overrun the land, that there would be no place for an inheritance.

>Wherefore, I, Lehi, have obtained a promise, that inasmuch as those whom the Lord God shall bring out of the land of Jerusalem shall keep his commandments, they shall prosper upon the face of this land; and they shall be kept from all other nations, that they may possess this land unto themselves.

Perego, however doesn't hesitate to take Lyin' Lehi to the woodshed...

>Furthermore, it is implausible that ancient record keepers would have had a comprehensive knowledge of all the goings-on of the entire vast landmass of the Americas, considering that the distance from northern Canada to southern Patagonia is about 8,700 miles, a greater distance than that from Portugal to Japan! Despite these many complex factors, since the publication of the Book of Mormon in 1830, Mormons and non-Mormons alike have resorted to speculation in an attempt to fill in the historical and geographical details that are either completely missing or only briefly alluded to in the Book of Mormon text.

Okay, okay, /steve benson voice off... ;-)

The other tactic that exposes Perego's agenda is the claim that one can't discuss the issues understandably without an in-depth knowledge of the Book of Mormon itself. From his conclusion:

>An additional caveat is the lack of professional training in population genetics by those promoting a supposed discrepancy between the genetic evidence and the Book of Mormon account. Some of them claim that their conclusions are strongly supported by trained experts who have been consulted for unbiased opinions about this particular matter. This should raise some concerns, though, since it is fairly obvious that most people outside of the circle of Mormonism have very limited knowledge of the Book of Mormon and its contents. As a further counterpoint to the critics’ arguments, these experts seem to be in agreement that DNA lineages from a small Old World group migrating to an already heavily populated American continent would disappear. Moreover, it is also noteworthy that what these scientists know about what Latter-day Saints believe has been provided mainly as one-sided background information from the critics themselves.

Simon has made hay out of that "population genticist" nonsense, noting that it is akin to saying that since he's a plant geneticist he isn't qualified to speak to the subject of "forest genetics."

Too, that "limited knowledge of the Book of Mormon and its contents" is just "codespeak" to the faithful. I'll plead guilty to that one (and I've got better things to read than the BOM, thank you), but that doesn't hold true for Southerton, Thomas Murphy, or RFM contributors such as Jesus Smith, Steve Benson, Raptor Jesus, Deconstructor, or dozens of other RFM "regulars." What apologetics do offer are subtle forms of psychological abuse and manipulation via the "moving goal post" tactics identified above as well as "gaslighting" where the claim is that people didn't see or read what they're certain they know or saw.

Finally, in reviewing the DNA claims presented, most of them are "dated" despite the 2011 publication date. This amounts to rehashing where the obvious rule becomes "when in doubt, obfuscate," amd there's a disjointed inconsistency that is utterly unprofessional. There's a reference to early findings of the D4h3 haplogroup (see Brian Kemp and "On Your Knees Cave Man" for that one) which is used to support the claim that there will be "more mysteries" unveiled; in truth Perego used that data--along with findings from the Sorenson Institute--to promote his "two simultaneous migrations" hypothesis (which ignored some D4h3 DNA found in pre-Columbian remains uncovered in Illinois), and I'm troubled that he was able to publish this in peer-reviewed publications when common sense knowledge about the geography of North America is ignored, as was the actual distribution of Haplogroup X2a among the Yakima and Indians living near the Northern Rocky Mountains. And seriously, Ugo, what do Neanderthals have to do with Native Americans?

Worse is that "absence of evidence is not evidence of absence" cliché... I've been reviewing Perego's later publications, and he clearly uses "absence of evidence" as springboards for some of his later conclusions. He noted, for example the distribution of Haplogroup B in certain regions, its near absence in areas, and uses that as a basis for inferring ancient migration patterns and history. His tactics are clearly "pick and choose science" where he decides to attribute something to "genetic drift" in some instances (he does so in this article) and elsewhere offers something he believes will be accepted by the scientific palate.

My apologies for resorting to metaphors, but even his work outside LDS apologetics doesn't pass the "smell test" for me (nor does it for "anon for this" above; don't be tossing brickbats at that individual; their information is rock solid).

Within the apologetics crowd (he recently went to work for the Church Education System), the information attributed to him amounts to a hodge-podge of disjointed attempts to impress the faithful and secure their silence with quantities of material rather than quality. I'm tempted to call it the "Coffee Table Book of Apologetics," except Mormons shun coffee...

Hey, there's an Honest Cabdriver Philosophical Question:

What do Mormons call coffee tables? That one's outside of my realm of expertise as well... I mean they don't make Postum anymore, so that one's out...

SLC
Reduced to making jokes because this stuff is a joke

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2013 04:10PM by SL Cabbie.

Posted by: jong1064 ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 07:13AM

Wait! No more Postum? Are you serious?

Date: August 21, 2013 03:51PM

I would like to see Simon or another expert on admixture analysis address this one point by Ugo:

" Based on the molecular clocks currently used by the scientific community, it would be nearly impossible to distinguish a Eurasian lineage that arrived 2,600 years ago from those brought by Europeans after the discovery of America’s double continent, simply because there would not have been enough time for these lineages to differentiate enough to allow discernment between pre-Columbian and post-Columbian admixture. "

I believe it's not an inherent block in the science as much as an practical issue with the current method resolving admixtures and clock. With more data, that error should shrink.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 07:08AM

Jesus Smith Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would like to see Simon or another expert on
> admixture analysis address this one point by Ugo:
>
> " Based on the molecular clocks currently used by
> the scientific community, it would be nearly
> impossible to distinguish a Eurasian lineage that
> arrived 2,600 years ago from those brought by
> Europeans after the discovery of America’s
> double continent, simply because there would not
> have been enough time for these lineages to
> differentiate enough to allow discernment between
> pre-Columbian and post-Columbian admixture. "
>
> I believe it's not an inherent block in the
> science as much as an practical issue with the
> current method resolving admixtures and clock.
> With more data, that error should shrink.

I don't have time to respond to Ugo Perego's lengthy article, but I wanted to quickly respond to the point he makes above.

Perego is overlooking the fact that if Lehite Eurasians arrived 2,600 years ago they would carry different DNA lineages than the Eurasians who arrived in large numbers after Columbus. That's because the Lehites allegedly came from the Middle East and the vast majority of Eurasians arriving after Columbus came from Western Europe (Spain, Portugal, France, UK).

Several DNA lineage families (or haplogroups) are shared between the Middle East and Europe. For example, the H lineage is very common in Europe (almost 50%), but it is also present in the Middle East (~25%). However, H lineages are not all the same. There are literally hundreds of sub-families (clades) of H lineages that have distinctive mutations (http://www.geni.com/projects/H-mtDNA/3925). The different sub clades are frequently specific to particular regions. Many of the H lineages found in Middle Eastern populations can be distinguished from H lineages in Western European populations.

Thousands of mtDNA lineages from Middle Eastern and European populations have been completely sequenced (all 16,600 bases) and deposited in databases. So if a Eurasian DNA lineage (e.g. H, T or U) is found in a Native American it is possible to see if it matches any DNA lineages in the database. This has been done for a few lineages in Central American populations. About 1700 Native Americans from Mesoamerica have been DNA tested. Of the 1% of DNA lineages not derived from Asia (16), three were L lineages (African) and the rest were European lineages. The only matches scientists have found to date come from individuals living in Western European countries such as Spain and Portugal.

http://simonsoutherton.blogspot.com.au/2011/12/where-are-lamanites-in-mesoamerica.html

We know that Jewish populations did migrate to the New World after Columbus and it would not be surprising to eventually detect the odd Middle Eastern DNA lineage in Native Americans. But the most likely origin of all of the non-Asian DNA lineages detected in Native Americans to date is either Africa or Europe. No evidence of Hebrew DNA has been found.

Date: August 22, 2013 07:38AM

Simon:
"if Lehite Eurasians arrived 2,600 years ago they would carry different DNA lineages than the Eurasians who arrived in large numbers after Columbus. That's because the Lehites allegedly came from the Middle East and the vast majority of Eurasians arriving after Columbus came from Western Europe (Spain, Portugal, France, UK)."

Thanks for that.

Do you agree with Ugo that admixture methods cannot resolve the same DNA groups/markers with only 2000 years between them? Is the mutation/molecular clock unable to resolve this time in principle, or only in practice because we haven't accumulated enough statistics to know the finer resolution in the clock?

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 09:32AM

Jesus Smith Wrote:
> Simon:
> "if Lehite Eurasians arrived 2,600 years ago they
> would carry different DNA lineages than the
> Eurasians who arrived in large numbers after
> Columbus. That's because the Lehites allegedly
> came from the Middle East and the vast majority of
> Eurasians arriving after Columbus came from
> Western Europe (Spain, Portugal, France, UK)."
>
> Thanks for that.
>
> Do you agree with Ugo that admixture methods
> cannot resolve the same DNA groups/markers with
> only 2000 years between them? Is the
> mutation/molecular clock unable to resolve this
> time in principle, or only in practice because we
> haven't accumulated enough statistics to know the
> finer resolution in the clock?

The shorter the time period the fewer the mutations and the accuracy falls. I can't remember the rate at which new mutations arise in the mtDNA but I'd say it is only one or two per thousand years, thus making it difficult to distinguish groups over that time period.

Date: August 21, 2013 07:11PM

Below is my lengthy reply to my friend...his name is withheld for privacy. Thank you all for your help.

XXXX,

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my request. This is a very important issue to the foundational claims of Mormonism, and as we have discussed, if these were not real people, then there is no way the BoM can be “true”, regardless of how it makes people feel.

Below you comment that "I suspect the inability to locate Lamanites is due to the genetic mingling that has occurred over the years." I realize that you are not a scientist, nor do you have any scientific background, but I must tell you that statement is patently false. Whenever we have offspring, the genes of both parents are passed down. It never goes away - ever. To test that fact, you can send a sample of your own DNA to any number of commercial operations and they can send you back a detailed report (for about $150) about where you came from. Here is a commercial website at Ancestry.com that describes the process. http://ldna.ancestry.com/welcome.aspx - With this test you can find out where you came from - who your ancestors were - and from what region of the world they migrated from. So to say that we cannot locate the Lamanites due to genetic mingling is not based in proven scientific fact. More on this later.

You also say in your last e-mail that “However, his conclusion seems plausible to me.” I will explain his “conclusions” to you, to see if it makes sense.

I appreciate the link to the Ugo Perego white paper. I will try to go through his conclusions and explain to you why he is obfuscating the real issues while not even answering them – not to mention that he is being intellectually dishonest.

1) He says that "The Book of Mormon is not a volume about the history and origins of all American Indians. A careful reading of the text clearly indicates that the people described in the Book of Mormon were limited in the recording of their history to events that had religious relevance and that occurred in relatively close proximity to the keepers of the annals"
The last part of that statement is true, however, it has no bearing on the question of genetic origin. Whether a person writes a lot or a little has absolutely nothing to do with his or her DNA. Remember that DNA doesn’t go away just because of what someone writes or omits in their writing. It is passed to the children. These statements are misleading and do not answer the question of Native American DNA and how it relates to the BoM.
Of course the BoM isn't meant to describe ALL of the American Indians, it was meant to describe the history and origin of these "great civilizations" who came to this continent by way of commandment from God. Although the BoM describes a few "great civilizations" (Jaredites, Nephites and Mulekites), we were taught that they were the "principle ancestors of the American Indians". This was in the title page of the BoM until just a few years ago, when it was subtly changed to they are "among the descendants". It was only changed by the church when science proved that there was no way the church could make that claim any longer - notwithstanding all the quotes from past prophets and God Himself proclaiming who these Lamanites really were. If the American Indians are not the descendants of the Lamanites, then where are the Lamanites? The church has taught that the Americas were not inhabited prior to the Jaredites and that this land was saved for Lehi as his land of “inheritance”. There was no one else here.
He goes on to say "The fact that the DNA of Lehi and his party has not been detected in modern Native American populations does not demonstrate that this group of people never existed or that the Book of Mormon cannot be historical in nature. The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.[76] Further, the very idea of locating the genetic signature of Lehi’s family in modern populations constitutes a truly untestable hypothesis since it is not possible to know the nature of their genetic profiles. Without our knowing the genetic signature to be located, any attempt at researching it will unavoidably result in further assumptions and untestable hypotheses. What were the characteristics of Lehi’s DNA and the DNA of those who went along with him? What haplogroup(s) did they belong to? We will never know."

This is really a poor attempt to render science inept by stating that since we don't have Lehi's DNA, there is no way we will ever find out who his descendants are. Below it explains the unapologetic science...by Simon Sutherton (a geneticist) in his book “Loosing a Lost Tribe”

"We Don't Need Lehite DNA, We Need non-Asian DNA
It is nonsensical to claim that because we don't know what the DNA of Lehi's family looks like we cannot possibly find Lehite DNA today. We know that Lehi and Mulek were members of two different Israelite tribes and that they and their families lived in Jerusalem. It is perfectly reasonable to assume that both the Lehites and Mulekites were Israelites, as we are told that in the text of the Book of Mormon, or at the very least closely related to people living in the Middle East. We know a considerable amount about the DNA lineages of living people whose ancestors were Israelites reaching back 2600 years ago. Israelite DNA lineages belong to the same family groups found in European populations: the H, I, J, K, N, T, U, V, W, and X groups. Other Middle Eastern populations such as the Syrians, Egyptians, Lebanese, and other Arabic groups have similar mitochondrial DNA lineages belonging to these families. Essentially all Europeans and Middle Easterners possess one of these lineages.

LDS apologists didn't need ancient Asian DNA to be convinced that American Indians are essentially all descended from Asian ancestors. So why do we need ancient Israelite DNA? John Butler has loudly trumpeted the missing Lehite DNA argument; yet he was persuaded “that almost all Native Americans tested thus far possess genetic signatures closely resembling modern-day Asians”.

One of the attractions of working with DNA is that it carries its own history within its sequence. People who are related to each other carry DNA that shares common spelling changes that have accumulated throughout time. Anthropologists don’t need an ancient DNA sample to confirm relatedness because related DNA lineages by definition share common DNA spelling changes that occurred in their ancestors. Modern populations carry everything we need because these informative DNA spellings are rarely lost over the generations; rather, they are inherited down the generations.

The other obvious problem is that we don't have any Native American DNA lineages that are even candidate Israelite DNA lineages. Those that don't belong to the five lineage families (A to D, X) are derived from Western European or African populations and arrived after Columbus. This is especially true for Mesoamerica, a place where many apologists believe the Book of Mormon was played out. Virtually 100% of Native American DNA lineages are Asian in origin. They belong to large lineage families that have common ancestors with Asian lineages going back about 15,000 years.

Even if Asian lineages miraculously found their way to Israel 3,000 years ago and were picked up by the Lehites, they would be distantly related to the Asian lineages that found their way to the New World over 15,000 years ago. For the same reason contemporary Asian A lineages, for example, are easily distinguished from contemporary Native American A lineages."

Lehi was an Israelite and his DNA (as an Israelite) is detectable. In fact, the BoM claims exactly this:

Alma 10:3 "Lehi, who came out of the land of Jerusalem, who was a descendant of Manasseh, who was the son of Joseph who was sold into Egypt by the hands of his brethren."

1 Ne:5:14 "Lehi, also found upon the plates of brass a genealogy of his fathers; wherefore he knew that he was a descendant of Joseph; yea, even that Joseph who was the son of Jacob"

Mulek was a descendant of royal blood, as son of King Zedekiah, whose genealogy is given in the Bible.

Hel 8:21 "And now will you dispute that Jerusalem was destroyed? Will ye say that the sons of Zedekiah were not slain, all except it were Mulek? Yea, and do ye not behold that the seed of Zedekiah are with us, and they were driven out of the land of Jerusalem? But behold, this is not all"

Hel 6:10 "Mulek, which was after the son of Zedekiah"

Mulek's city Zarahemla was the largest of the Nephite cities.

Mosiah 25:2 "Now there were not so many of the children of Nephi, or so many of those who were descendants of Nephi, as there were of the people of Zarahemla, who was a descendant of Mulek, and those who came with him into the wilderness."

There shouldn't be any question about DNA if you believe what the BoM says.

DNA testing is much more sensitive than it was just two years ago. And even then, it was sensitive enough that we can find the Lemba. They descended and separated from Jews around 600BC (same time as Lehi and Mulek), they mixed with a subcontinent of Africa and yet we can find the small founder moment from their (diluted) Jewish line.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/israel/familylemba.html

Given that the BoM claims that Mulek descended from the Royal Jewish line (king Zedekiah) and founded the largest city (Zarahemla), his alleged DNA is or would be very well known, just as it is with the Lemba. And it is very absent in native Americans.

In the Lemba case, the sensitivity of the DNA tests are so high that they can identify, 2600 years later that the "Buba clan which, in Lemba oral tradition, had a leadership role in bringing the Lemba out of Israel." A single family line among many in a diluted sea of a sub-continent...

2) Another interesting conclusion of Mr. Perego is "An additional caveat is the lack of professional training in population genetics by those promoting a supposed discrepancy between the genetic evidence and the Book of Mormon account. Some of them claim that their conclusions are strongly supported by trained experts who have been consulted for unbiased opinions about this particular matter.[77]This should raise some concerns, though, since it is fairly obvious that most people outside of the circle of Mormonism have very limited knowledge of the Book of Mormon and its contents.
So basically what he is saying here is that unless someone is Mormon and knows of the contents of the BoM, their scientific research is suspect. This is unbelievable. Can you ever imagine making such a statement? It would be like you saying that the archeologists at Yale, where I went to school, that study Mesoamerican ruins do not really know what they are talking about as far as BoM archeology since they do not have knowledge of the BoM or its contents. Unbelievable...I do not understand why someone would have to have a knowledge of the BoM and its contents to make a scientific observation of fact. Do you? To me, this is intellectually dishonest.

3) Mr. Perego then makes a statement that is inconsistent with the BoM text and the Church position for the last 180 years! He states, "To offer a personal anecdote, my scientist colleagues have asked me about DNA evidence and the Book of Mormon on several occasions. I respond with a simple summary in which I explain that the DNA lineages of Lehi’s colony could have been lost due to genetic drift since the number of people involved was probably fairly small compared to the size of the resident Amerindian population."
How could the church possibly allow him to make such a statement without correcting him? Is this a new doctrine? How can he teach something that is counter to what the church and its prophets have taught for 180 years? To quote the BoM itself... The Jaredites came 'into that quarter where there never had man been.' (Ether 2:5) The Nephites likewise came to a land 'kept from all other nations.' (2 Nephi 1:9-11). Not to mention the countless quotes from prophets that are in direct opposition to Mr. Perego's statement. Nowhere in the text of the BoM does it mention that there were others here on this continent contemporaneously with them. Apologists today attempt to say that the Lehites left no trace by claiming they were a small population. But according to Mormon doctrine, they were the ONLY people left after the Jaredites, who were all killed off. Anyone here before the Jaredites, was killed in the Noachian flood. The book of Mormon continually says that the land had been saved for the inheritance of Lehi Family and the Jaredites as a "land of promise". That has been the story from the time of Joseph Smith down to Gordon Hinkley. Then when DNA testing (science) advanced enough to prove there is no way that anyone ever populated the Americas with millions and millions of people...the church has changed its story, and changed its doctrine.

From 2nd Nephi 1:8-9
And behold, it is wisdom that this land should be kept as yet from the knowledge of other nations; for behold, many nations would overrun the land, that there would be no place for an inheritance.
Wherefore, I, Lehi, have obtained a promise, that inasmuch as those whom the Lord God shall bring out of the land of Jerusalem shall keep his commandments, they shall prosper upon the face of this land; and they shall be kept from all other nations, that they may possess this land unto themselves.

4) Lastly, Mr. Perego concludes comparing the Bible and the BoM DNA analysis..." The principles underlying this question can be further extrapolated to other religious scenarios. Can we use DNA to decisively prove that the great biblical patriarchs—Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob—ever existed? What were their own and their descendants’ mtDNA haplotypes? What about the other great Old Testament figures, such as Joseph of Egypt, Moses, and Isaiah? Can we use DNA analysis to prove that Jesus Christ lived? The New Testament mentions that Jesus had brothers and sisters (Matthew 13:55–56; Mark 6:3) through whom Mary’s mtDNA could have been transmitted to future generations (and if not through Mary, perhaps through some of her female relatives). Where is their DNA in today’s population? Would it be acceptable to conclude that these are fictional historical figures and the biblical text a hoax because of the lack of genetic evidence?
The scientific reason why there is no reason to do what he proposes is that Jesus, and the other examples he gives, are all Jewish and all lived in a Jewish area and had Jewish children that remained there. The reason the BoM civilizations are DIFFERENT than the Bible here is that these Jewish people left the Middle East (with their DNA) and then inhabited the American Continent, yet NO Israelite DNA can be found ANYWHERE!

So in the end, his conclusions are not really what they seem at first glance – yet to you, they seem “plausible”. Just because he goes on and on with quantity does not mean that there is any substance to the answers he provided. In fact, I would submit to you that he attempts to marginalize those who question by obfuscating the real answers that he refuses to address.

I still don't understand how God's prophets and God Himself could deceive the church membership and the world by saying that the American Indians are the Lamanites for 180 years - when NONE OF THEM ARE, and have been proven not to be! If the American Indians are not the Lamanites, then where are they? The book was written to them. How can millions and millions of people (their archeology, paintings, buildings, swords etc.) just disappear along with their Israelite DNA? It doesn't make sense! Can you explain that to me? As I said in my last e-mail, if the Lamanites didn't exist, there is no way the church is "true".

So XXXX, my question to you is this...Are you committed to "truth and integrity" regardless of where it leads, or are you committed to the Mormon faith and its apologies - even if they run counter to reason and truth?

I was once like you in that my default position was that the church was true – it was just a matter of finding the right answer from somewhere. The more I researched and the more I read, the more I found that there is no way the church could be what it say it is. Many things are testable. This “Lamanite issue” is one of them.

You and I have discussed a number of major issues over the last few years. How can all of these major issues have no explanation and be counterintuitive?

Will wait to hear your reply…

"When the facts change, I change my mind - what do you do, sir?" - British economist John Maynard Keynes (1883-1946)

Your friend,

Marc

Date: August 22, 2013 07:51AM

Marc, that was a great write up. I enjoy (2) very much because Perego committed a logical fallacy, and in doing so raises our skepticism on the rest of his arguments. You pointed it out very nicely.

On (3) I have had days of email exchange with Brant Gardener (FAIR apologist and one who considers himself an expert on mesoamerican book of mormon studies, having published a multi-volume set on the subject). His argument, in countering your (3) boils down to the meaning of the words "land" and "earth" as used in the BoM. To him, the people had no knowledge of the entire world or the entire N/S American continents. He argues that whenever they say world, land, earth, they mean the known world to them. This, he argues, is tiny and limited in geography. And actually he makes a good point, if it were true. However, it's very clear that Joe Smith et al. created the BoM world in a hemispherical model, with the narrow neck of land between N/S and the mud-house dwellers in one region with the wood/tepee/tent dwelling ones in another region. This mimicks what he would have known in his time about american indians in N and S America.

On (4), I'd like to just re-copy what you wrote: "The scientific reason why there is no reason to do what he proposes is that Jesus, and the other examples he gives, are all Jewish and all lived in a Jewish area and had Jewish children that remained there. The reason the BoM civilizations are DIFFERENT than the Bible here is that these Jewish people left the Middle East (with their DNA) and then inhabited the American Continent, yet NO Israelite DNA can be found ANYWHERE!"

Excellent. That deflates Ugo's argument very nicely.

And your summary of mormon mentality is also excellent: "I was once like you in that my default position was that the church was true – it was just a matter of finding the right answer from somewhere."

Marc, where are you in CO? I gave up the (holy) ghost on my testimony in COS, 11th ward.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2013 07:53AM by Jesus Smith.

Date: August 22, 2013 10:17AM

Jesus Smith Wrote:
> On (3) I have had days of email exchange with
> Brant Gardener (FAIR apologist and one who
> considers himself an expert on mesoamerican book
> of mormon studies, having published a multi-volume
> set on the subject).

Ha, good luck with that. I had several exchanges with him in the MAD-house until I was banned for being mean to ol'Brant (mean as in: having arguments and questions that Brant couldn't counter).

O well...

Date: August 22, 2013 09:19PM

Hey David. I'm in the Nortgate ward. It's west of 83 in a subdivision called Flying Horse.

Date: August 22, 2013 09:20PM

Colorado Springs...

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 11:06AM

Great Thread. I saved it.

Simons book “Losing a Lost Tribe” allowed me see clearly that the LDS apologists must rape the BOM for their apologetics. They must deny what all the LDS Prophets have stated in text, over the pulpit, in Temple dedications and even church programs directly related to the "Lamanite Issue" (Think, Lamanite Generation). These apologists also must deny the supposed power of God to be able to say what he wanted clearly the first time in 'The most correct book' whose translation could not continue unless the word was translated correctly vs. what an apologist may fancy that God was really saying in the BOM.

LDS apologists cannot argue that 'Joseph' meant this or that in the BOM. GOD said all of it.

Perego’s scenario in this thread is exactly the same as what one honest Mormon anthropologist said about LDS apologist Daniel Peterson at FAIR. "He is lying."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.