Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 02:08PM

One of the items I was taught in Seminary and my parents still believe is the Earth was made from different planets and the earth was brought to this solar system (6,000 years ago) which accounts for dinosaurs and other things over 6,000 years old. Does the new TSCC still teach the different planet pieces as doctrine or has it been moved to being a couplet or perhaps more simply as mormon folk lore?

If it is doctrine, any chance Mormons believe there is a large and spacious building in space where planets are being made? Are these new planets moved via Space Ship Tugs that move them to their new solar system? My guess is they would believe the planets are moved by the mind of god similar to how Q (Star Trek) sent the Star ship Enterprise thousands of light years away simply with his mind? Can you imagine someone looking in space and they see this planet flying through space at speeds of over thousands of lights years? My vote would be for the little tug space ship that could. Look ma - a tug boat space ship is hauling a planet to a new solar system. The Mormons are right, we need to join. Perhaps it would be like barges on the Mississippi river with hundreds of planets being towed in a row.

What a stupid religion.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 10:32AM

Mormonism was a UFO religion before UFOs were cool...

Posted by: The Invisible Green Potato ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 10:53AM

I only heard about the idea after I had realised that the earth really was 4.6 billion years old like the scientists say it is. To me it sounded like a last minute change of story that a liar would come up with when confronted with the truth.

To me the idea is scientifically just as ridiculous as a young earth theory. It has no theological basis and it still makes god a liar for making it look like the earth is older than it really is.

The earth from many earths idea seems to work on TBM's who stumble across the truth about young earth theories. It is the final answer TSCC can give before admitting that the prophets were wrong, the earth is old and evolution is true.

I don't believe TSCC has any "official" position on the topic. As long as you pay your tithing you can believe in a young earth, an earth from many earths or an old earth. I believe they will continue to encourage people to believe in a young earth whenever possible. A young earth is what Joseph Smith believed in and is more consistent with doctrine than the other ideas.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 02:48AM

I heard the "recycled earth" theory back in the 60s I believe.
I also heard that millions or even billions of years could have passed between each "day" of creation.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 02:59AM

We didn't deserve a brand new planet? Sky Daddy didn't have the resources for it? There were budget cutbacks?

Posted by: The Invisible Green Potato ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 03:03AM

I had considered the idea that each day was longer than 1000 years. The problem is that each day would need to be a different amount of time. There are no clear boundaries between each day either. Also, the days were in the wrong order. So basically the idea has no merit.

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 03:08AM

Oh wow! That explanation makes more sense than an ancient Earth and evolution.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.