Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: MormonThinker ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 03:14PM

The LDS Church just initiated a program they call 'School of the Prophets' designed for select members in Sweden.
http://mormonthink.com/glossary/school-of-the-prophets-2013-sweden.htm

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: deco ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 03:16PM

Can the Lafferty brothers participate via mail?

Posted by: Surrender Dorothy ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 04:49PM

That's what I thought.

Do TSCC historians or the divinely inspired prophets, even the Lord's anointed mouthpieces, bother to research the names they assign these programs? "School of the Prophets" will forever be associated with Brenda and Erica Lafferty losing their lives at the hands of the Lafferty boys who also believed they were divinely inspired mouthpieces of the Mormon God.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 07:27PM

There was a School of the Prophets at Kirtland. Since Mormons live their lives with blinders on, they probably don't make the connection to either the Lafferty Case, or the association the term has with millions of nevermos who have read "Under The Banner of Heaven" which I still need to read.

Posted by: Surrender Dorothy ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 02:10AM

Yes, I was aware of the Kirtland School of the Prophets, but Kirtland is *not* what I think of when I hear the reference. I realize others' experience may be different, but *I* think of the Lafferty Brothers and their atrocities. It's hard to get the image of a nearly-decapitated toddler out of my head.

Apologies to the OP for the thread derail.

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 03:34PM

Talk about circling the wagons. They're trying to use camouflage covering (i.e., "secrets").

Posted by: brribf ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 03:37PM

this is going to backfire on them... with it going public

just looks like shifty behaviour

you can't make this sh*t up!!!

Posted by: armtothetriangle ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 04:37PM

+1

I wouldn't want to be a missionary in Sweden or anywhere else in Scandinavia, anywhere in Western Europe either. Tscc is on the radar in a negative way.

"Christ-like leadership"? They have no idea what that means. If they did they wouldn't be in this mess.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 03:41PM

They confirm an important business culture consideration.

Dress code. No pants ladies. White shirts gentlemen. This is a solemn, sacred, secret occasion.

* After careful consideration, we recommend that all participants wear Sunday attire, ie, white shirt and tie for the brothers and skirt or dress for the sisters.

Posted by: Senoritalamanita ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 03:55PM

Look carefully and you will see that one of the topics to be discussed at the Training for Future Leaders is called "Return and Report"

In other words, the elite Swedish members will be expected to spy for the Lord -- to squeal on any fellow members who are deemed "less than worthy".

Sick. Sick. Sick.

Cut and pasted from the link provided by mormonthinker:

"Some of the things that will be addressed during the TFL:

Christ-like leadership
Priesthood
Return and Report"

Posted by: Senoritalamanita ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 03:57PM

This little gem about babysitters was a real joke too. It was highlighted in bold type:

"If you for example have to arrange a babysitter, it's necessary that you explain why you need a babysitter. Say, then only that you will attend a training session in Gothenburg. Mention no details."

Date: August 21, 2013 07:29PM

But remember, there are no secrets, because God doesn't work in secrets, just very sacred things that you are not allowed to talk about.

Posted by: wolfsbane ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 04:27PM

Any exmos that could install a hidden camera?

Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 04:37PM

This class also happens in US stakes. If you cannot attend, there is no advancement.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 05:05PM

Ooooohhh, secret, special stuff! Let me in, let me in!

Posted by: britnom ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 05:06PM

this seems too crazy to be true, i find it hard to belive that TSCC would arrange this in sweeden of all places, given the history. from our point of view it seems too good to be true.

are we sure about this????

verify the sources????

Posted by: Leaving ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 05:21PM

"After careful consideration, we recommend that all participants wear Sunday attire, ie, white shirt and tie for the brothers and skirt or dress for the sisters."

Wouldn't it be fun to show up to this meeting wearing shorts and a tank top?

Posted by: spanner ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 05:43PM

according to the note, this was the third such school. Where else do these secret training courses occur? Are they a longstanding thing that has only now leaked in Sweden?

Posted by: sonofman ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 05:50PM

Ha ha when I first read this I thought it was about the schooling of the (modern) prophets by the Swedish doubters at the secret meeting with Jensen.

Posted by: victoria ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 05:58PM

"The Unwritten Order of Things", or rather the minutia we put everyone through for things that don't matter. I think they should rename that one "The Sadducees and The Pharisees Class".

Posted by: MTfounder ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 07:23PM

victoria Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "The Unwritten Order of Things"

Yeah, that's the one I want explained.

Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 06:06PM

I don't read a word of Swedish, but one of the commenters on the Facebook link seems to have likened it to Skull and Bones for Mormons. ;)

And I also want to know why the dress code was only "carefully" considered instead of "prayerfully" considered. It's such a momentous decision.

Posted by: anon 21 ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 07:27PM

Jack Ryan's bird cage. Float a note with a certain phrase for each recipient and see what ends up on the illicit websites. That's how you know who is doing what out there when they don't want to talk. "Visions" Where the leaks are.

Date: August 21, 2013 07:32PM

You mean where you send a few hundred individualized emails or memos, each with an excitable quote, with a slight spelling or punctuation error that reveals who leaked it.

Posted by: fluhist ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 07:40PM

Well, after all we have to shut the swedes up after the Matterson thingey don't we?

Quite brilliant really, make them feel SO special, and of course keep it REALLY secret so that they think its templeish!!

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 09:31PM

Imagine the struggle of the poor corporation trying to live two identities.

We have secrets. We are peculiar and offer milk then meat.

We have no secrets. Any secrets are told to everyone in time, if they are worthy.

We are just a plain regular Christian protestant denomination.

Other churches have less light because of our special secret meaty doctrines.

There are no secret meaty doctrines, just the teachings of Jesus.

Jesus is who we worship

Jesus is not who we worship

We strive to bring people close to the Savior

If you are striving to get closer to Jesus and have a special relationship, you are out of order.

...and so much more, which together with all the laws and ordinances of the gospel constitute the Greatest Story ever told.

Anagrammy

Posted by: Leah ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 10:23PM

The "school of the prophets" comes straight from the masonic teachings.

It's not hard to see where Joseph Smith got/stole some of that stuff.

Posted by: subeam ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 10:31PM

That they invite females to a 'School of the Prophets'. Yes I like that and that a female prayed last general conference. Next give the females the priesthood too.

Posted by: templenameaaron ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 10:44PM

Capgun vs. Cannon guess who shot the capgun ? Dipshits!

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 10:31AM

Will the Saints follow God's instructions for this modern School of the Prophets?

They are given in D&C section 88, including details such as how each person is to be greeted when entering (v 132ff):

"Art thou a brother or brethren? I salute you in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, in token or remembrance of the everlasting covenant, in which covenant I receive you to fellowship, in a determination that is fixed, immovable, and unchangeable, to be your friend and brother through the grace of God to the bonds of love, to walk in all the commandments of God blameless, in thanksgiving forever and ever. Amen."

Seems that God did not provide for greeting the sisters, whether wearing a skirt or not.

Posted by: Bert ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 10:57AM

Hasn't the church run into problems with these types of projects? I'm thinking about Isreal. The Irealis essentially told he boys at corporate to shut down or be removed. Does the church have a bad memory.

The only way. And I'm just speculating here. That the Swede's will allow this is if the boys at corporate are writing nice checks. In other words. Buying some happy.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 11:00AM

Hogwarts would have been a much better name...

Posted by: sonofman ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 11:25AM

After all there is no way to really prove that Voldemort doesn't exist.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.