Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jonathantech ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 09:13PM

I was surprised by the length, intensity, and variety of responses. I knew it would be like this, but I didn't know to what extent. I know that I unearthed some closet ExMormons and exposed the most closed minded of my friends and family. I really reinforced to me that the church is a cult. I saw individuals that I had always respected for what I thought was intelligence reduce themselves to raving lunatics. Others could only repeat the same emotional pleas over and over again.
Few of the devout even approached the claims I made, and even fewer actually had studied to some degree the details of the claims and had placated their doubt's with the excuse that prophets are people to. I was surprised at a few very fanatical outbursts such as "You can post evidence that Joseph Smith murdered babies for all I care. But it still wouldn't affect the knowledge and testimony that I have gained through the spirit." That's very scary to me to think I used to associate with individuals like that. Its no wonder that I felt out of place on my mission and afterwards.
I think the public response also will be telling to anyone that might have been investigating the church what the true colors of the members were. What's also surprising is the lack of response that was directed towards my wife. She had the same post on her wall, but everyone ignored her if they knew me. I presume they attacked me because I am the "man" of the house, our because my family was more hurt by me. Her family took it very calmly and only responded via personal messages.
I think for me it was a very therapeutic process and I feel like I've been able to express myself and shout the truth out to all that I cared about. If there is an afterlife I can at least have a clear conscience that I did my best to let them know the truth. I am not sure if I want to continue in the cause of spreading the word or not long term, but I have a few more things I want to do before I complete my goals of activism for the short term.
Who knew there was such a loud voice hiding in my normally introverted self!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: crom ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 09:37PM

The "unconditional" testimony scared the bejeezus out of me. You could ask those people to strap on bomb. Sure you'd have to work up to it, just like the church worked up to Danites, blood atonement and dragging 14 year old girls to the temple.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2013 09:37PM by crom.

Posted by: subeam ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 09:41PM

Sometimes people respond different to people because they know someone can handle it and some can't. Maybe you appear stronger than your wife so people think you can handle their feedback. Faith is a very personal choice. Many years I choose to believe and to not question or look online for answers. Sorry for your harsh feedback that sucks. Not many people know that husband and I have resigned we are not going public with it because I don't think I could handle my families feedback.

Posted by: crom ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 09:57PM

Both disturbing and absurd.

At what point do TBM's say, "I don't care if the church is false, it's still true."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2013 09:58PM by crom.

Date: August 21, 2013 10:08PM

I've been wondering that myself. I grew up thinking that the prophet should be like Nephi, where the only sins he faltered with were so small that he was basically Christ. I thought as you kept the spirit around you that it would be impossible to sin. How could you sin if you were always surrounded by the spirit?

Posted by: David Jason ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 11:55PM

That's what I told my wife when I came out to her. If God could find Nephi 2000 years ago he could have found someone like him 200 years ago. JS was not a good person.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2013 11:55PM by David Jason.

Posted by: sherlock ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 02:39PM

The fictitious Nephi was hardly a moral character. Someone who kills another man because he hears a voice in his head telling him to, is someone best avoided.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 10:25PM

jonathantech, I admire you going public. I think you will help many people by doing so. Maybe you'll save some kid from having to grow up in such insanity.

I think tscc will really start to hurt in a big way when people who leave have no fear of being open about their decision. You're paving the way IMO, like oncoming storm (bc) and others here. A tip of the hat.

Date: August 21, 2013 11:26PM

WooHOOO!!!!!! Way to go jonathentech!!! I am normally a very in your face type of person, but since my wife isn't on board I am very limited. I love her enough to shut my mouth, but damn it's hard!!!!

Give it too them!!! If you know the truth share it!!! Do what is right let the consequences follow!!!! Stand for truth even if you're standing alone!!!

I wish you could screen print the stuff and black out the names and pictures!! That would be awesome, put it in a blog, set up a journal on your awesome way out!!

The blind faith scares the hell out of me too!!! If the prophet told people to jump off a building because the 2nd coming is tomorrow. There would probably be hundreds of thousands of dead people littering the streets. If he said to kill apostates, we would be dead. Zombies are scary!!!!

Think of the people that you are causing to think, the ones that aren't responding are the ones that are listening to you. Remain nice, calm, and collected as much as possible. Mormons and some Non-Mormons will jump all over you for it. Proof read stuff.

Try some infographs. I feel like those would make a better impact for someone scrolling their facebook feed!!

How many friends have you lost?

Keep it up dude!!! I'm living through you!!!!

Date: August 21, 2013 11:36PM

I've been considering copying all this down for later use. I never did understand forgive and forget, I learn to much from my life lessons to forget. If I decide to continue activism I will probably post their responses on a blog.

Date: August 21, 2013 11:50PM

I have a hard time finding old threads on facebook. I would screen print it even if just to keep it for yourself.

We study history to prevent repeating the bad stuff. We should never forget.

Keep it up. I love the updates.

Posted by: eternal1 ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 02:27PM

I was just reading this quote and it reminded me of your thread...even Joe Smith preached against blind faith.

BTW, when I posted this on my FB page, it was taken as an "anti-mormon" thing by TBM's even though Smith said it. LOL

"We have heard men who hold the priesthood remark that they would do anything they were told to do by those who preside over them -- even if they knew it was wrong. But such obedience as this is worse than folly to us. It is slavery in the extreme. The man who would thus willingly degrade himself should not claim a rank among intelligent beings until he turns from his folly.
"A man of God would despise this idea. Others, in the extreme exercise of their almighty authority have taught that such obedience was necessary, and that no matter what the Saints were told to do by their presidents, they should do it without any questions.
"When Elders [leaders] of Israel will so far indulge in these extreme notions of obedience as to teach them to the people, it is generally because they [the leaders] have it in their hearts to do wrong themselves."

-- Joseph Smith, Jr.
Millenial Star, Archive Volume 14, Number 38, Pages 593-595

Date: August 22, 2013 02:30PM

Wow, hard to know who's a witch when your on a witch hunt, LoL

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 02:34PM

He was accused of being a dictator. He had to have statements like that in print. This is why he destroyed the Nauvoo Expositor. If it is in print it MUST be true.

Date: August 22, 2013 02:40PM

I believe Brigham Young said something similar. They probably even believe it to some extent, the rule simply doesn't apply to them. Don't blindly follow others, but you should blindly follow me.

Posted by: tmac ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 03:40PM

Good for you for going public! I have not said anything on Facebook so except for family and a few friends, no one knows. My TBM family doesn't even talk about my leaving TSCC. I am Facebook friends with some of the missionaries who worked with my husband when he converted and ran the branch in his home city and he hasn't wanted to say anything. I am converting to Catholicism and planning on being baptized next year at Easter. I am thinking about going public with my new faith at that time. I've got time to decide though!

Posted by: sonofman ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 08:20PM

I have thought of making a short announcement on facebook. I don't want to create drama, but I just want people to know so I can do things like drink tea or coffee or miss church around people who know me and not have to explain it. Also to make it clear that I am not wavering and don't want to be loved back into the church but would like to be respected for who I am.

It seems like it can get pretty rough.

I have thought of posting so that only adult friends can see. . .

Posted by: sonofman ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 08:21PM

Good on you for being courageous.

Posted by: spanner ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 09:27PM

Someone actually said they didn't care if Joseph Smith murdered babies?

Cripes.

Anyway (sorry if this is a derail), that reminded me of the time Joseph Smith murdered a baby..

Some notarized/witnessed statements:

...The Mormons announced that on a certain
day, at the house of my husband's
uncle, Isaac Morley, they would raise
the dead. Joseph, the prophet, made
protracted efforts to restore to
consciousness a child to whom they
had administered a soporific, but the
scheme failed because they had given
an overdose, and the child died. ...
[Signed] MRS. S. W. HANSON.
Witnessed by:
A. C. WILLIAMS.
Columbus, O., Feb. 23, 1885.

...I have often heard my wife and her parents
tell about Joseph, the prophet,
attempting to restore to consciousness
their child which they claimed had
been drugged. The child was buried....
[Signed] JAMES THOMPSON.
Witnessed by:
H. M. MCFARLAND, Jr.
Sworn and subscribed before me this 7th day
of February, 1885.

...I went to Isaac
Morley's to see the dead child raised
to life. I stayed till late in the
afternoon without being gratified. I
never saw so many people together
before....
[Signed] JOEL MILLER.
Witnessed by:
A. B. DEMING.
Sworn to and subscribed before me,
this 29th day of March, 1885.
A. P. BARBER,
Justice of the Peace in and for
Willoughby, Lake County, Ohio.

...It was announced that
on a certain Sunday in the summer of
1832, they would heal the sick and
lame and revive the dead. Thousands
came, many from a distance. I
attended, and heard Rigdon say there
would be no preaching to-day. He
dismissed an audience of several
thousand on the hill back of the
house, who were greatly disappointed
and expressed much indignation. I
then went to see the dead child in the
house now occupied by Mrs. Carroll. It
was lying on a bed. I felt of its face and
hands which were warm and pliable.
I thought it was under the influence of
opium. It did not breathe. It was about
two years old and belonged to Mr.
Gould, who had lately come from the
East. I heard it was buried the
following Wednesday....
Kirtland, Dec. 16, 1884.
[Signed] Reuben P. Harmon,
Witnessed by: A. B. Deming
Granville Harmon (son)"

These statements are from

Naked Truths About Mormonism,
Vol. I. No. 1. (January, 1888)
edited by Arthur B. Deming
http://www.solomonspalding.com/docs/deming.txt

Date: August 22, 2013 09:40PM

I wonder if the individual already had heard about this, holy crap. I already had a low place in my mind for Jo Smith, but this just puts him lower, not that I'm surprised =-O

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 11:22PM

In the book "1984" Winston is asked if he would throw acid in a baby's face for the cause.

I was reminded of that by the Mormon who said, "You can post evidence that Joseph Smith murdered babies, for all I care."

It's a sickness.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.