Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Tristan ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 10:55PM

It's abusive & wrong for adult to be subjected to this as well.

I know we are just focusing on the kids kids right now, but adults have also been through hell because of this line of questioning.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jonathantech ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 10:58PM

I really can't wait for the black eye this will give the church. Change is always good, they will probably have to change it so you don't need to confess anything to a bishop.

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 02:30AM

I agree.

I live in a college town and LDS bishops has been harassing the twenty-something aged college kids about everything and anything sexual.

Bishops are mentally & emotionally abusive to them in personal interviews and then they dis their non-mormon friends by telling them not to hang out with them.

For example, what a bishop said to my daughter's roommate during a personal interview, "It must be really challenging to have roommates who are not LDS and do not live LDS gospel standards. Have you considered living with mormon girls?"
The bishop knows absolutely NOTHING about the non-mormon roommates, but he feels free to judge them.

Just another kind of cruel nasty bullying from the Mormon Church and its minions.

Posted by: No moos ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 04:17AM

People shouldn't be subject to these interviews AT ALL, let alone the sexual questions...

Posted by: Tristan ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 04:22AM

Of course the Morgbots will say, "If we don't ask, then how will be know who's worthy or not?" Except, people lie all the time in these "worthiness" interviews, even when they haven't done anything truly wrong, just so they won't be punished by TSCC.

Posted by: burnned ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 09:44AM

I thought they were supposed to be "inspired" !? (LOL) They don't NEED interviews at all if they were Actually "Inspired"!.. The thing I don't get is Why the people being asked these questions actually feel they Have to Answer them at all. And these are grown adults I'm talking about here. What makes any guy (not a priest in my book) think they even have the right to ask such intrusive questions!!!! it's complete bullshit BTW Tristan & Isolde... love that movie.

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 04:30AM

I was a convert, single woman in my 20's. I avoided interviews at all cost and never went to a bishop to confess anything ever. Never went for a temple recommend and never went to a tithing settlement. I felt it was none of the church's business especially when the men in the bishopric worked in the same industry I did. I didn't last long in the church.

Posted by: truthseeker ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 05:03AM

Just curious--did you leave voluntarily, or did they ex you for avoiding interviews, confessing, tithing settlement, etc.?

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 05:43PM

I just went inactive and then several years later, I resigned. They really aren't interested in single woman. They wanted families to convert. Also, the bishop I knew moved to Utah, and I never met any others.

Posted by: samuellflyinghorse ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 11:22AM

All my life I been good but I get embarassed just thinking how much of a TBM I once was.
But still these probing intrusive question posed to me during my youth always bothered me.
And it was decades later during a surprise meeting with local Alaskan branch presidencya few short years ago, that drove me away from Moronism for good.
Cos the intrusive questions were leading into giving me a calling and me living 60+ miles away had no business running to church and related callings several times during the week, so I stopped the interview and walked out.
A few years later on THEN I knew a couple of women, THEN I started to drink & smoke.
I agree that adults shouldn't be asked these same abusive questions. Some of us were born into such dysfunctional home / town / cultural environments that we decided NOT to do or be the kind of person that you needed to ask on a weekly basis are you clean?, are you worthy?
fucking cult!!
-Sam!!-

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 11:27AM

I actually think the real reason they switched adult interviews to every two years is because they have seen this coming. There should only be one question, "Do you feel worthy?" Then again, there shouldn't even be temples, or even a Mormon church, but that is beside the point.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 12:20PM

This is why I decline invitations to interviews.

Posted by: lurker below ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 12:59PM

I was appalled to read a story where a woman was asked if she was sexually active with her husband and told she was the problem in their marriage because the sex life wasn't good. How common is that? For some reason I was naive enough to believe that the inappropriate questions stopped when you got married. I hated these interviews as a child. I never did have one of these interviews as an adult since I bounced from the church late teens early 20's.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 01:06PM

What bugs me is that you know TBMs would say that the only ones who object to these interviews are those who have something to hide. If you aren't doing anything wrong, then what's the problem with a bishop asking?

No sense of boundaries or appropriate behavior whatsoever. It's wrong because it's not anyone's business.

Posted by: anon 4 this ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 06:32PM

I was a convert to the church at 16, then went to BYU. Those interviews destroyed my self esteem, nearly wrecked my education.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.