Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 11:44PM

So I read the meeting transcript and this Richard Turley character seems like he would be better suited as an Amway distributor. As he is winding up, he mentions that he is not in this for the money. He could be out in the private sector practicing law, but he is making the sacrifice to be assistant to the regional manager of church history. He really lost hope of gaining credibility when he talks about his monetary sacrifice to peddle these fictional wares he calls history. This has been bothering me for a week or so. I'm reminded of all the other MLMs out there where people share their testimonkeys about a product of as much value as tscc.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: David Jason ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 11:53PM

He was asked to do it by some GA that pressured him into it.

I had BYUI professors use this line all the time. I could be making way more in the corporate world. They probably could have been, but some person told them they should be a professor, so the guilt built up and they did it.

Posted by: ishmael ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 12:02AM

It is also a logical fallacy, the appeal to authority. Something along the lines of I am smart. I am an authority. I have degrees and could be out there making a great living and instead I am here bringing this product to you. Be smart like me and pay, pray, and obey.

And the notso subtle subtext is: Look, I am taking a big hit for this team--and you can too.

Proximity gives it a whole new meaning to Stockholm Syndrome.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 12:06AM

Speaking as a person that deals with real business, owning a couple of businesses in the real world, I had a lot of college professors that would fizzle in a spectacular fashion if they had to actually handle business.

Both my parents were teachers, my father a PhD college professor.

Had he been in the real world, with deadlines, goals, and sales quotas, I am not quite sure he would have been able to handle it.

Fortunately in our society, there are niches that people hopefully fit into.

As far as the senior management of LDS Inc, we do not know what they make. My guess is that they are like many CEOs that are paid a base salary (what they call a stipend) and then stock options and bonuses on top of that-where the real money is.

We know LDS Inc makes loans they anticipate and do forgive.

LDS Inc claims modest wages, however, they are deceptive in everything they do. Not to mention that the real moneymakers of LDS Inc are prolly not the management we know about, but the behind the scenes guys contracting with LDS Inc and also embezzling from them.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.