Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: janedoePI ( )
Date: August 21, 2013 11:58PM

a feature article in a prominent publication on the public church exit (and reasons) of a former NFL player of significant noteriety on and off the field...I will give only one more hint, he is distantly realted to Brigham...But i am not gonna say anymore are someone might figure it out.

..anyway that's what I heard from my mailman...and they know everything!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: David Jason ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 12:00AM

Don't do this to me. If this were true it would mean national headlines! He's one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time!

Don't play!

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 12:08AM

I do not think LDS Inc could ignore this and hope it goes away.

If they vilify and demonize this guy, it will make them look horrible in the eyes of the public. He has a beloved reputation with a lot of people.

His speaking engagement with the LGBT community should have been a warning shot to LDS Inc.

http://blogs.kqed.org/newsfix/2013/08/16/107187/Steve-Young-Mormon-gay-convention

Mr. Y is incredibly wealthy, he is a private equity finance guy.

This could be very big.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2013 12:09AM by deco.

Posted by: jonathantech ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 12:09AM

I would love this. I think he is one of my mom's icons.

Posted by: upsidedown ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 12:18AM

Boom!!!

Awesomeness if it happens.

Posted by: jonathantech ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 12:22AM

What would be better is if they excommunicate him for speaking out against the churches position on gays

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 01:36AM

Disagree.
IMO, if he leaves voluntarily, it'll encourage others to consider doing it, too. If they kick him out, he'll be written off by TBMs as having become a "sinner."

Posted by: justbnme ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 12:33AM

this would be SOOOOOO huge.

The last vestige of my mo-ism is BYU football tickets. I can't wait to go to games if this is actually true. I'm going to go buy a Steve Young #8 Jersey and wear it to every home game, if it is!!!!

Posted by: exdrymo ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 12:33AM

Are you saying the Catholics got to Manti Teo?

;-)

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 12:48AM

Man, does this mean I have to start liking Steve Young? Because I was at BYU with him and my roommate ran with him and his crowd. Lets just say, I got enough inside info to prefer other Mormon celebrities to him, and the Oakland Raiders to the 49ers. I also was going to the singles' dances near the Bay Area in the years he was, believe it or not, involved with the Bay Area LDS singles scene. If he were to publicly leave Mormonism, or even speak against it, if only to support equal rights, I'd have to start liking him. I may even have to (gasp) admit I was wrong about him. It doesn't bear thinking about but I guess I can suffer for the good of humanity. :) lol.

Posted by: quebec ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 11:45AM

Quote: "I may even have to (gasp) admit I was wrong about him."

The him today may not be the him of when you knew him.
Some people do change with time. Life can transform people.

In any case, yeah, you will have to start liking him ... ;-)
jk

Posted by: morganizedreligion ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 12:56AM

This would make my day!! The FIL would go batsh*t crazy as he is a major BYU fan! This would give major validation to mine and hubby's recent exit. October needs to get here already...

Posted by: utahstateagnostics ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 01:19AM

I really want to believe this. This would be so awesome. But the skeptic in me wants references and more info.

Posted by: DishyDoodle ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 11:37AM

+1

Posted by: lucky ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 01:26AM

Steve Young would be much more accurately described as a direct descendant of BY than a distant relative.

I would be really surprised if SY formally abandons the MORmON church. He's a career minded man. Being involved with the media, there was something substantial to be gained by being a supporter of equal rights. There is far less to be gained, because the world does not care much about MORmON membership, certainly not the way that MORmONS do, and much more to be lost by formally parting company with LDS INC.

Posted by: GQ Cannonball ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 02:00AM

Yeah, and Steve Martin was baptized. I will believe it when I see it.

Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 02:09AM

Mid-September:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/56728340-78/lgbt-affirmation-mormons-conference.html.csp

Based on the tone and text of their presentation, I think we'll be able to glean a lot more regarding any future actions.

Until then, I'm taking the word of a first-time poster's mailman with a big, ol' chunk of salt.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2013 02:11AM by Fetal Deity.

Posted by: Surrender Dorothy ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 06:52AM

+1

A brand new poster's one and only post vaguely hints that a relative of BY is jumping ship and the leap is made that it's Steve Young?

Maybe it's a legitimate post or maybe it's the likes of the 80ish-year old gramps who left the church after a lifetime of activity or Stormy who are trying out some new eff-with-RfM material.

Posted by: homoerectus ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 02:27AM

So, ummm...all we know Steve Young could already be a poster on RFM?

Posted by: 7 ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 02:44AM

I have no reason to believe that Steve Young is going to leave the church. He's pretty deeply involved.

The point I wanted to raise is that maybe the church wouldn't object to his staking out a pro-gay position. As I see things, we are in about 1977 right now. The church knows it got its butt kicked and is looking for ways to change its public image.

So if Young comes out in favor of marriage equality and gays in general but is gentle in his comments on the church itself, maybe the net effect is to show the world that there is diversity of opinion in Mormonism. He could make the church look better, more modern, more loving. If his statements make some Mormons rethink their prejudices, he might even make it easier for Salt Lake to edge towards changing its policies. Steve Young could be a big step in pushing Prop 8 into the I-don't-know-that-we-teach-that dustbin of history.

Is it too cynical to wonder if Young has tacit approval from the church to do this?

Posted by: anon21 ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 09:37AM

Steve Young and his wife came out about prop 8. Her brother is gay. They were for marriage equality a long time ago and gave tons of money. The church did nothing to him. He has no reason to leave.

Posted by: sherlock ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 02:56AM

Some people are far too easily duped by unsubstantiated comments from anonymous posters.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 04:56AM

I'm from Missouri.

Posted by: templenameaaron ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 11:30AM

show me!

Posted by: Joy ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 04:56AM

I agree with 7. We used to live in Steve Young's neighborhood in Palo Alto, and back in those days, people accused him of being gay. He did have gay friends.

Maybe manly Steve Young is the perfect Mormon representative for reactivating gays, and getting their tithing money. The reason I think this, is that Mormons never do anything spontaneously! Never. Whatever they set out to do, it is a pre-planned scheme, with PR, advertising, meetings, First Presidency letters, and numbers reports associated with it.

It is a scheme, if it involves Steve Young.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 09:19AM

Posted by: WakingUpVegas ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 11:47AM

Whether he actually leaves the church or not, I think it's at least pretty cool of him to speak at the Gay Mormon event. It's a move in the right direction.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 11:58AM

janedoePI why aren't making any further comments? It looks like this is your FIRST post on RFM. Or are you posting under different names for sake of anonymity? Are you trolling us?

Why haven't we heard from you before?

I'm highly skeptical. The story sounds too good to be true. Lets not all get too exciting here and start a Steve Young rumor mill.

Posted by: Agate ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 12:38PM

Do you think a single celebrity, no matter how big could possible shake up the church? It would so easy to say that his celebrity status led him astray. Wouldn't it be more effective if a GA defected?

Posted by: misterzelph ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 12:52PM

Ex-cult Member is the voice of reason. Big time news from a first time poster. I say we all remain calm and take a wait and see approach. Often, we here as former mo's accuse TBM's of believing things just because they are inspirational and make them feel good without using their brains and researching the facts/evidence. Let's not fall into the same trap! A few sentences from someone that nobody knows isn't enough to start me jumping up and down.

Posted by: 7 ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 03:33PM

Steve Young did not oppose Prop 8. His wife Barbara did, and she's the one who put the anti-8 signs up in their yard. In fact, at the end of the campaign and just before the vote, Steve Young gave an interview in which he said opinions in his home were divided and that he supported the brethren in Salt Lake City.

The interview sounded a bit awkward. Steve is an awkward man in some respects, not socially skilled. But it sounded from his tone of voice that he had been pressured by someone to make it clear, publicly, that he did not oppose the church and its policy.

Having said that, I don't think that Steve's decision to support Affirmation and gay rights in general indicates a conspiracy. I doubt anyone in SLC would give him instructions to speak in favor of marriage equality because I suspect the Quorum is divided. When there is no consensus, no one dares start a radically new policy.

But for Young, things have probably changed a lot. I imagine he was always sympathetic to gays and Lesbians because he is, at heart, a decent human being. He probably had trouble with Barbara's in-your-face attitude because it made things difficult for him and his family. But with the passage of time, he probably realized that this really is a big moral issue and that it's not worth being on the wrong side. Also, now that Marriott has again shown himself to be the gays' best friend, and now that the church has its own (pretend) gay-friendly website, no one in the COB is likely to get infuriated if he speaks in favor of equality so long as he does not directly attack the church. So I think he's no longer under intense pressure to conform and that he probably has less patience for whatever pressure he still feels. He's just correcting a personal mistake.

Once he's done so, the liberals (such as they are) in the Quorum will probably say to the conservatives, "Look. Loyal Elder Young is right there with the American mainstream. He's right. We've got to tone down the homophobia." That's how change from within happens. I think it is too little, too late; and that Steve should not feel good about what he did just before the election. But he may make a tiny bit of difference here not only for gays and Lesbians but even for the dinosaurs in the quorum.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 03:43PM

10 years from now LDS Inc, if still in existence, will claim they ALWAYS loved their LGBT brothers and sisters, and was at the forefront of recognizing the rights of these people.

Any response will be met with "I don't know that we teach that" and an "aw shucks, I don't know why god waited" on anything regarding history.

All LDS sources will be whitewashed, and quietly edited electronically, or removed from libraries.

This will happen not because of public pressure, but rather when they determine that two men in a relationship make far more money than a SAHM in a conventional marriage in deep debt.

When LDS Inc finds an angle to profit from this, the revelation will come, and there will be gay marriages performed in LDS temples.

They will claim to be the most progressive of all the 'christian' churches.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.