Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 02:40AM

Apparently he doesn't know what a creepy religion Mormonism is.
I love James Taylor.
https://www.lds.org/church/events/artist-james-taylor-to-perform-with-tabernacle-choir?lang=eng

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: August 22, 2013 02:57AM

His home page calendar links directly to the CULT LDS indoctrination page with the link LDS conference center.
http://www.jamestaylor.com/tour/
Barf

Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 03:09AM

It won't be too long before big stars are boycotting the Mormon church (and other religions, as well) for its anti-marriage-equality stance.

Posted by: kj ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 09:53AM

FREE? And I'm not sure why it's not in the tabernacle....with the famous organ.....

Is the conference center a good venue?

Poor Baby James .... He's thinking music not doctrine.

And he's not touring right now, so I guess he needs the "work".
Wonder if he is paid.

KJ/AnonyMs

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 11:27AM

JT's website has a radio button to "Buy Tickets" but the tickets are free. I too wonder if he is being paid.

My perception of JT is that he is a very principled man, even more so as he has aged. I doubt he knows too much of the troubled doctrines and history of the church. If he did, maybe he would not perform.

The MoTab is a famous entity and perhaps he even has a few LDS friends that have asked him to do it for years and years. It would be interesting to hear the background.

In fact, when he performs he usually holds a conversation with the audience throughout the evening. I bet he describes how the show came to be in detail.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 05:46PM

Damn right they're paying him nicely. No doubt. Poor guy has to suffer through singing with the mormon choir, but I'm thinking he'll like the symphony. The question is did they pay him extra NOT to sing certain songs or say certain words.

Sleeping through one of his concerts? Ya, he's a musician, not an entertainer. If you want costumes and jumping around, try Wayne Newton or Mick Jagger, etc. If you like a musician who sings with with insane pitch, you're in luck. But the poor bastard has to sing with a flock of hobbyists. Why should he give a rat's ass who is putting on the show. He's a musician.

Posted by: deco ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 09:56AM

I bet they are paying him a ton of money. We will never know.

Wonder if they will make him get a haircut.

Posted by: serena ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 05:28PM

From what I know of JT, I'm astounded and appalled that he's doing this.

Posted by: Exmosis ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 01:26AM

So who's going to let him know what a whacky cult it is?

Posted by: Good Witch ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 10:15AM

Yes, unfortunately, he is thinking music as opposed to doctrine. I have to give props where it's due... The MoTab gives good music.

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 10:18AM

Do I hear 'Steamroller Blues'?

He swears during the recorded live version...

Maybe Gladys talked him into it?

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 02:07PM

You beat me to it, that was my first thought too!

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 01:31AM

I agree.

Posted by: JT Fan ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 12:43PM

This site proves that there is nothing so hateful than an ex anything.

Date: August 28, 2013 03:34PM

So...are you flying your true Cult Colors today?
Even Sweet Baby James admits to being an ex-addict.

Posted by: xnorth ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 10:30AM

My parents are going and they are soooo excited. They love James Taylor. And MoTab.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 10:52AM

when I read the Headline, I thought:

O NO! JT is joining the Cult!

see, it could have been WORSE!

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 02:10PM

Aw damn... I hope he gets wise. JT is one of my all-time favorite singers.

Posted by: Dave in Hollywood ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 02:47PM

I think this one is actually worse. Sutton is a Broadway icon and literally depends on her gay fans to support her in her endeavors. I wonder if she knows how anti-gay BYU is?

Posted by: nonni ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 03:00PM

I love James taylor.
I went and saw him in concert.
It was by far the most boring concert i've ever been to.

He walked on stage with a folding chair and a guitar. Sat there and played and sang us all to sleep. The end.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 04:50PM

I've seen him twice. He was more entertaining the second time. But I will say that I found his brother, Livingston, a lot more fun to watch live. It was in a small venue-- The Birchmere-- in Alexandria, Virginia. Liv was very personable and approachable. He took requests, played piano and guitar, and was just really cool.

I love James Taylor and have enjoyed his concerts-- even though the last one featured drunk middle aged women standing in front of us who practically had orgasms every time he opened his mouth. But I think his brother's show is more bang for the buck...

The most boring concert I've ever been to was Eric Clapton's, though Clapton did have the good sense to have Robert Randolph and the Family Band open for him. They blew Clapton's doors off, though. He was a pretty pale follow up to their show.

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 05:58PM

James Taylor is great! I play guitar weekly with my small band and several songs in our repertoire include JT. My brother liked his stuff as a kid and he's now with the MoTab. I bet he's ecstatic.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 12:13AM

I've always loved his music but...Wow...a divorced bleeding heart Liberal tree hugger gonna sing with the TC...bizarre...

Ron Burr

Posted by: MOI ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 12:54AM

Better the TC than some damn moslem choir.

Posted by: lucky ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 01:21AM

...... maybe JT should ask the GOP about the down side of getting hooked up with MORmONS.......

Posted by: Joy ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 03:13AM

I might go, if the MoTab weren't singing. I hate the sound of them--too muddy--too many voices--older voices--everything drags--depressing--they dress ugly. My estimation of JT as a musician just hit rock-bottom.

Posted by: lucky ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 03:38AM

The MORmON tabernacle choir sounds pretty good ......until a person listens to a REAL choir with real talent and ability, then suddenly Mo Tab does not sound so good.

OK OK, Mo Tab never sounded very good.

Posted by: a nonny mouse ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 10:07AM

The MoTab is just a PR tool for the church, and really, also for any of the artists they invite to sing with them. Audra McDonald has also performed with the MoTab, and she is a vocal and passionate supporter of marriage equality for LGBT people. I wouldn't draw any conclusions about any connections in ideology between invited artists and the MoTab, just that they are both seeking a wider audience.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.