Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anon Heretic ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 05:57AM

I know that this question has probably been brought up at least 100 times on this board, but this is an important issue for me and I need an answer.

I'm currently in a situation where I cannot, as of yet, leave TSCC but don't want them to have another dime of my $$$. I've already followed the advise found on Mormonthink to pay directly to TSCC and have it all set up.

What I need to know is how much $$$ must I spend for TSCC to send the "he has paid tithing" note to my bishop. And, is there any way I can be tracked down on this? Does anyone have any experience with this system?

Your insight and advise are VEEEEERY appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: QWE ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 06:43AM

Not certain, however, it's common for parents to give their children a small amount of pocket money each month. When I was a kid, I used to pay £1 tithing, and that got accepted lol. So the church can accept very little as a "full tithe payer". However, it may be different in your situation, since you're paying directly to them, and also because you're an adult.

I'm sure you've probably thought of this, but there is the option of simply not paying at all. The only main advantages I can think of for paying tithing are that you get better callings, and that you can go to the temple. I assume you don't care about the callings you get anymore. I was once in your shoes, so I understand the pressure to go the temple, and people start asking questions if you don't go, but I don't know, for the money you'd save, maybe it's worth putting up with the questions. Mormons tend to be very passive aggressive anyway, so they're never going to talk to you directly about it, at most you'll get subtle comments like "We missed you at the temple trip last week". Family members might be more direct, but you might still be able to make excuses so that you don't have to go.

I don't know your full situation though, so I appreciate it might be more complicated for you.

Posted by: Brethren,adieu ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 11:23AM

Speaking scripturally, you are only required to pay tithing annually, ie, once a year. Tithing settlement is at the end of the year. Even then, you don't have to attend tithing settlement. So, unless you need to attend the temple for a wedding or like having really busy leadership callings, I wouldn't worry about paying tithing.
If you feel you must, send in whatever you want. I imagine you could send in $1.00 and the bishop would still get a note saying you sent in a contribution.

Posted by: subeam ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 11:58AM

My mom pays tithing to TCC directly and her bishop doesn't know how much she pays. He asks her if she is a full tithe payer and she says yes and that is it.
My guess it an automatic $10 per month would do it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.