Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 12:55PM

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/21/atheists-lawsuit-irs_n_3792145.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000009

This subject comes up occasionally. The Mormon church first and foremost is a for profit corporation with tax-exempt status. There are posters who dismiss without explanation an effort to challenge this exempt status.

I posted this to respond. Your dismissive posts are just cynical and are unfounded. The timing for success may not be soon, but maybe that is because the fight against abusing tax-exempt status has had to be started by others willing to fight later than was necessary.

The LDS Church should have their tax exempt status challenged, their books examined and their financial charitable contributions validated as worth of the massive subsidies provided them by much larger populations they politically and socially seek to damage (atheists, Catholics, homosexuals, women).

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f13909.pdf

I am attaching a form that can be filled out for those that want to report a possible violation of this law to the IRS. There are multiple ways to send this to the IRS--I also recommend sending this to friends in California, management of Prop 8 was clearly a violation. We also heard from a few infrequent poster that El Paso County elections clerk in Colorado Springs used church buildings, members, and resources to organize a Republican voter registration drive and have evidence on video of Victoria Bautista in front of a Safeway registering only Republicans for her Mormon leader. That's a violation worthy of reporting and investigation. They are doing the violating, we just need to report them and ask our government to stop them. It won't be easy, doing nothing is easier, saying it won't work is easier, but it it worth doing what you can.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2013 01:22PM by gentlestrength.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rt ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 02:16PM

Let me dismiss this with the following explanation: church and state have a shared interest in controlling the strongest bond between human beings, i.e. family ties.

As long as they can scratch eachothers' backs in this regard, they will continue to work together like they have, at least in western society, for several hundred years now (the Catholic church wrote the book on this one).

Now, who did you say was a Ranking Minority Member of the Senate Committee on Finance again...?

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 02:19PM

Hatch, and he is an evil little nit.

You make a practical statement that is right in my opinion, but at the same time perhaps it is fatalistic. Ultimately power wins, but can power be shaped and adapted from the pressure of the masses? I think this is possible too. Hopefully those who are in the audience will enjoy the show and give favorable reviews.

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 02:29PM

Yes, I do think this is possible. However, it is practically impossible within the context of our current western society. Far more needs to change to bring this about.

And I wouldn't be surprised if the state, rather than religion, would bite the dust in the process. I am reminded of the Islamic Caliphate of the Middle Ages, where politics was considered the indecent occupation of kings and other riff-raff and consequently took place outside the realm of everyday life.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2013 02:30PM by rt.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.