Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: not now ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 01:39PM

I am doing a slow burn. Where does mormon shunning end?
It seems the kids I new in HS, who were raised mormon, but not living it at the time. You know, the kids who were having sex rampantly. Then, switching girlfriends when tired of theirs. I watched this and was shunned and not included as a friend when I was molly mormon.

Now, years later, many of them have temples on their facebook pages and consider themselves molly mos and peter priesthoods.

And now, I have been blocked by several of them as I no longer believe in their cult!

It's unbelievable! These were the people who, after the prom, found my steady boyfriend a second date who would make out with him, after taking me home. They helped the man I was going to marry...cheat on me! Lovely! The cruel things they did then make it hard for me to take their glowing "mormonism" seriously now! But, to be blocked by the same idiots because I no longer believe???? Come on! Idiots all around!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 01:49PM

I can't address your personal concerns to their hypocrisy.

I will say this that in the mission field and it would seem Mormon Utah social situations, this seems to be a case of integrity.

So wear it as a badge of honor.

Your tried to live Mormonism when you thought it was True. Now you have separated from it when you found it to be a fraud.

You seem consistent. What about them?

They seem consistent too. Don't take it seriously in high school, don't take it seriously as adults. They show the symbols of Mormonism for social acceptance or other reasons, but at a time and age when they should easily be able to see the fraud are now invested somehow.

What I think is a worthy and achievable objective is to get Mormons to admit they don't value Truth as much as Myth and that they are comfortable justifying their faith in conflict with knowledge because it meets their emotional and social needs.

The shunning is another matter, hopefully you'll find your new associations rewarding.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 02:05PM

I did have one friend from hs whose MIL didn't even want her to marry her son because of all the stuff she'd heard about this girl. Her son wasn't any better. He was made a bishop some years back. I told my mother if I hadn't already left the church, that would have been the final straw.

MOST of my cousins sowed their wild oats for YEARS. Now all but a few of them also post mormon stuff on their fb pages. I have one cousin who was married 6 or 7 times--got his high school girlfriend pregnant and had to marry her and then got sealed in the temple to his current wife in his 60s. (Goes to show you it was 1960s when he got his girlfriend pregnant.)

They get up at family reunions and bear their testimony. Me--I was like you--a MOLLY MO. Now I'm the "sinner." It turns my stomach to listen to them.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.