Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: oncewasblind ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 05:42PM

For me Im thankful for the almighty GOOGLE that has changed my life from a blind TBM to now a happy and free pperson. Im also thankful to know that religion is nothing but a man made corrupt organization.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lenina ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 06:20PM

Every day I bask in my simple but profound blessings! And I no longer need to feel obligated to feel grateful for the scriptures, the church, etc. Like you I am grateful for the limitless information on the internet that is bringing truth (and weirdness but we'll work through it) to the world.

Posted by: Lmn8h8 ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 06:48PM

So many things, but I am grateful that I left the church while young, thereby avoiding decades of tithing, mental gymnastics, control, etc. and that my children did not have to experience growing up in TSCC. I am so very grateful that I have a world of ideas and possibilities that I can and do explore! I can read anything, watch anything, etc. I've studied the major philosophers and scientists. Ive dabbled in Hinduism, Buddhism, atheism, and mysticism. I've experienced hallucinogenics (LSD, not LDS ;D), and transcendental meditation. I've studied and visited many diverse cultures. And I'm grateful for the simplicity of a cool breeze on a warm day, the hummingbirds who feed in the morning, and for this place, where a group of people can have a place were we know we are not alone. It's been an amazing adventure all these years! Life is good!

Posted by: Dydimus (not logged in) ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 06:57PM

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 07:30PM

Posted by: anonni ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 07:19PM

Life is more simple now. No more lessons, meetings, programs, endless busy church things to think about or do. It's like a 100lb. pack has been taken off my back.

I also no longer wonder if someone is watching me. I always had that feeling when I was mormon. I'm talking about people at church. The endless nosy busy bodies looking for gossip. I could care less what they see or know about me. I don't feel like my home is being constantly invaded anymore.

It's all very freeing. All those years of worrying about something that wasn't even real. Such a waste. I'm thankful that I was able to get rid of it, and to bring my kids out of it with me.

Posted by: tomie ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 07:29PM

I'm thankful I don't have to try to be perfect.
I'm thankful I never went to the temple. I'm thankful I found other translations of the Bible that are easier to read.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 10:13PM

I am thankful to have been raised by wonderful parents, who although they were TBM, never forced me to do anything MORG related I didn't want to, that I found a wonderful Catholic girl to fall in love with and marry, and that I have great kids and grandkids, and that, through exmormon.org, I found out I could leave Mormonism behind for good.

Ron Burr

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 10:55PM

I've had time especially lately, to reflect upon the subject of what I am thankful and grateful for, often sharing my thoughts on FB also.

I have had a very long life with a grateful/thankful list that is extensive.

I've learned the value of being thankful for my upbringing, those that contributed to my inner core values even though my childhood was a mixture of relatives: parent, grandparents, uncle, aunt, step fathers, etc.

Those values, some learned from The Optimist Creed given to me as a teenager, and other concepts, cemented the kinds of thinking patterns that have stayed with me my whole life. I am grateful for a sense of humor, and a positive attitude.

Specifically, in relation to the LDS Church: I am very grateful for the experiences and the opportunities to expand my talents and skills and learn new ones. And for my family. I can't begin to count the list of gratitude, I have for all of them. Those decades were fraught with a multitude of trials and difficulties that I often refer to as: "The Good, The Bad, The Ugly."

When I determined I wanted to change my mind about my beliefs, and leave the LDS Church, walking that very difficult journey, I am grateful for a family that has been predominately supportive, (most of which have left also), even a husband of over 50 years that negotiated our truce to "agree to disagree", remaining a believer to his recent death.

Today, I live alone. It is a very different life as a single female and widow. All of my life's experiences, have in some way, prepared me for these times, although I didn't know it at the time. I am cognizant of how all of my life's experiences have contributed to who I am and how I manage my life. It is probably the most relaxing, peaceful time of my life. I am the director of every day and I enjoy all of it's freedoms.

While I struggle with some health issues, I am thankful that I am able to do almost everything I desire to do.

Each day I can easily find something to be thankful for and that gratitude list keeps growing. I'm a strong supporter of thinking in terms of that which we are thankful for, and having an attitude of gratitude.

If I could bottle it, I'd sell it and be a billionaire! :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2013 10:56PM by SusieQ#1.

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 11:01PM

Thankful to real people, not gods. My parents, for example. They weren't "Good Mormons." But they were exemplary people!

A lot of the non-human good things I have are just luck. I'm not thankful for those, I just feel fortunate.

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: August 22, 2013 11:14PM

I'm (really and truly) thankful for SP Asshat. He was the catalyst for this journey that I've taken. Without him, I might still be stacking things on my shelf and snacking on the blue pill. He handed me a red one without realizing what he was doing. I honestly think he thought I had already taken a red one.

Now I'm here and I wouldn't go back, even if I could.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.