Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: exdrymo ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 01:11AM

I'm really getting tired of TBMs boasting that they "give 10% to charity".

We all realize it's laughable to call LDS INC a Charity, but there are two level of wrong here; it's not real charity, AND it's not real giving either.

The doctrine of tithing is based on the idea that it's not your money to begin with. The tithe is OWED to God. It's his from the very beginning. If you don't "bring the whole tithe into the storehouse" you're "robbing God". It's not a gift, it a transaction. You are buying prosperity from God even though you aren't paying up front. God is merely giving you "Net 30" terms on the invoice.

So, it's only any amount OVER 10% that can truly be called "giving" (AKA Offerings, as in "tithes and offerings").

Same reason we speak of "paying" our taxes and not "giving" our taxes.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: schmendrick ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 11:03AM

"Are you a full tithe-giver?"

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 11:23AM

I just read something yesterday where a guy proudly said "God gives everything in life, and we get to keep 90%!"

So, exactly why does a Heavenly Being who is above all time and space need greenbacks?

Posted by: Carrots Tomatoes and Radishes ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 12:37PM

Actually, it's funny you mention that because many people DO call it "paying tithing" ;) sly little dogs.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 01:29PM

I got a real shocker yesterday when several facebook friends re-posted the US map that showed the cities that give the highest percentage of their income to "charity." Our city, Memphis, came in number two after, of course, SLC.

The thing that was surprising is that it seemed like my Memphis friends easily picked up on the reasoning behind it--both cities have a high amount of contributions to churches and a relatively low income base, hence when you look at it in percentages, that's what you get.

But I pointed out that at least in Memphis, I don't know of any churches that are going to tell you that you can't attend your children's wedding if you don't give them enough, or whose finances are completely secret, well, except the few mormon wards. Also, so many churches here run food pantrys, soup kitchens, homeless shelters, give to local charities from the church coffers, etc. And SLC was still a full 2 percentages points above us second-placers, when there really is relatively zero going to real charity.

So don't lump my Blues City in with that other place.

Posted by: DishyDoodle ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 01:32PM

Thanks for sharing that info!

Posted by: judyblue ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 07:06PM

It's a membership fee.

I work for an *actual* charity, and let me tell you... we are held to very high standards of accountability. We undergo a very detailed IRS audit every year, and at least 5 independent audits from foundations that fund us every year. Every month we have to provide detailed reports to grantors that outline exactly how their contributions were used. We have to publish our 990 online every year to maintain our review ratings.

The church does not do any of this. They have absolutely ZERO accountability to the people who "donate" to them. It's infuriating that they continue to get away with it.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 07:40PM

They aren't "giving" anything. The church is extorting money from them by threatening the loss of their family in the eternities, the loss of status and sometimes their families in this life and thru sheer bullying. Tithing is not optional in Mormonism - it's either "give up what you owe us or we'll make you pay. We'll attack your life, your reputation and your family." Should you take the option to not pay a full tithing, you'll pay in other ways.

Posted by: bulldogge ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 10:40PM

Every week I paid a 10% tithe, put 10% in the missionary fund, another 10% in the food/welfare fund, and another 10% in the temple building fund. That's 40% of income off the top, before taxes, to the church, every week. I never once missed the 3 hour Sunday meetings, nor the 2 hour Tuesday night meetings, nor the Saturday volunteer service work.

From
http://laughinggnomehollow.blogspot.ca/

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 10:44PM

The word: charity is the category of the church contributions.
Side Note: Mormons are not the only ones that tithe.

For those that itemize their tax returns, it's a nice deduction.
We always got a refund so I called them "Tithing Refunds"!
My sense of humor was not always appreciated by the members! hehe

Posted by: bulldogge ( )
Date: August 24, 2013 12:24AM

But then don't you have to pay on your return? I seem to remember being told that you should because it's money coming in, even though you already paid 10% of your gross.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: August 24, 2013 03:55PM

bulldogge Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> But then don't you have to pay on your return? I
> seem to remember being told that you should
> because it's money coming in, even though you
> already paid 10% of your gross.

We never owed any $ for our taxes. We always had enough taken out, and enough deductions to get a refund every year. Tithing is paid in many different ways. Sometimes it was paid on a gross amount of a paycheck, and sometimes paid on the net.
I didn't have any concern about anything else.
The tax refunds given the name of: "tithing refunds" was my little joke!

Posted by: subeam ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 10:56PM

"Tithing Refunds" thanks for the laugh.

Posted by: subeam ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 10:58PM

I have a non religious aunt who donates 10% to charity and she tells her kids to do the same. Her kids choose every couple of months a different charity that they feel could do good with the money.

Posted by: rgrraymond ( )
Date: August 24, 2013 12:52AM

Nothing more them temple union dues.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.