Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: omreven ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 11:23AM

I'm a nevermo, so in not directly experiencing daily life in the Morg, what would happen if people refused these interviews for themselves (as adults) and their children?

Regarding the recent FB page regarding invasive and perverted minor child interviews: https://www.facebook.com/pages/No-More-End-Mormons-Sexually-Invasive-Interviews-of-Children/503622079732706

One person states, "Anyone who says these interviews are optional is deluding his or herself."

Another person responds that he was wrapped up in priesthood and Boy Scouts and noncompliance would affect Boy Scouts as well as advancement in the penis-hood with his church peers.

Another person says that to do the baptisms of the dead, you had to do the interviews. You would not advance in YW/YM with your peers, and you would miss joining the other kids if you missed this interview.

Another person responds, as an adult in some authority position, "When did they become optional?"

My question is the ramifications as a parent and as a family.

Much of this is is "peer pressure" on the kids, I'm wondering about the parents:

If a PARENT/ADULT refuses their child to be subject to these invasive and abusive interviews, what would be the ramifications? Would this go over well? People who go against the grain never fair well in Mormondom (unless they're rich), and what would happen if a parent refused? Would the parents find themselves shunned and ousted? Would the children find themselves rejected by their peers? Would the refusal of the parents put themselves and all of their children on the Mormon sh!t-list? Would the entire family get black-listed?

How "optional" is this "optional?"

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: crom ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 11:33AM

Obedience and loyalty to the church is how Mormons are judged. That and appearances of course.

Posted by: biggame ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 11:40AM

As your quotes suggest any advancement in the Church and its programs by the youth (anyone really) requires "personal worthiness interviews."

There is no getting around that.

Most members don't even think twice about these interviews because of how engrained the interviews are into all aspects of church life.

A poster on this board described recently his/her experience with requesting a bishop to not have these types of interviews unless a parent was present.

The poster described how the Bishop took this as a personal attack and was very upset with the request. (The poster described this in much detail. You can prob find it with a search.)

Posted by: copostmo ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 11:45AM

Posted by: omreven ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 12:52PM

I remember this one. Without reading through the whole "story," I recall there was some reluctant compliance and an icy-cold acceptance. I don't know what the long-term ramifications have been to the other children, the family as a whole, or the marriage...all over saying "no" to inappropriate questioning.

Posted by: iris ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 11:45AM

It's optional in that you will be perceived to be unworthy if you're a kid, or unsupportive of the Priesthood leaders if you're a parent. I never thought it was optional growing up and while I was raising my kids. Indoctrination can be very effective.

Posted by: upsidedown ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 11:50AM

It is not optional at all. If you want to be part of the youth group and attend the activities then you have to be interviewed. No exceptions. No one gets a temple recommend to go into the temple and do baptisms for the dead with their youth group unless the get interviewed.

Posted by: jkjkjkjk ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 01:02PM

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2012/06/katie_holmes_scientology_sec_checking_suri_tom_cruise.php

Please see partway down this article SECURITY CHECK CHILDREN,
HCO WW Security Form 8

This is the list of questions asked of Scientology children.

Scientology and LDS have a great deal in common. The children interviews by staff is done for the same purpose.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.