Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 03:01PM

Stunned I tell you. I'm stunned!

Utah ranked dead last in wine friendly states report
August 23, 2013 • By Dawn House The Salt Lake Tribune
Utah ranked dead last among the least wine-friendly states in the nation while California received an A-plus rating as the most consumer-friendly in a report from the Washington, D.C.-based American Wine Consumer Coalition.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/money/56768973-79/wine-consumers-report-states.html.csp

Utah does let you take a bottle of your own wine to a restaurant, which is odd considering how anal they are about everything else.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: amos2 ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 03:16PM

It's just gone downhill.

Opportunity lost.

There could be, by now, a nationally or internationally famed brand of Utah whiskey, vodka, or sugar beet rum...a novelty...distilled since the 1850's.

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 03:18PM

Apparently I'm a bootlegger!!!!

I brought a bottle of champagne for my DDs wedding. I drove down from out of state with a big bottle of Brut Champagne I'd inheirited from Dad's liquor closet after he died! He wasn't much of a drinker so thats why it was still there.

But yes, if you are caught bringing so much as a bottle of vino from Nampa Valley all wrapped up as a present to your loved ones in Utah, you're considered a bootlegger!

The ONLY alchohol that can be bought is what the state liquor stores sell....

So those T-shirts that say 'Finish your beer, there are sober Mormons in Utah" should be distributed widely......it's true.

Posted by: omreven ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 05:03PM

Mormons kill everything.

It is quite unfortunate that a simple glass of wine turns you into a demon.

Who brings their own liquor to a restaurant? Why? Is this a Utah thing?

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 05:09PM

Mormons (many, but not all) even kill alcohol in cooking. I know some people (severe alcoholics, those with alcohol allergies - yes they do exist) can't have it, but Mormons just screw it up with their whole "I'm so much better than you in my complete non-vanilla extract using abstinence" bs attitude.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 06:15PM

It is a Utah thing, and it is turned into a celebration by the Salt Lake Acting Company. For Saturday's Voyeur, patrons are encouraged to bring wine and snacks to the performances. Doubly ironic, since the theater is a former ward building from the 1890s. They have no liquor license, but it is legal to bring your own wine.

I don't know the fine points of the law. I suspect it is wine, or wine and beer only, and the business itself has to be willing for you to do that. I'm pretty sure taking a bottle of wine into McDonalds is a no-no, but I know for sure SLAC allows it. Been there, done that.

Posted by: judyblue ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 06:50PM

It's not exclusively a Utah thing, but it might be more common there as restaurants are less likely to have a large wine selection (too much red tape). But in some states you can bring your own wine to a restaurant, and the restaurant will usually charge you an "uncorking" fee. That way, if you have a special occasion wine you've been saving in your cellar, and want it to go with a special occasion dinner at your favorite restaurant, you can have the best of both worlds.

Posted by: wonderfulwino ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 05:44PM

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 06:18PM

Yet they are the #1 whine-friendly state!

Posted by: lilitalian ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 07:39PM

Salt Lake City is the only place I've ever been where i couldn't order a Margarita at a Mexican restaurant because they "don't serve alcohol". What is Mexican without a Margarita? Madness I say...madness!

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 08:47PM

I have to quote this excerpt from the article:

"Sen. John Valentine, R-Orem, who writes most state liquor legislation, said Utah’s lowest ranking 'is a badge of honor. It shows we take seriously the effects of alcohol on society.'"

No it doesn't Mr. Valentine; it shows the LDS Church has dominant control over the idiots who write the laws here. It shows that people who are not Mormon are being forced to act Mormon. It shows that as long as you have an 'R' after your name people will vote for you in Utah no matter how stupid you are.
What an idiot!!

Posted by: janebond462 ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 09:10PM

AANNNDDD . . . unsurprisingly The People's Republic of Pennsylvania with it's monopolistic Liquor Control Board (so Soviet Union pre-1991) made the bottom 10.

No wonder the parking lots of liquor stores in the NJ, MD & DE border towns are full of cars with Keystone state tags!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.