Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: debbiemarie54 ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 03:16PM

Last night the Bishop in my ward cut me off from receiving anymore help from the Store house. I am a person with a medical condition receiving monthly disability payments. My income is below the poverty level.

They have tried to force me to tithe for a couple years. But I've explained that I can't with my low income. However, I volunteer my time at the storehouse and at the stake house. The Bishop insists that I tithe before I pay rent. I've explained that if I do this I'll need help with my utilities bill. He says that's okay. But this will make me more dependent on the church.

Being more dependent on the church is not good at all. The Bishop forces me to attend functions I don't want to attend in exchange for the "assistance."

Now I'm screwed. No more help with food. Sometimes I hate the church.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: amos2 ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 03:21PM

I'm ashamed of it and I'm sorry.

But, if you need the assistance right now, I'd play along until you find another safety net.
We did, in fact, pressure church assistance recipients to pay tithing and then we simply covered their essentials. It's silly, but in the faith-mindset that's what we thought the right thing was. We deposited their tithing and wrote a rent check at the SAME TIME.

Date: August 23, 2013 03:33PM

Did you ever feel guilty about the pressure you were applying on people?

I so appreciate your response to me. I will have to think this over....the playing along thing. I am so disgusted by their twisting my arm.

I've been looking for part-time work for so long, but nothing has come along.

I'll look extra hard for the next week and live off peanut butter sandwiches, then I'll decide if I want to play their game.

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 03:31PM

debbiemarie54 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

But this will make me more dependent on the church.

>

Sorry you are experiencing this. But to your comment (above), that's the whole point: To make you dependent on the church.

And isn't that ironic coming from an organization that pretends to preach self-sufficiency?

Date: August 23, 2013 03:34PM

Excellent point!!

Posted by: darksided ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 03:37PM

please explore other resources, even from other churches. I don't know where you live but in most cities there are MANY better options than what the LDS have to offer. And they don't require you to be "worthy" to receive

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 04:03PM

I agree, other churches have things like food pantries, and they provide those for those who need the assistance, no questions asked. They don't expect you to formally join their church or become "worthy" for any assistance, just that you have the need. To me, the "worthiness" stuff the Mormon church requires shows that they're not Christian at all, since I think Christ would help someone without asking questions. I might be wrong, but I think when he was arrested and a Roman soldier was injured, that soldier was healed by the person they were there to arrest.

Date: August 23, 2013 05:22PM

I live in San Bernardino County, Calif.

There are many poor people here. There are long lines to get food at the churches. Sometimes in takes two hours or more to get through the lines. I have plantar fasciitis. I can't stand on my feet for very long. But I will seek out the other churches for their help anyway!!

I am applying for work online today. I am so mad about this!!! I appreciate your support so much.

To everyone who is writing me: THANK YOU. THANK YOU.

Posted by: darksided ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 05:25PM

thank you for at least being nice. We had a not so pleasant experience with someone else that didn't like any of our suggestions which is probably why some people haven't posted or are guarded about this topic. We really do care though. And having your location helps a lot so we can recommend actual local help instead of just guessing. Good luck :)

Date: August 23, 2013 05:35PM

I'm so sorry to hear that your help was not well-received.

I love the help I'm getting from all of you.....that's why I reached out. I knew we all were kindred spirits, and you could point me in the right direction. I'm too emotional to think for myself right now.

I'm so happy I found this site. I didn't know it existed until a couple of months ago. What a blessing to have all of you as new friends!

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 04:15PM

Many years ago I worked as an investigator for a private detective agency. Our policy was the same as the Mormons.
First get the money (fee)
Then investigate the client.

Posted by: Carol Y. ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 04:16PM

Call the office of your local congregation for details. You don't have to be a member.

Date: August 23, 2013 05:23PM

OK. I'll check this out. Thanks for the tip.

Posted by: DishyDoodle ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 07:45PM

The Methodist church in our little east coast community has a solid reputation for giving without judgment. We have a community FB page and any time there is a family in need due to job loss, fire or illness that church jumps on it - as do random neighbors- and I have always been impressed!

Posted by: brokenwings ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 04:35PM

not meaning to pry, but what is your age? asking for a reason. also as others have said there are alot of food pantrys available though churches that do not require all tssc does.

Date: August 23, 2013 05:23PM

I'm 59 years old.

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 04:38PM

Food banks from non-church sources or other kinds of churches that don't care if you belong to them, much less if you tithe.
Also see about getting on food stamps.

I'm on food stamps already. But they are only giving me $16.00 per month. They say that's all I qualify for. Even though all I receive is $1,000 per month.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 04:56PM

http://feedingamerica.org/ -- Used to be Second Harvest food banks, but now called Feeding America.

http://www.mowaa.org/ -- Meals on Wheels, meals brought to seniors and I think, disabled people as well.

There's also your local Catholic church and you might be able to get somewhere with the Salvation Army and probably some other resources in your town. Google is your friend here, but you don't need to be held hostage to the mormon church for food.

Thank you for these links.

Date: August 23, 2013 05:28PM

Thank you for reminding me that I am not a hostage to the Mormon Church!!!

dogzilla Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> http://feedingamerica.org/ -- Used to be Second
> Harvest food banks, but now called Feeding
> America.
>
> http://www.mowaa.org/ -- Meals on Wheels, meals
> brought to seniors and I think, disabled people as
> well.
>
> There's also your local Catholic church and you
> might be able to get somewhere with the Salvation
> Army and probably some other resources in your
> town. Google is your friend here, but you don't
> need to be held hostage to the mormon church for
> food.

Posted by: Anon advice ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 05:00PM

Do you qualify for food stamps? If you are on disability, you probably do.

Date: August 23, 2013 05:26PM

Don't qualify for more than $16.00 per month

Posted by: allegro ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 05:35PM

Catholic Charities, Salvation Army and United Way and the YMCA saved my myself and my kids. I was in dire straits for 18mos and the Bishop refused to help me. I went to the Catholic Church behind me and I had all the food I needed. Salvation Army paid my utilities, and United way made sure the food was flowing, kids had clothes and I will never forget this--they bought me some very nice perfume and said I needed something for me.
Also it is my understanding they cannot tithe disability, social security, welfare or child support payments. have things changed?
Now my money goes to these charities on a regular basis.

Date: August 23, 2013 05:42PM

Yes, the Bishop is forcing me to tithe out of my disability check, when I can't afford to buy myself food. Is he kidding??

He is not kidding at all? He has been on my case for two years about tithing, and last night he said "No tithing, no more food from the storehouse." So I walked out.

I will follow up on these leads that you've mentioned.

Thank you for sharing your story.

It makes me feel less alone. I don't want to feel alone.

I live alone. I have no one to depend on but me. They don't need my disability money. Damn them.

Posted by: David Jason ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 05:41PM

There's already been a lot of good advice on here. I just wanted to wish you good luck!

Thank you, David. Keep me in your prayers.

Posted by: subeam ( )

Maybe you could donate plasma. I am sorry you are going trough this.

Date: August 23, 2013 05:44PM

I would be willing to do this. But will they let me if I'm on all kinds of medicine??

I don't think they will let me...???

Thank you for all your brainstorming.

God knows I can't do much thinking on my own right now.

Posted by: subeam ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 07:44PM

http://www.yellowbook.com/yellow-pages/?what=plasma+donation&where=san+bernardino%2C+ca

You could call them and ask. I am on birth control pills and they take my plasma.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 05:45PM

I hope you'll start calling other churches and charities today and that they treat better. Take care and good luck.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 07:20PM

Please don't give the Mormon church a dime. The church doesn't need your money. You do. Shame on your bishop.

I hope that other churches and organizations in your community can step up to help you.

Posted by: Trina ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 07:32PM

Try mturk.com I make a couple hundred dollars a month.its ran by amazon.com.

Posted by: fluhist ( )
Date: August 23, 2013 07:35PM

I am 11,000 miles away from you love, so can offer no practical advice. I am SO sory you are going through all this, it is AWFUL for you.

I just wanted you to know that I send my love and prayers and am so glad there are so many people here who can give you good advice. PLEASE do NOT live on peanut butter sandwiches. With a disabilty you need vegies, fruit and a little meat (at least) to keep up your strength. Tscc does NOT deserve you health. Others with help, and I thank them from here!!

Take care!!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.