Exmormon Bios  : RfM
Exmormon's exit stories about how and why they left the church. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: apawst8 ( )
Date: April 01, 2014 09:09AM

I'm a convert, joining in 2009. I found out the truth shortly after being baptized and had to stick it out for a while before I could convince my wife to leave. I was finally able to guilt her into it after someone made anti-gay comments during Sunday School. (at the time, DW was fairly liberal). And that was that for a while. My wife wanted to go back to a church, but not necessarily the LDS church. My daughter didn't care one way or the other. I've been an atheist for most of my adult life and pretty much only joined because my wife and daughter joined.

Cut to 4-years later. All of a sudden, my 11-year old daughter gets calls every week or so from her friend K, who used to go to school with DD. Fine, they used to be friends, nothing wrong with that. Then K starts asking DD to go to Activity Days. Again, it wasn't too bad. DD liked to hang out with K and that was about it.

But the problem was (and is) DW, seeing all her ward "friends" when she picked up DD every week made her feel guilty about ever leaving the church. (I put "friends" in quotes because none of them gave a damn about her when she went inactive, and only care about her when they thought they could get her to start going again.)

I refused to go to church at first, always claiming I had to work. Then I lost my job, meaning I lost my excuse not to go.

DW is way more into the church now than she ever used to be, actually insisting on reading scripture at least weekly and doing a Family Home Evening. She no longer drinks tea and is actually looking forward to wearing garments after we go to the temple in a few weeks. She no longer shops on Sundays. When we were active 4-years ago, drinking tea and breaking the Sabbath were common for us and we never read scripture. But now DW wants to be serious about TSCC. She's even talking about adult missions and sending DD on a mission.

DD doesn't seem to care about the church one way or the other. K is her only friend in church. (I think that's why K brought DD back. Not to be a missionary or anything. Just that the other 12-year old girls have their own cliques and leave K out. DD is easily K's closest friend in church also).

During "family prayer" time, DD doesn't close her eyes and become reverent, because she knows DW is just going to make some silly long-ass prayer. During scripture reading time, DD cuddles up with DW and "listens" with her eyes closed, so I think she knows what she can get away with and what she can't. (Cuddling with DW takes DW's mind off the fact that DD is daydreaming). In the meantime, I "read" off my tablet, which merely means I'm surfing the net when it's not my turn to read.

DD asks questions like "how do we know it's true" that I can't truthfully answer in front of DW. DD doesn't pay attention during sacrament meeting, using that time to do her personal progress.

So I think that DD isn't serious about TSCC and can be convinced to leave pretty easily.

Don't think DW can ever be convinced to leave. She's never been intellectually curious, so I can't use a story like the Book of Abraham to convince her to leave. She's become politically conservative now, so using anti-gay slurs to leave isn't going to work now. And we hardly talk to each other at all anyway.

I'm currently interviewing for jobs out of state. If I get one of them, I'm gone from the church forever, because I'm not taking DW with me. I'd probably leave her even if she hadn't gone back to TSCC. But her becoming full-bore Molly Mormon makes the decision easy for me.

Hopefully DD comes with me. I think her living full time with all the rules and yelling from DW is going to make her think twice about staying here to be with her school friends instead of being with me out of state where we actually will be doing fun things on Sundays.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.