Exmormon Bios  : RfM
Exmormon's exit stories about how and why they left the church. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: josie ( )
Date: October 16, 2012 11:32PM

I grew up BIC, both parents RMs, in a nearly 100 percent Mormon rural Utah area. Early on I realized that I wanted no part of this religion or state. I was outspoken about my ideas regarding equality and politics from a young age, and was taunted by other girls and even female teachers for my education and career goals.

As Mia Maid president, during a Young Men/Young Women leadership meeting I questioned the bishop as to why the Young Men had such a huge budget and were allowed to go on multi-day waterskiing trips to Lake Powell while the Young Women had a minimal budget and were only allowed quilting activities in the cultural hall. The bishop had no answer, and I remember walking out of that meeting knowing that women held a clearly defined second-class position in this religion.

I later resigned after being harassed by senior missionaries who would constantly call and hound me to go to church. I can still remember where I was standing and the extreme joy I felt after opening up the letter from the church confirming my resignation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2012 12:38AM by josie.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.