Exmormon Bios  : RfM
Exmormon's exit stories about how and why they left the church. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: kstats ( )
Date: February 05, 2013 12:57AM

When I was in high school, there was a Mormon boy who was determined to make me his girlfriend. For two years he pursued me (this included romantic dates, etc.). I was so sure that I didn't want to enter college with a boyfriend dragging behind me, especially not one still in high school, but he wouldn't give up. It wasn't until a couple months before I graduated that he was able to get me to agree to dating him. To this day I'm still not sure how he did it. He loved me and deep down I knew that I wanted to be with him.

We dated throughout the summer (I've never had a more perfect summer), but when I left for college everything changed. One day he woke up and realized that things would never work between us. He wants to go to BYU and on a mission and I, being of the Christian faith, wasn't willing to wait for him. He broke up with me out of the blue. It's been about 5 months since then, but since we broke up because of our religious differences, we still care tremendously for each other. Many times we have tried to learn about each others' religion in hopes that one of us would "see the light" and convert so that we could be together. I'm afraid that he would never leave the Mormon faith unless Jesus came down himself and said, "You're wrong." What are the odds of that happening...? We love each other, there is no doubt about that, and it hurts that only one thing is able to keep us apart.

After many trials of trying to work things out between us, he told me that the holy ghost had proved to him that the Mormon religion was true (and that he was meant to go on a mission). This crushed me. I figured that I would never be able to save him from his church's trance and we stopped talking for a bit. Unfortunately, we don't know how to be without each other (three years of constant communication can make it complicated when you try to stop) and are now back to talking. I'm desperately trying to convince him out of a mission. I can't stand to think of him leaving me for two years, let alone to preach to others about something that isn't true. He has even told me that he has thought about not going on a mission because he doesn't want to lose me - this thought of course always loses in the end.

I have never once thought of waiting for him while he goes on his mission. I always hear stores about how the boys change so much over the period of time and I know he would be even more devoted to his church. This scares me and I don't want to lose the boy I love. After everything we have been through, I have started to think about waiting for him, that maybe we can work on being together once he comes back. Is this a waste of time? I still have those few shreds of hope that he will leave his mission after a couple months and come back to me. I don't know what to do. We still love each other so much, but his mission might tear us apart for good.

Please help me. I'm so lost.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.