Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: August 24, 2013 12:03AM

I love books. I so enjoyed the first thread on this topic that I decided to see if others were interested in continuing the topic. Thanks to all who posted for sharing the books you are reading and have read.

I just finished a book I heard about on C-span2. It is written by Asne Seierstad, a reporter from Oslo, and is called A Hundred and One Days. A Baghdad Journal. From January to April 2003 the author was in Baghdad when the war was in full gear and said that in ten years of reporting conflict zones and war she never worked under such difficult conditions. Before the war started, people in Baghdad were afraid to talk openly to her because they could be arrested or even killed. As the war went on, eventually the censorship on people began to disappear, and she writes, "What do they choose to say when they can suddenly say what they want?" The author's descriptions and writing style, her creativity in finding men and women who would talk with her, and her courage to stay in Irag with war all around her was incredible. What I loved most about the book was hearing how the war impacted the lives of the children and men and women of Irag and the reporters themselves, and hearing what everyone had to say about the U.S of A's invasion of their country. I believe for the first time, I really got a true and honest picture of this war. Two close family members served in the war and I was worried for their safe return which I'm happy to report, did occur. For those whose lives were lost or who received injuries, I am truly, truly sorry. War is ugly and so very useless.

This year I have also enjoyed the following books: The Passion of Raptor Jesus by Raptor Jesus, The Girls from Fourth Ward by Donna Banta, and Drug Lord: A True Story: The Life and Death of a Mexican Kingpin by Terrence E. Poppa.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2013 12:04AM by presleynfactsrock.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: MexMom ( )
Date: August 24, 2013 01:15AM

Posted by: victoria ( )
Date: August 24, 2013 09:41AM

Zealot by Resa Aslan.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 24, 2013 09:46AM

By Alexander McCall Smith. Very charming little books.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2013 11:22AM by Cheryl.

Posted by: cwpenrose ( )
Date: August 24, 2013 11:25AM

Ooh ooh, I'm reading that now! Love love them all. I am on the 10th book now. I'm also reading the Saxon Chronicles about Albert the Great. Also great books. And at the same time, I'm trying to get through a huge book that contains most of the works by Mark Twain. It's taking time because the language is different and the print is small and the book is HUGE and, therefore, hard to hold up plus the fact that it hurts when I drop it on my head when I doze off DOH! Love to read also and spend lots of time doing it.

Posted by: leafonthewind ( )
Date: August 24, 2013 11:36AM

The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith (a pseudonym for J.K. Rowling.)

Posted by: notamormon ( )
Date: August 24, 2013 12:23PM

leafonthewind Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith (a
> pseudonym for J.K. Rowling.)

Great book. I hope it is the start of a new series.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: August 24, 2013 11:48AM

The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling.

Posted by: crappieking ( )
Date: August 24, 2013 11:53AM

The evloution of god by robert wright. Awesome book

Posted by: karin ( )
Date: August 24, 2013 12:29PM

just finished Picture Perfect by Jodi Picoult.. One of her earlier books.

Posted by: releve ( )
Date: August 24, 2013 12:35PM

I Know This Much Is True by Wally Lamb. Just finished Voices by Howard Zinn and Anthony Arnove.

Posted by: kokaubeammeup ( )
Date: August 24, 2013 03:05PM

Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of Belief
by Lawrence Wright

3/4 of the way done and it's so interesting. I put an X in the corner of the page when something reminds me of mormonism in any way and I have a running list in the front of the book of similarities between Hubbard and Smith. It is so interesting to read about the sorts of psychological and social aspects that keep people believing in such a wacky religion despite abuse, cognitive dissonance, etc.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: August 24, 2013 03:08PM

A Universe From Nothing by Lawrence Krause

The Swerve by Stephen Greenblatt

Sex and Punishment by Eric Berkowitz

Naked Lunch by William Burroughs

Tenth of December by George Saunders

Posted by: procrusteanchurch ( )
Date: August 24, 2013 05:01PM

Camp 14, which is about a guy who escaped from north korea. It is eerie to see the similarities between tscc and north korea in how they keep their people under control.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2013 05:02PM by procrusteanchurch.

Posted by: ducky333 ( )
Date: August 24, 2013 05:52PM

One of the best books I've read in yrs. Won Pulitzer 2yrs ago I think. A Small Hotel by Robert Olen Butler. Short but amazing about male intimacy issues. N just got The Male Brain along w\books on memory and the brain. Wanna understand some of these crude men I meet, strangers on the streets of Provo, who say n try to do things very ungentlemanly. Funny tho every book The Female Brain was gone. That says a lot!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.