Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: moxnix ( )
Date: August 25, 2013 03:53PM

An amazingly ridiculous argument. I'm actually sort of impressed.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: August 25, 2013 04:36PM

The article is correct, that "Jehovah" is not the name of the Hebrew god. It is an artificially (and incorrectly) assumed version of that name, which in Hebrew consisted of four letters: yod - he - vav - he - transcribed into Latin letters as YHVH.

That it has anything to do with HVH "destruction" is ridiculous. Such a claim shows an ignorance of how languages work. It would be like claiming that "Washington" included the word for "laundry" or "Arkansas" had something to do with Noah's boat.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: August 25, 2013 11:12PM

It contains the word ho. You know what that means...

Posted by: armtothetriangle ( )
Date: August 25, 2013 10:54PM

That's what I learned too, that Jehovah is a 16th century corruption of the Hebrew. By that time I was inactive and mostly mentally out of tscc. I remember chuckling to myself thinking 'Guess the restoration didn't involve getting His name right.'

Posted by: lucky ( )
Date: August 25, 2013 10:57PM

just like SO MANY other things that Joe Smith messed up on !!!

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: August 25, 2013 11:10PM

It could be worse. You could be a Jehovah's Witness, running around telling everyone that the most important thing, is to call God by the correct name.

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: August 25, 2013 11:22PM

No one today says god's or his boys' name as it was said then, because modern Hebrew has probably changed pronunciations in unknowable ways. The same thing goes for how Jesus looked, or how those people thought. They would seem like aliens to us and we would to them. Language, behavior, world views, all unknowable to us, yet we continue to interpret the old books in our own context, exhibiting a form of presentism. Religion is a game of pretending to garner meaning from things that meant something totally different to the ancients. It's continually re-invented in order to have meaning in current cultural contexts. There are no eternal truths.

Posted by: exbishfromportland ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 12:28AM

However you want to pronounce it, the God of the Old Testament was a real SOB. I do not believe he is the same being as either God or the Savior. There is an interesting article in Wikipedia on the topic of Marcionism (2nd century offshoot of Christianity) that discusses this.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.