Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: exbishfromportland ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 12:46AM

I have a full copy of his journal (4th great grandfather), apparently also the great grandfather of Hugh Nibley...didn't know that before tonight.
I went looking for the full version online and can't find it. The versions available seem to be rather severely edited, probably because of the quotes I am going to share below.

April 6, 1852: “President Young spoke on the subject of tithing themselves and all they had, if they would do they would have a millennium.”

August 29, 1852: Conference continued. Orson Pratt spoke on the plurality of wives and mission to go to Washington to promulgate the doctrine of the plurality of wifes.

October 6, 1853: Conference commenced, presiding by Phineas Young and others in the evening, a lecture on the plurality of wifes.

October 29, 1854: Brigham Young preached concerning the Jews; no Jew coming in this church would remain faithful. Br. Neibaur as a Jew has changed his Jewish Blood. There is not a smallest particle of the Blood of a Jew in him.

May 22, 1859: Pres. B. Young spoke in Tabernacle, said Jesus would come many a time, would give the Keys of the Resurrection to some, they again give them to others and so the Resurrection would proceed – the Saints know nothing of the Celestial Law.

Oct 23, 1859: Geo. Canon apointed as one of the 12 apostles in the place of P.P. Prate killt by McClean (Parley P. Pratt had taken McClean’s estranged but not divorced wife as his own, and McClean was angry about it! See Wikipedia link, the section on Death and Legacy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parley_P._Pratt)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Anonidocious ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 01:10AM

Very interesting.

No matter how hard they try, there is absolutely no way for the church to divorce (pun intended) itself from polygamy. Quite the bummer for a church trying to brand itself as mainstream Christian.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 01:13AM

And the TRUTH will set us free.

No truer words were ever spoken.

Posted by: Zig ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 09:40AM

This is one of the prime reasons why the Cult asked Mormons to donate their old journals. Those journals were never seen again.

Posted by: 8thgeneration ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 09:44AM

That's new to me. Do you have a source quote for that statement? Thanks so much.

Posted by: holdyourtapirs ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 10:08AM

I have an ancestor that donated the journals of her husband (a prominent/controversial apostle) to the church. She, later on, was denied access to the journals (and other items) that she had donated. Some hard feelings still exist within the family over this issue.

By way of contrast, the Daughters of the Utah Pioneers museum ensures perpetual family access to donated items. In speaking with someone at the DUP museum, I was told that is why many families choose to donate items there instead of the church.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.