Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 06:49AM

This was a weird one. We've just moved from one end of the country to the other. We gave many pounds of usable items to Goodwill before the move, but since arriving, DW has been paring the load even more, and made several more boxes for Goodwill. She's been after me for a couple of weeks to get them all together for a drop-off at the big Goodwill store her.

I noticed that she had a few books in there that I wanted to keep, so I went through all of them and found out that she had jettisoned all the Mormon-published books. Fine with me. I just thought that it was weird to do so. Miracle of Forgiveness wasn't included, unfortunately. But it was odd that she had thrown out her father's copy of Teachings of the Joseph Smith. I salvaged that one because of it's potential value when having to point out doctrines that TBMs deny all the time.

Anyway, it was weird stuff for me to have her throw them all away, and I had to wonder why. I didn't ask, though. I hope that the books will now fall into the hands of some local religious leaders who can use them to teach their congregation.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lou Louis ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 07:52AM

Our collection went straight to the land fill.

Posted by: mysid ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 08:39AM

My copy of the BoM went into the recycling barrel with the empty beer bottles. It seemed fitting.

(And I NEVER throw away books. If I can bear to part with them, they go to used bookstores or secondhand stores so someone else can have them. This book was too toxic to risk putting it in someone's hands.)

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 09:17PM

mysid Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My copy of the BoM went into the recycling barrel
> with the empty beer bottles. It seemed fitting.
>
> (And I NEVER throw away books. If I can bear to
> part with them, they go to used bookstores or
> secondhand stores so someone else can have them.
> This book was too toxic to risk putting it in
> someone's hands.)

A hearty Baptist AMEN, mysid!! My cultic books (except a few for critical study & reference) were put in the bottom of the recycle bin on the morning of pick-up. I especially endorse your phrae, "too toxic to risk putting it in someone's hands."

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 10:44PM

I would also say that Miracle of Forgiveness is too toxic to simply donate, so if I had a copy of that, I would have thrown it away.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 09:15AM

I ripped up my triple combo.

It was therapeutic.

Posted by: hikergrl ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 09:32AM

I've thought about going over to my mom's to "borrow" a few books that are no longer being published and contain some real LDS gems. My dad has passed and I'm sure my TBM sibblings will try to get her hands on the book first when my mom passes. Besides "Mormon Doctrine", what would you suggest I "borrow"?

Posted by: ddt ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 09:54AM

Satanic ciphers should be burned in fire.

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 10:02AM

I kept a few weird ones, like you say, to point out doctrines that TBMs deny all the time. Like a two-volume piece of drivel about BoM geography by some GA (Milton Hunter or something, can't remember).

Also a few basic reference works. All lumped in the religion-section of our library, safely tucked away alongside Dennett and Dawkins :-)

Posted by: weeder ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 10:07AM

... and found out how very difficult it is to burn books (which is a good thing I think).

I would NEVER recommend burning books, but in my case it was therapeutic.

I probably burned about $2500 in books that day.

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 10:20AM

I hope it's a good sign, cludgie!

Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 02:38PM

Me too!

Posted by: vodkamdew ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 10:21AM

I should have done more to our church books than just tossing them in the recycle bin.

Posted by: sparty ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 11:12AM

I sold all my Morg books to a local used book store. They actually had to make a new Mormon section just from all my junk alone. Wish I would have kept a couple for bonfires.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 01:54PM

Maybe she's just holding out an olive branch and making an effort to make religion less prominent in the home.

I threw out books I later re-purchased. I had to buy a new copy of Fascinating Womanhood since I'm such a militant feminist now. Why would I want that book? Because I'd talk to other women about the way I was raised and the mormon path for women and they'd act like I was making it up. Especially since so many of my friends were raised just the opposite and it shows--most of them have college degrees, many have graduate degrees, PhDs, are doctors or lawyers, or have retired from professional careers. They had mothers who taught them that they could and should do and be anything they wanted.

I was at some women's gathering and brought that book and one of my friends would read it and just gasp and say, "OMG, listen to this," and would read it aloud and I'd just laugh while everyone else was sitting there with their chins dropped like, "you have got to be kidding."

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 08:53PM

Yeah, "Fascinating Womanhood"... Good times. Now for a healthy dose of ipecac. Mmm-mm!

Posted by: ZIP ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 09:34PM

Here's what to do with your BoM, or Quad, or other church books:

1) Sandwich the book(s) between two pieces of thin plywood and tighten with "C" clamps.

2) Using a drill press, drill holes of various sizes through the book(s) so that they look like Swiss Cheese afterward. Remove plywood and clamps (these will ensure a clean cut on the book surface).

3) Now you truly have a holy library - one that is full of holes literally and figuratively.

4) Display on coffee table for the Home Teachers etc.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 09:42PM

No telling what goes through someone's mind to toss them.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 10:56PM

Excellent. And I would also do what you did....salvage a couple.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 10:56PM

I wish exmos would keep this stuff just to prove to future generations how evil mormonism really is.

Posted by: evergreen ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 11:11PM

I sold a bunch of my mo books. I wanted to prophet, oh, I mean profit, from the crap I bought.

I kept mo doctrine, discourses of the profit jo smith, D&C compendium

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.