Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Vote for Pedro ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 09:24AM

Been posting here a little lately, and registered the other day, so I figure I should probably introduce myself. Some of you might recognize the screen name- it's been done in other worlds.

32, BIC, RM, TM with one kid. Joined in apostasy by my wife.

I left TSCC three months ago after getting to the end of my New Year's resolution to read the BoM. When I got to the end and expected to have a faith-promoting, re-affirming via Moroni 10:3-5, I realized instead that I'd never really honestly considered the alternative. Then I realized my only reasons for believing were the "spiritual" convictions I'd had, and that they were really just emotions. I thought, "emotions can be easily fabricated and manipulated. Is this what happened to me?" A little bit of research into mind control and cult characteristics is all it took and I was done.

Since I let go I've been better off in every aspect of my life. I've started working out and lost almost 20 pounds. I'm not stressed about money anymore. That, combined with a cup of coffee in the morning, has allowed me to enjoy my job more and do better professionally than ever before.

The whole world makes more sense now that I'm not forcing everything and everyone to fit into the paradigm of Mormonism. I'm getting comfortable with not having all the answers, and enjoying the freedom to think about things for myself.

I still haven't come clean to my TBM parents, who live far away and who will most likely freak out for a bit. I'm trying not to make a big deal out of it, but their response is my only real concern in all of this.

Thanks for all your posts. It helps!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: sonofman ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 09:35AM

Welcome! One of the things that many have found is that by simply taking it all seriously, treating it all is if it is literally true, it helps you to see it all for what it is and get out.

It is a lot of stress trying to keep yourself convinced and in line with the teachings, and a relief to let go of all of that.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 09:44AM

Getting out of the church eliminates a giant time and energy drain, money drain, and brain drain from your life. You have more of everything you need to live a better life.

I raise my coffee mug to you!

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 09:46AM

Bienvenidos!

The Cult is shrinking because of you...

My heart is warmed by your story.

Posted by: smo ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 09:50AM

Raising up my coffee mug your way too. What a concise, well said post. That was nice to wake up to! smo

Posted by: fidget ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 09:52AM

Welcome!

Don't forget to eat your tater tots ;)

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 09:59AM

Good. For. You. Perfect story: read the BoM and finally, like many of us, admitted that we didn't feel a damn thing. And then followed integrity straight out! Yay!

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 10:00AM

Welcome to life as it actually is and not the pre-programmed slavery of mormonism.

It's a sweet thing that you got out with the wife and another bonus that you have a kid that will not be generationally bound to the church.

Posted by: frogdogs ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 10:00AM

Awesome!

The BoM played a key role in my exit as well. Painful to read and then finally be left with the conclusion that emotions are assigned an inappropriate, trivializing role in determining 'truth'.

Congratulations!

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 10:05AM

Great intorduction. Welcome here.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 10:07AM

Welcome! Post like yours make my day. I felt the same way when I left - like the whole world finally made sense. Things are so much better once you escape.

Loved your comment about what has been done in other worlds. :)

Posted by: ladybug ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 10:08AM

I like your statement, "The whole world makes more sense now that I'm not forcing everything and everyone to fit into the paradigm of Mormonism. I'm getting comfortable with not having all the answers, and enjoying the freedom to think about things for myself."

That was my experience as well. The world made more sense and was a happier, more fun place to live in. NEVER,have I been happier and at more peace with myself than the years since I left the church. I am 54 and left at about 12-13 years ago. My only regret is that I didnt do it much, much sooner!

Posted by: iflewover ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 11:21AM

Now, if you could just go back to '82 and win that big game!

Congratulations and a hearty welcome. Life is good when you shuck off the fear and control of LDS Inc.

As for your folks, you will figure out the best way to deal with them. I hope they can accept your decision to be true to yourself.

Best wishes in your new journey!

Posted by: colorado ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 04:52PM

Welcome VfP

Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 04:56PM

I love posts like this!!!

Welcome (raising my cup of coffee) and here's to your life free from the mindf@#k that is Mormonism!

Posted by: deconverted2010 ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 04:59PM

Welcome. Glad you found this place.

Just a few days ago I was thinking the same thing, the world makes more sense now. I used to get into all the circular logic trying to make sense out of the doctrine, the blessings and the world overall. Not any more.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 04:59PM

No need to explain yourself to anyone except spouse and kids. Parents are optional.

Posted by: DishyDoodle ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 05:06PM

Welcome! I raise my cup of Chai Latte to you VfP - and all the like-minded free people sipping a mug-o-something!

Let's all observe a moment of silence for those who choose to not see and be free... or to just enjoy our sinful caffeine buzz.

Posted by: queenb ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 06:03PM

We left and didnt say anything to either of our parents.... but we live close, so they started catching on. We are letting them down slowly, right now they think we are just "taking a break". Though, I really hope they understand what that really means... if not, then they will fully understand in a couple years when our oldest son turns 8 and doesnt get baptized.

Line upon line, precept on precept. ;)

p.s. I like your username, though now I think you can only be from Preston Idaho. lol!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 06:19PM

Welcome! How nice that your wife made it out with you. It sounds like you are enjoying your new lifestyle.

Posted by: fluhist ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 06:37PM

It is lovely to meet you and hear your wonderful story! SO glad things are working out for you so well!

My son and I were both very inactive when he decided to marry. He married a Lutheran woman, and joined that Church to be able to raise his children in one churh. Even though he knew I was no longer in tscc he was very shame faced in telling me he had joined Lutheranism. I chuckled with him a little and told him that his religion was absolutely none of my business, a little like his sex-life, and while I appreciated his concern over my reaction, that I felt there were FAR worse reasons to join a Church than to be united as a family. That was that.

When you decide to tell your tbm family, I know the reaction will be different, but really the basis is still the same. Your religion is your business, and about your concience, and if that says NO LDS, that is what is says.

All the best love, and it wonderful that you are SO happy out of the church.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 09:49PM

A hearty welcome, friend. Hope you enjoy the goings on here.

Ron Burr

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.