Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 02:07PM

With the discussion of what to do with your Mormon books that you don't want anymore, I used to think we should just destroy them so that we can destroy their influence, but now I actually think we should try and donate them to current members of the church.

My reasoning is this. If we donate them to a book or thrift store, there is a possibility of them falling into the hands of a non-Mormon who might become interested in Mormonism (or maybe the opposite and be inoculated against Mormonism?). If we destroy them, Mormons will just buy brand new ones from Deseret Books thus enriching the apostles and apologists who get rich off of the members.

I say donate them to the local ward or poorer members you know. I'd rather they get for free one of your books than hand over MORE money to the charlatans making money over at Deseret Bookstore.

And besides, they will probably have older material that hasn't been whitewashed yet.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 02:12PM

Most mormons can't afford an unlimited supply of new books. The more books that are floating around makes it more likely that they'll do damage.

Some of them need to be saved to prove that mormons believe strange things.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 03:29PM

Cheryl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Most mormons can't afford an unlimited supply of
> new books. The more books that are floating
> around makes it more likely that they'll do
> damage.

Yes, but Mormons will just buy new ones then. I say keep them stocked up with the old ones so that they don't buy new ones. I want to decrease the demand for LDS books, not increase them. If Mormons don't have books, they will buy more. I want to keep them satisfied so that LDS publishers don't publish more. The damage being done is through attending church, not by the books they have.

Posted by: jonathantech ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 02:13PM

We threw ours in the recycle bin

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 03:16PM

I left them in front of the door at the church. I wrote them off on my taxes as a donation to the church.

Posted by: iris ( )
Date: August 27, 2013 03:23PM

I donated to DI with the specific hope of not enriching the authors and/or Deseret Book, Distribution Center, etc.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.