Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Janny ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 12:58AM

There is a current thread on Babycenter (title has the word "unair" in it) about a stay at home mom who has no income and without her knowledge, her husband stopped paying their tithing. They went to meet with the bishop to plan their son's baptism and he chose that time to inform them that he is taking away both their temple recommends. She was in tears. She has done nothing wrong! According to people responding to her post, this actually happens quite often. I can't believe morgbots can still not question the gospel when injustices like this occur. In this case, it IS and example of the church being wrong, not the people. I mean, the bishop obviously has poor judgement, but that the church is behind him in this is just WRONG!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 01:01AM

Posted by: dieter ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 01:05AM

Just shows the cult is a corporation not a church. If her husband stopped paying the bank without her knowledge they would still repossess her car.

Posted by: Unindoctrinated ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 03:25PM

When you make payments on a car, you actually get something...a car. When you pay tithing, you get a "promise" which TSCC never has to make good on.

Come to think of it, if you stopped paying tithing, TSCC could keep you from attending loved ones' weddings. That's worse than losing the car.

Date: January 31, 2011 01:17AM

How do I post a link? You can try doing a search of "unfair".

Yeah, why can't people see the church is a corporation. It's so obvious!

Date: January 31, 2011 01:16PM

It's morning now, I'm gonna head over to Babycenter to read your posts. The ones I read last night, wow. Some of those women (any men?) are doing some real mental gymnastics to justify the branch president. I was really disappointed to read from someone claiming to be a nonmember who sided with the bishop. Yeah, I really hope this lady grabs a clue and runs far, far away from the stupid church.

Date: January 31, 2011 01:20PM

Sorry if I am re-posting, I don't think my first attempt worked.

I was saying that I am going to the BBC thread to check out what has occured overnight. Last night, I was appalled at all the mental gymnastics of all those people who were siding with the bishop. (Aren't they supposed to be supportive of the person who posted?) I was also very disappointed in the person claiming to be a non-member who sided with the bishop. Ugh!

Things like this are such a red flag, the church is a fraud, why don't they see it?!?!

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 01:29AM

"My husband and I struggle with the money thing a lot. Since he works for it, he has a hard time seeing it as ours. As far as he is concerned the money is his. I get money to buy groceries and other household necessities, and if we don't have enough to pay bills it is usually seen as my fault."

My god, these people are DUMB! IT'S THE 21ST CENTURY LADIES!!! Guess what, this kind of personal financial ignorance didn't work in the 50's, so it's not going to work now.

Of course the church isn't going to come out and give you the tools to be independent. They'd rather see the patriarch earn the money, and then pay the money to the church.

Well, this backfired on everybody didn't it? Wife doesn't know jack, and husband won't pay tithing. Church loses, family loses.

And what's the church's answer? Well, give us back your recommends. Too bad. Can't pay your bills? Oh no! Didn't know you weren't "worthy?" Ooops. Well, we just want our money.

Posted by: GIDEON ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 01:56AM

Appreciate your posting this issue.

But this is nothing new in the LDS org.

I have seen seveal heart wrenching situations of real desperate
members who asked for abit of temp financial
help - and got nothing.

You see, Morg prefer to take than give away
even a tiny part of their 50 billion dollar piggy bank.

Nothing the bishop can do about that. His orders
come from the old guys in SLC, who are only following Joseph Smith's commandment.

Posted by: They don't want me back ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 05:22AM

If she's so worried about it and relieve some of the financial burden from her husband.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 07:12AM

Some are lenient and some are mean, while others try very hard to be fair. And yet, given the wide discrepency of judgement, members are to believe that each Bishops judgement is Gods will and will be bound in heaven.

I hope this episode helps the woman leave the church.

Posted by: They don't want me back ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 08:05AM

Posted by: Misfit ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 09:10AM

Good job, They don't want me Back.
This situation happened to me & my DW. There was no baptism in the mix, my situation happened at tithing settlement. The Bish wanted both our recommends when I told him I was only a partial tithepayer, and my DW doesn't work.
I would love to log on and raise hell too, but can I log on as man, or do I have to go in drag?
All I want to say is to point out the fact that the BP is using their marriage as leverage to extract money from them, and he is using their child's baptism as the perfect opportunity to do this. Its a form of extortion.
I also wanted to point out that a baptism doesn't require a current temple recommend. It only requires an Aaronic Priesthood holder.

Posted by: nomo moses ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 09:17AM

When I was disfellowshiped years ago, I was talking with the bishop and really did not want to pay tithing at that time. He informed me that if I didn't my spouse would not be able to get a recommend. I know there were lots of inactive men around whose spouses were going to the temple and brought that up. He stated their situation was different. I'm not sure how. My wife had her own income and was actually paying excessive tithing I thought. she was self employed, and would pay tithing on her gross receipts. I tried to explain to her that she didn't have to pay on the income prior to her business expenses, but she always paid on gross receipts. When I got my membership back, I reduced my tithing to compensate for her method of calculation.

Posted by: Misfit ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 10:16AM

My DW did that too with her Mary Kay business-paid on gross reciepts instead of realized income. She wanted extra blessings. Needless to say, that didn't work out very well.

Anyway, I logged on to the babyboard for the first time and said my piece. I couldn't let TDWMB swing it out there alone.

Posted by: Cristina ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 10:44AM

Perhaps the light in the tunnel is that these wounds will accumulate until she sees the light.

Over time she may see that her child's baptism was used as extortion and that spiritual community in Mormonism has to be purchased with money.

Posted by: Steven ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 11:27AM

sick ass cult.

Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 11:33AM

If she gets really aware, she may see her husband's cave-man attitude about "his" paycheck as a classic red flag indicating he may be a controller.

Posted by: maria ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 10:56AM

Why don't these people see that their salvation and eternal progression is in the hands of dentists???? Or plumbers? Or lawyers? Or businessmen?

These men are totally unqualified to be in their positions, but yet people are OK with their eternities being controlled by these idiots??

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 11:16AM

I wonder if it has occurred to any of them to ask themselves what money has to do with "worthiness."

Date: January 31, 2011 01:58PM

The thread is locked now. It is so sad that they STILL can't see the light. Thanks for your posts. I can't believe how they are so unsupportive of the OP and so very supportive of the bishop. It's supposed to be a supportive board!

I do think that at least one person, who was thinking of becoming active again, is now having second thoughts. Good!

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 02:18PM

If her husband stopped paying tithes he is the smart one. Good for him.

How many sobering experiences will it take for this woman to realize the morg wants their money???

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 02:38PM

They deleted the thread.

Posted by: Cristina ( )
Date: January 31, 2011 02:44PM

While I don't think the working spouse owns the money or should control it, I do believe that either spouse has the right to veto giving money away.

A families finances belong to the family and I don't think either spouse has a right to decide they will give the family's money to an institution, a charity, or any other person without it being a joint decision. Giving money away is very different from making individual decisions on what to buy.

So in that way, I do think a husband or wife has the right to not allow their jointly owned money to be transfered by the other spouse to the church for tithing (or to a bookie for gambling or to a friend as a loan, etc). I don't think that's being controlling. I think it's common sense.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.