Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 01:27AM

I haven't seen any evidence of increased numbers here.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: fluhist ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 01:29AM

Maybe we're a lost cause mate!! Heh heh!!!!

Posted by: templeendumbed ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 01:36AM

Ah, crap - I didn't wan't to admit this, but I went on a binge of watching Utoob videos the other night of kids opening up their mission calls. Of maybe the supposed 500 kids from the morridor high schools that I watched, I think I saw 1 going to France and 3 going to ozzieland. Perhaps it's the high schools I watched, but it does appear that they have given up on France and Australia. I saw more kids going to Sweden, Denmark, the Netherlands, Italy, and Spain than I saw for our countries of concern. I hope they have given up on certain areas!

Date: August 29, 2013 12:53AM

Ha ha.... Sweden.

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: August 29, 2013 03:05AM

LOL

Date: August 28, 2013 01:39AM

Okay, well I promise it we can handle it, we have in the past!!

Posted by: templeendumbed ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 02:08AM

Fluey,

I just want to personally congratulate you on not turning this into a cat thread -- well, at least up to this point. Somehow, I have a bad feeling you will find a way to turn this into a "i cun haz scheezberger" thread.

Still waiting for the apology by the way!!!! ;-)

Posted by: spanner ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 02:01AM

For some reason I mostly see Polynesian Missionaries on this side of the pond. The last Utah missionary did a runner.

Posted by: NotSoSure ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 02:31AM

Just about all the new missionaries going out from my ward are being called to Brazil. I kid you not...there's more than 3 heading there now.

Posted by: acerbic ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 08:38PM

when I was bored and watching mission calls. Mea culpa. I thought that the World Cup and the Olympics were the reason. Try to get lots of Brazilians to join, and then have a domestic source of people to proseletize to the visitors to those events.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 02:38AM

My guess, they can call as many missionaries as they like, but countries like Australia, who have a tradition of being tight on the visas, may have a lot to say on how many can actually come in.

Mormon Missionary- knock, knock, knock.

Aussie Customs Officer- "What is wanted?"

Missionary- "To teach the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ."

ACO- "Already got plenty of that. Now bugger off and go bother someone else's country."

Posted by: reddwarf ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 10:52AM

My nephew is in Sydney right now. He is Chinese speaking though. He has not mentioned a surge happening there though. The letters his mom forwards on facebook mention a shortage of teaching, boredom, and having to help the english speaking missionaries because they have decreased the number in the city and sent them out to the suburbs.

Posted by: antipodeanheathen ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 12:14PM

The only 2 missionaries I have ever seen in Sydney were a couple of young unfortunate lads who turned up on my doorstep uninvited 12 months ago. They were sent by my nutty and bat shit crazy ex, as some sort of "revenge"!

Other than that, I have never seen them on the streets, or any where else for that matter. I can't imagine many Aussies would be receptive to being disturbed in their own homes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2013 12:14PM by antipodeanheathen.

Date: August 29, 2013 03:28AM

What did you do to that poor woman to deserve that kind of revenge?

Posted by: En Sabah Nur ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 12:36PM

As a former missionary who served in Australia, I can guarantee that unless they try another KFC chicken-feed waterhole baptism/swim party with aboriginal children as was done in the not-so-distant past, they're not going to have much success.

Here's a phrase the young American Mormon missionaries should learn before coming to Australia, because they'll hear it a lot: "Nah, mate, no worries, she'll be right."

Posted by: AIT ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 01:27PM

I heard the phrase: "Piss off!" a whole lot more. Usually followed by: "Bloody Mormons!"

Posted by: En Sabah Nur ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 01:37PM

I definitely heard those plenty, although they usually just called us "churchies" instead of Mormons.

Mostly, though, I thought the Aussies were overwhelmingly friendly. For instance, I was pulled into several houses by complete strangers just to watch the footy, and I made quite a few nonmember friends while there.

On top of that, the Aussie ladies were very friendly with the missionaries. VERY friendly.

Date: August 29, 2013 03:35AM

Wait, were Aborigines punished with the curse of Cain too, or where they of the house of Lehi? Has any Mormon GA ever even thought to clear this issue up for us? I ask, because I think it would somehow be both hilarious and mind explodingly awful, just like all the other times they speak about race.

Posted by: FredOi ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 08:08PM

Oh wow.
Adelaide?
Masson?

Posted by: closer2fine ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 01:31PM

Maybe its because the cost of a flight there is so freaking expensive. The church is very cost mindful you know.

Posted by: WakingUpVegas ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 02:26PM

My friend's younger sister is supposed to be serving there. She was so excited to be going to Australa. But due to "visa problems", she and several other girls have been stateside for several months now. Sounds like a bummer.

Date: August 29, 2013 01:01AM

What visa problems? I didn't think it was a big deal if they aren't working.

Maybe it's the length of stay. All they have to do to renew is go to Fiji or Bali for the weekend.

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: August 29, 2013 12:56AM

Expensive flight, Aussies too smart to buy the story. Not a good bet, so they probably aren't sending many there. I may be wrong, but it seems like "Visa Problems" are cropping up a lot lately! Brazil did this when a relative was going there.

Several countries have been reacting to US restrictions related to terrorism that makes it difficult for their citizens to come to the US. Any counter-reaction by stalling visas would probably be directed to non-essential US travelers, rather than something that hurts trade or tourism. Like missionaries.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2013 12:59AM by rationalist01.

Posted by: seeking peace ( )
Date: August 29, 2013 01:20AM

My nephew left today for the land down under--they are still sending them that direction! He is a great kid and scared to death-I feel terrible for him-he is extremely bright and should be finishing his education instead of wasting two years being yelled at!

Posted by: Lostmypassword ( )
Date: August 29, 2013 01:23AM

Perhaps the MTC is having trouble teaching Utah kids to speak Australian.

Date: August 29, 2013 03:24AM

Yup it is a difficult language to learn!

And THIS is for templeendumbed ............ our Aussie cats (who meow with an Aussie accent) are NEVER unfriendly to LDS missionaries!! Except for on husband of a couple missionary who had socks my moggy LOVED to chew!! But that was when he was a kitten..........

Date: August 29, 2013 03:26AM

On the other hand, LDS missionaries pray for protection from dogs while tracting in Australia, and pack up their pockets with dog biscuits in case the prayers aren't heard. Heh heh heh!!

Date: August 29, 2013 03:27AM

SOOOOOO sorry mate, MEOW!!!!

Posted by: rationalist01 ( )
Date: September 13, 2013 07:43PM

The guy probably had the same habit as my great uncle. He'd reach down and use his socks to wipe his fingers while eating...

Posted by: ozcrone ( )
Date: September 14, 2013 05:35AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.