Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: silhouette ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 10:17PM

Been around 3 years since I resigned. Pretty simple exit. Told my bishop what I thought, wrote the letter, and got a free divorce and a prize for leaving the church. (I'm sure you know the story) Today I got a letter from the church (the seventy) saying my ex was granted a temple divorce but I would still need permission to get sealed if I so wished to. My resignation clearly stated that I was no longer a member, to remove me from their records and rolls, and to not contact my except for a single letter stating my wishes were complied with. Now, should I respond? And if so, what are your guys thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 10:21PM

I'd just ignore it.

Date: August 28, 2013 10:28PM

Yeah, that is my original thought... I mean I really don't care either way and I have no emotional strings attached to the church. But I feel like they still "consider" me a member (probably count me in their numbers), and feel as they can still contact and bother me anytime they want. But after I thought of all that I started second guessing it.

Posted by: nonamekid ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 11:02PM

Not responding is one option, but sometimes you just have to call people on their BS, so this would be my response:

Dear Mr. Whatever his name is:
Since you are apparently understanding impaired, I will clarify the situation as succinctly as I can. I resigned from your organization three years ago BECAUSE IT ISN'T TRUE. Therefore, I have no desire to participate in any of your silly rituals.

If you want to be even snarkier, add the following:

At that time, I also notified you that I did not wish to have any further contact from your organization. In view of that, I find your letter of [fill in date] intrusive, patently offensive, and a perfect example of why people have no respect for Mormons.

Posted by: shortbobgirl ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 11:12PM

I have forwarded your communication to my attorney. He/she says you have violated my earlier request for no contact. We are exploring my legal options. If I hear from you again, I will be forced to exercise them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2013 11:12PM by shortbobgirl.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 11:40PM

remove the word 'forced', and say (something like):

- it will be MY CHOICE to ( )

or

- My attorney will contact you Directly

don't say 'forced', it's a Choice

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 11:45PM

Dear Mr. ____ (Use Mr. it freaks them out),

I'm afraid you sent this letter in error. I am not a member of your church nor am I interested in ever becoming one. This information you have shared means less than nothing to me.

Sincerely,

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: August 29, 2013 10:40PM

No reason to respond. Ignore it. It doesn't apply to you anyhow. Put it in the Round File!

Posted by: nickname ( )
Date: August 28, 2013 11:52PM

"How did you get this address? I specifically asked for no contact from you people!"

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 29, 2013 12:03AM

The letter is not about you, it is about your ex. If you wish to have input, now is your chance. If not, ignore it. It is SOP for them to contact the other spouse when a sealing is being cancelled.

As for contacting a lawyer, while a 12 gauge shotgun will kill a fly, it is generally not cost-effective. Trashcan the letter and move on.

Posted by: Checker of minor facts ( )
Date: August 29, 2013 12:22AM

IMHO, any response you send them would only empower their imaginary authority they think they have over you and everyone else. Therefore, my advice is to completely ignore it. After all, its all cow poo-poo. TSCC is all false, fake and a fraud.

Posted by: gungholierthanthou ( )
Date: August 29, 2013 06:33AM

Are they keeping your contact info on file? Is there a file on you even after you've resigned? That is my fear, that they keep a file on me despite my resignation, counting me and treating me as a member behind the scenes no matter what I request. Grr.

Date: August 29, 2013 10:38PM

They absolutely keep a file. Your membership number never gets deleted. They can keep any and all records on you, there is no law against it. However if you ask for no communication then they are violating law.

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: August 29, 2013 10:45PM

Silly Rabbit, of course they're keeping a file on you after you resign. Just in case you have a lobotomy and then decide to return, they will pull your file and look to see why you left. Then you have the privilege of having to grovel your way back in because leaving for apostasy was way worse the fucking the bishop or the RS president on the sacrament table.

Posted by: ramonglyde ( )
Date: August 30, 2013 01:10AM

More imagery I would rather never have had. Would you people please stop it.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 29, 2013 06:39AM

Respond only if it will help you in some way.

Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: August 29, 2013 12:01PM

I agree with this. The one and only reason you should respond is if it does some good for you.

They don't really care if you respond or not. I'm willing to bet that you could write back with documented proof of all kinds of illegal activity and infidelity and they would proceed as if you hadn't written anything at all. They would write it off (as they already have done) as you are the angry bitter ex, willing to say anything to get back at him for some grievance.

Really, this process is a chance to further establish control over your ex and make him feel as if the temple marriage has some greater power... (See! temple marriages are so wonderful and important that we have to annoy your legally divorced ex about it)

It's not about you at all. I'd throw it out and forget about it as quickly as possible.

Posted by: notamormon ( )
Date: August 29, 2013 09:22AM

Does your ex have your address? Perhaps that is where they got it.

Posted by: misterzelph ( )
Date: August 29, 2013 11:53AM

Those sealing cancellation letters from QO70 are computer generated (I received one myself; welcome to the club!), apparently the 70's computer doesn't communicate with the main membership computer. Like Joe Peshi would say, "forgetahboutit"

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.