Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anon 2day ( )
Date: August 29, 2013 03:46PM

Until 3:05 AM starting September 9th. I'm sure if they had the choice they would drop it all together. I admit that I do occasionally watch "days". I was a huge fan in high school and college. KSLTV ( Mormon owned) the only NBC affiliate in Utah wants to control what the entire state watches again. They do not want to you watch "Will and Sonny" the gay couple living together on Days of Our Lives. So if you want to watch it on your TV, set your alarm for the middle of the night! I'll have to watch it online now.

They also are not picking up some new shows from NBC. I know one of those is Hannibal. I totally do not want to watch Hannibal, but that should be my choice.

I leave the church but am still controlled by it, as long as I live in Utah. I've got to get out of this state!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: closer2fine ( )
Date: August 29, 2013 03:50PM

Because we cant be trusted to make up our own moral minds. It might cause tbm members to become sympathetic to the gays. Gasp.

Posted by: transylvania ( )
Date: August 30, 2013 01:50AM

They claim to support man's free agency to choose yet don't allow you to actually practice free agency.

I see this in mormon parenting a LOT.

Posted by: Judith9 ( )
Date: August 29, 2013 04:07PM

Ugh!! How do we get NBC to drop KSL as their affiliate, and go with a different station? I'm so sick of this. I'm not a member of their stupid church. I resent them telling me what I can watch on TV.

Posted by: suzanne ( )
Date: August 29, 2013 11:10PM

seriously, youd think NBC would be sick of this crap!

Posted by: dydimus (not logged in) ( )
Date: August 29, 2013 04:08PM

I mean, I usually go directly to the Television sites (i.e. nbc.com or cwtv.com to watch episodes anyway. Or I watch HBOGO or VUDU, HULU, Crackle, etc...)

But you're right; censorship of any sorts is wrong, but sometimes it's the "advertising sponsor" that won't pay for some shows in areas (i.e. "Ellen" is syndicated and shows up on two different networks, depending on area due to homophobic local sponsors).

Posted by: closer2fine ( )
Date: August 29, 2013 04:12PM

Its a good thing they aren't responsible for sesame street......other wise we might miss out on Bert and Ernie, and their wonderful night time adventures. Hehehe

Posted by: HangarXVIII ( )
Date: August 29, 2013 04:24PM

Ughhh, this kind of Utah censorship-crap really gets under my skin. If people don't want to watch something on TV or have their children see something of which they disapprove THEY SHOULD USE THE GODDAMN PARENTAL CONTROLS. Every cable box/dish receiver has them, as well as most TVs. It really bothers me when these self-righteous pricks try to control what I choose to watch as an adult. I am not mormon, and I should not be forced to act like one. Venting complete.

Posted by: Once More ( )
Date: August 29, 2013 04:51PM

Link?

Posted by: JoyAGE ( )
Date: August 29, 2013 07:22PM

No more Days Of Our Lives!!! I Watched that in high school and in college. All the girls in my dorm would run home to watch it every day. I remember when Boe and Hope got married. yes, I'm old. I love to watch "Days" on sick days to catch up. There are some comments about it on the KSL5 Facebook page, but I couldn't get the link to work. Why does NBC have an affiliate that is owned by a church that refuses to air it's shows anyway?

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: August 29, 2013 07:23PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2013 10:41PM by steve benson.

Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: August 29, 2013 07:29PM

Why is KSL so upset? It's not like they're MARRIED or anything.

Posted by: erictheex ( )
Date: August 29, 2013 07:30PM

Teach them correct principles and control them anyway.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2013 02:07AM by erictheex.

Posted by: Whiskeytango ( )
Date: August 29, 2013 07:31PM

What is it that is offensive to KSL? Is it the storyline? Just gay folk in general? Are they Married? There have been loys of gay topics on some KSL programming,what is it about this that is troubling?

Posted by: sharapata ( )
Date: August 30, 2013 12:10PM

...for the sanctimonious suits at KSL!

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: August 29, 2013 07:35PM

Remember when the ABC affiliate in SLC wouldn't run "NYPD Blue", but the employees at the station would watch the feed at work anyway, & thought it was a great show?

I'm in CA, so I read about it in like the TV Guide or newspaper or something. I found it very hypocritical that they were watching it, but that the general viewership wasn't allowed to.

Posted by: wondering ( )
Date: August 29, 2013 09:11PM

It may have more to do about money. KSl is in the bible belt (I think). If large amounts of people boycott the show advertisers will pull the commercials due to lack of ratings. It could be for discrimination reasons also. In history is falls to money.

No advertisers equals cancel the show or move it to a different time slot.

Date: August 29, 2013 09:59PM

Bible Belt? I think not. SLC (where KSL is) is definitely in the heart of the Morridor though.

Posted by: wondering ( )
Date: August 30, 2013 12:13AM

I thought that was an abbrev for Kansas city. lol. not from
Utah never been there , sorry

but if it is in the Mormon belt people could be boycotting

Date: August 30, 2013 01:39AM

It's the call letters for the TV station. Usually it's 4 letters, sometimes it's 3.

TV & radio stations west of the Mississippi start with a K. East of the Mississippi start with a W.

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: August 29, 2013 10:06PM

KSL is in the Book of Mormon Belt.

Posted by: jong1064 ( )
Date: September 01, 2013 09:54PM

Ha Ha! Good one!

Posted by: saviorself ( )
Date: August 29, 2013 10:39PM

Can you get Days of Our Lives via DIRECTV.COM ?

Date: August 29, 2013 11:08PM

It is airing on the cable & satellite channel SOAPnet. So if you get that channel, you are good to go.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2013 11:08PM by Tristan.

Posted by: JoyAGE ( )
Date: August 29, 2013 11:54PM

I can watch Network shows on my computer. I'm not angry about Days of Our Lives disappearing from TV as much as I am angry that the Mormon Church thinks they can force their values on people outside of their church. This goes on in Utah all the time, I know, and I just hate it!

I had a Mormon tell me that if I didn't like the Mormon culture that I should just leave Utah. I would like nothing more, but our jobs are here. So we are stuck for a little while.

The fact that a religion can sensor National television in an entire state in The U.S. just amazes me!!

Posted by: MOI ( )
Date: August 30, 2013 10:28AM

'Days'? That crap is still on air? Everytime I happened to come across is, isn't the main plot about some Stevio Demetric, or whatever his name is, with an eternal 'hard on' over destroying the Abbots and the Newmans or something? Brady Newman? Sam Brady? Whoever HE is. And some idiot named Marlena possessed?

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: August 30, 2013 10:40AM

I'm assuming that there were extra-marital love affairs, pre-marital sex, coffee and alcohol consumption, and other things depicted in these shows that were not approved behavior for Latter-day Saints.

I think what they are afraid of would be gay characters, who are portrayed as normal human beings--at least as normal as it gets in a soap opera. It would not serve their agenda to have people begin to empathize with LGBT individuals as human beings.

Days of our Lives probably would not have caused the former TBM me to develop such empathy, but it might effectively reach other people--namely people who like shows like this. Mr. Boyd just can't allow that.

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: August 30, 2013 11:01AM

There must be some mistake. I distinctly remember hearing TSCC saying just a few months ago they in no way are biased against gays. I'm thinking OP got facts seriously wrong here.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: August 30, 2013 11:49AM

...because the real and present danger of humanizing gay people threatens the very bigoted values we hold dear.

Could it be that LDS, Inc. is willing to shrink to an anachronistic curiosity before it gives up its homophobia?

Or are we just waiting for the haters in the Q15 to die off and the more pragmatic "let's not let the ship go down" leaders take their places?

Anagrammy

Posted by: fluhist ( )
Date: August 30, 2013 08:57PM

I think it is HILARIOUS!!! What could be more fantasising and ridiculous than a soap opera, and yet they feel the need to BAN it? I mean REALLY??????? Even if there is a gay relationship in the plastic, everyone looks INCREDIBLE world of soap operas, who would think that they were anything like the real world?

In the real world, our hair is out of place from time to time, we are chubby, we need to bathe daily (alone even) and are not always picture model perfect and yes, we have gay neighbours whose company we enjoy, and who also do not have hair that always stays in place! WOW, weird stuff huh?

Posted by: sisterbear ( )
Date: September 01, 2013 09:46PM

I just found this out when setting my dvr. My cable provider dropped soapnet and the Las vegas NBC (I live in southern Utah) and put on KSL. I'm not Mormon but live in a very an almost 100%(only 2 kids my daughters grade are not LDS) neighborhood. Last Halloween I sat with some lds moms that were discussing Days and they were glad the storyline was on. I was shocked, but they certainly were not offended. I hate how a few upper ups at KSL think they know what everyone likes and feels. I wish I had another option to view Days but the old DVR will be set at 1:05(mine says 1:05 not 3:05).

Posted by: jong1064 ( )
Date: September 01, 2013 09:58PM

Anon 2day Wrote:
>
> I leave the church but am still controlled by it,
> as long as I live in Utah. I've got to get out of
> this state!!!

I am right there with you, Anon 2day! I live in Utah as well and I hate it. But I'm stuck here for at least another 5 years because of child custody issues.

This is why I get so upset about things like the church buying up all the property downtown and closing off part of Main Street. There is literally nothing you can do about it.

Posted by: Mrs.DoubtingThomas ( )
Date: September 01, 2013 10:32PM

I was not happy when I heard the new fall line-up on KSL... No Days?! I've been watching "DOOL" for a long time (since age 7 with my mom.) It was actually mentioned in Joanna Brooks' book "The Book of Mormon Girl" that she watched it with her mom. :) Thanks for the update. I was hoping that it would be at the 11:00 time slot, instead of showing "Dr. Phil" both at 11 and 3:00, but that would be too good. So sad it's because of the gay storyline. {Instead of the adultery, murder, violence, possession of the Devil story lines?!} The character Will came out a while ago, so I wonder why they waited *this* long to move it out of its long-time 2:00 slot. It's also available for free viewing on Hulu. But it won't be the same!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.